ADVERTISEMENT

2019/2020/2021/2022 Offers

How is it that the football team always throws out a bunch of offers and they're easily found online by just about anyone, but then we have basically no idea who gets offered for basketball? I know its less offers/scholarships, but I think its very telling...

Spiders football springs ahead with the constantly accelerating recruiting process

University of Richmond football coach Russ Huesman

Chris Anderson's final fall of high-school football, in Ohio, was 1994. He took his football recruiting visit to the University of Richmond after the completion of his senior season, around Christmas.

Anderson made a couple of other visits and orally committed to the Spiders in January, as he recalls, signing on the first Wednesday in February.

“You went to [summer] camps, if possible. With your [high-school] coach or your dad, whoever could help you out, you put together highlight tapes, and you sent them out [to college programs],” said Anderson, who became an all-conference defensive back at UR and is the analyst on the Spiders’ radio network.

“Things just happen so much quicker now. Now everybody has junior camps, combine days … ”

Richmond’s recruiting process for the high school class of 2019 started shortly after the class of 2018 was finalized in February. As of Wednesday, the Spiders’ staff had already issued about 15 scholarship offers to current juniors, with dozens more coming soon. UR's approach is typical among Division I programs.

The recruiting cycle seems to accelerate every year, and the NCAA recognized that by instituting a December signing period starting last year to go with the traditional February signing day.

“It used to be we’d identify kids, get them to come to (summer) camp, and make the majority of our decisions at camp,” said UR coach Russ Huesman. “Now, a lot of our decisions will be made without camp.”

Huesman and his assistants were on the road recruiting in May, and in recent days convened in a Robins Center meeting room to assess video of rising seniors identified as potential Spiders. Each assistant cut his list of 100 or so names in his recruiting area to roughly 25. Those recruits have already been determined to be academically admissible to UR.

The Spiders’ staff goes through several hours of evaluations each day, determining which prospects advanced by assistants will get (or have received) scholarship offers, which prospects will be put on hold for additional evaluation, and which prospects don’t currently fit Richmond’s needs.

UR’s plan is to make about 60 scholarship offers by the end of the overall video-analysis session. Several have been extended to prospects who are almost certainly headed to a higher level of collegiate competition.

The Spiders’ recruiting pool changes after UR’s staff sees players in summer camps, and again in the fall, when FBS programs cut their lists. Prospects dropped by Duke or Boston College, for instance, may develop interest in FCS schools.

Ultimately, Richmond will sign a class of 16 or 17.

The acceleration of the recruiting process has advantages. Most prospects orally commit before their senior seasons, a welcome development for the majority of them. Coaches can focus less on recruiting during the season, with a high percentage of their incoming classes having already committed.

And acceleration seems to have its disadvantages.

“I wonder what this does to the late-bloomer, what it does to the diamond in the rough, what it does to the injured kid?” said Anderson. “Do you miss out on those kinds of kids?”

Reactions: mojo-spider
Jeff Durden has been down here in GA and FL over a recent 2 week consecutive period.Met up with him for dinner here in SRQ last week.His itinerary included targeted visits to dozens of schools/players.High energy and focused.A real asset.Son played at Cornell and begins UVa medical school in Fall.UR camps begin June 1st.

Last edited:
Reactions: iSpider
32, I'm sure some effort by you to post these offers must be time consuming.
Thank you!
But why do it? Most of these kids have multiple offers and likely will not
be commits.
When does that start happening?

32, am really curious how many school's are available and how many offers the Spiders have out. One thing for sure is our guys are working hard!

I really like the OL and the DL recruiting going on as that seems to be a
heavy emphasis and of course some QBs and others mixed in. I think to
Annap's point, we may not get a lot of these kids, but the broader the base,
the better our odds.

Why not offer kids who are good fits for our program? So what that they have multiple offers. I’d be more concerned if they had few or no other offers. With multiple guys in the NFL and our history of making the playoffs plus outstanding academics, we are in a position to go after the best. Tired of the usual naysayers on any of the threads.

32, thought you had a great post above.not sure why you deleted, but would encourage you to repost.

Ultimately we need to hit on ~16 kids. That will require a lot of effort. I'm very interested to see how recruiting differs this year over last, given the time available. This staff seems very active. TJ Moon may be a secret weapon for us.

1.At least 60 offers have been made which are crossreferenced above.

2.FB Camps beginning this coming week and in mid-July.There will be more offers forthcoming as a result of high schoolers showing well at the camps.

3.No verbal commitments as of yet,at least not publically.

4.In all likelihood,there will be a resultant 85-90 offers which will eventually lead to 16 commitments.

5.The December 20 Early signing period has dramatically advanced the self imposed recruiting/offer calendar.

6.Preseason camp and regular season runs from August 1st through November 20.With the possible postseason,the season could be extended through January 1.The Initial signing date is December 20.The 2nd signing date is Feb 3.
The holiday Dead Period runs from mid December until mid January.The Spring practices culminated in late April.May-July are most critical for pressing the recruiting flesh out-of-office.

7.Our present FB coaches have now been with UR for less than 18 months and this is Russ' 3rd recruiting class.The 1st class was assembled over less than a 1.5 month period.
The rules changed for the 2nd class by instituting an early signing date of Dec 20 with the season ending only a month earlier.Now in full stride,Russ and his coaches have worked
diligently and invested time and energy since their UR arrival to earn the trust of high school coaches and players alike in order to articulate the benefits of playing football and receiving a UR education.That familiarity and trust should result in UR awarding over $1.0 million in annual scholarships to the best available student-athlete footballers for this class.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT