ADVERTISEMENT

2019/2020/2021/2022 Offers

Staff is really putting a huge (pun intended) emphasis on the trenches for this recruiting class.

Reactions: urfan1
Something the last two coaches didn't do. Give Heusman some credit for understanding where games are won and lost.

Reactions: urfan1
You guys obviously didn’t know the man. Yes, he may of had a drinking problem but
he was very proud to be the Spider Head Coach, and worked hard. He’s a good man,
that had a problem with alcohol.

I spoke with him a few months ago, he has nothing but praise for the University of Richmond.

Collegiate’s Nigel Williams taking off at QB

5bda37ef24941.image.jpg

Collegiate’s Nigel Williams, a 6-1, 185-pound junior, passed for 220 yards and five touchdowns in a victory over Fork Union two weeks ago. Williams has thrown for almost 1,200 total yards for the Cougars this season.

Dan Currier

When he looks to pass, Collegiate quarterback Nigel Williams has tall targets: 6-5 Ayinde Budd, 6-4 K.J. Rodgers and 6-3 Trey Boll.

“I think we’re a tough team to cover,” Collegiate coach Mark Palyo said.

Two weeks ago, Williams threw for 240 yards and five touchdowns in a 52-22 victory over Fork Union. He also ran for a TD. He threw for 217 yards and three TDs and ran for 91 yards in a 36-35 loss to Norfolk Academy last week.

He’s thrown for almost 1,200 yards as the Cougars (3-5) square off with St. Christopher’s (5-3) this week in a rivalry game with productive passing attacks.

Saints quarterback Patrick Routsis has thrown for more than 1,600 yards. Receivers Will Hayes (nine TDs) and Will Tazewell (two TDs) have combined for 52 catches and 597 and 410 yards, respectively. Hayes is 5-11. Tazewell is 6-4.

Williams, a 6-1, 185-pound junior, spent the past two seasons as a starting cornerback and backup quarterback. Palyo said Williams has become “more comfortable as the season’s progressed, and as the team has gained more experience.”

“We were pretty young up front [five new starters, three of whom are on the varsity for the first time],” he said. “Those guys needed to get some reps under their belt.”

Collegiate has scored 35, 52 and 35 points in its past three games but has gone1-2.

Palyo said Williams, a dual threat as a quarterback, is a college prospect in football and baseball. He’s been to camps at ACC schools.

“I know schools like him,” Palyo said. “I’m not sure [what position] just yet because he’s never been a starting quarterback. I know he’s a very good defensive back.

“He’s good on a zone read [as a quarterback], able to use his legs and read with the football according to what he sees. And he’s capable of sitting in the pocket, and if it breaks down, to take off. … I think he spins a really good ball.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT