ADVERTISEMENT

2016-17 Schedule

I think you mean the 2015-16 schedule. What I've gathered for non-conference is below (with last year's RPI). I think they are still looking for 1-2 more games.

(H)
Northern Iowa (12)
ODU (66)
JMU (203)
Liberty (329)
Bethune-Cookman (332)

(A)
Florida (45)
Wake Forest (124)
W&M (130)
Texas Tech (168)

(N) - Las Vegas
Two of three - TBA
West Virginia (26)
San Diego State (27)
California (113)

I think you mean the 2015-16 schedule. What I've gathered for non-conference is below (with last year's RPI). I think they are still looking for 1-2 more games.

(H)
Northern Iowa (12)
ODU (66)
JMU (203)
Liberty (329)
Bethune-Cookman (332)

(A)
Florida (45)
Wake Forest (124)
W&M (130)
Texas Tech (168)

(N) - Las Vegas
Two of three - TBA
West Virginia (26)
San Diego State (27)
California (113)

We can schedule 2 more games if I counted correctly.

Yes, I believe we will pick up 1-2 more games. Given our already known OOC schedule, I am kind of fine with those games being anyone with a sub 150 RPI type opponent. Maybe a Northeastern, Delaware, Hofstra type opponent. I think we have enough "meat" on our schedule to position ourselves well for at large consideration. Of course, if the opportunity to play another big name team pops up, I think you have to jump on that.

Remember seeing a Tribe fan report Shaver hinted during an interview around our game last year that we wouldn't be playing each other in 2015-16.

Remember seeing a Tribe fan report Shaver hinted during an interview around our game last year that we wouldn't be playing each other in 2015-16.

If this is the case then we have up to 3 more games to schedule. I am hoping for home games against teams in the 50-100 range, but that isn't very likely.

W&M without Thornton will be pretty weak next year. Their RPI will be very low. However I would rather play a weak instate school than a weak team from BFE.

W&M is a rivalry game, which means they will get up for the game and the upset potential increases. Granted if we lose to W&M next year, we don't deserve to dance.

I haven't heard anything conclusive about William and Mary. But I have heard we won't play them this year. If so, it may be due to the proactive search for meaningful games to play. I don't ever remember so much of our schedule being known this early in the year. It may be that we just couldn't find a compatible date to play.

We are very light on home games, I'm hoping we get some decent guarantee games, to fill out RC's schedule. I think it's helpful to the team, to play a good number of OOC games at home.

(H)
Northern Iowa (12)
ODU (66)
JMU (203)
Liberty (329)
Bethune-Cookman (332)

(A)
Florida (45)
Wake Forest (124)
W&M (130)
Texas Tech (168)

(N) - Las Vegas
Two of three - TBA
West Virginia (26)
San Diego State (27)
California (113)
Thank you sorry i missed typed.

Since we have played the Indians/Tribe/Griffins 200 times in men's basketball which equates to 8% of all the games we have ever played it is logical that they are considered a rival.

Reactions: wr70beh
They played us pretty tough at RC last year, so, yes they are a rival.

This is 2015 not 1972. Hell VMI was a rival back then. I was referring to basketball not football. No passion or intensity in those games anymore. We have moved on the last 30 years. Doesn't mean we can't have them play close to us on occasion or even beat us (hell, we can lose to Iona, Bucknell, etc. as we have done in the past) but that doesn't mean it is a rivalry any longer.

So I guess that RPI is our only true rival? Nobody else that is left in the A-10 would qualify IMO. Since Va Tech and UVA won't play us, I would say ODU, W&M and maybe JMU are rivals.

JMU is NOT a rival. Please stop scheduling them. They really should move to D- II where they belong.

TBS, JMU is a rival for Football, not basketball. It seems to me that two fan bases have to REALLY despise each other to be a true rival. I guess that is why RPI has sooooooo many Rivals!!!

Why not schedule a Patriot League team like Bucknell or BU? Stay away from America East teams. They're garbage.

(H)
Northern Iowa (12)
ODU (66)
JMU (203)
Liberty (329)
Bethune-Cookman (332)

(A)
Florida (45)
Wake Forest (124)
W&M (130)
Texas Tech (168)

(N) - Las Vegas
Two of three - TBA
West Virginia (26)
San Diego State (27)
California (113)

The Spiders need to try and get a home game with a potential mid-major conference winner. VCU has done a tremendous job of scheduling those games over the past few seasons to boost RPI and Mooney needs to do the same. Teams like Murray State, Illinois State, Buffalo...those wins are REAL helpful come selection Sunday when the committee is looking at OOC SOS, and it's A LOT easier to get home-and-homes with those schools. While they may not be as sexy as some mid-tier or even lower-tier BCS teams, they are more valuable in terms of SOS.

Curious to see what strides Wake makes next season. Those UNI and ODU wins could be real helpful as well.

Natty, I agree those games have worked well for VCU. There is some risk with those games if you don't select the right mid-major. We had a home-home with Ohio, Bucknell, Iona in recent years that ended up being good games for us, except for the fact that we got swept by Ohio and Iona and Bucknell beat us on a crazy buzzer beater play.

Had we seen this field completed before?

Las Vegas Invitational

Campus Sites: TBA
Finals at Las Vegas: Nov. 27-28

Host Teams

California Golden Bears (Pac-12)
Richmond Spiders (A 10)
San Diego State Aztecs (MW)
West Virginia Mountaineers (Big 12)

Visiting TeamsBethune-Cookman Wildcats (MEAC)
Hawaii Rainbow Warriors (Big West)
Liberty Flames (Big South)
Sam Houston State Bearkats (Southland)

...by Mike Muscala, who now plays for the top-seeded Atlanta Hawks. Kinda crazy.

You have to admit it was a money play. Very reminiscent of the Laettnar shot against Kentucky. Of course, if my memory serves me, Brothers missed a pair of FT's ice it, but the second one went of our bounds off of Bucknell. We proceeded to throw a full length court pass which no one touched and gave Bucknell the ball back, which set up the final play.

We worked very hard to lose that one.

97 you've got a great memory for detail...surely one of the more sudden and shocking Spiders last minute collapses and losses...I think we won the A-10 Tournament for the auto-bid, so luckily the loss did not impact our Tourney chances...

funny story...I believe the game was played at the end of New Year's weekend...apparently most of the college basketball world and media were taking the day off to watch the NFL, or college football bowls...

I caught the play on amateur video and posted it to You Tube...within 30 minutes I had e-mail requests from a half dozen national sports internet sites asking to use it...the highlight garnered close to 200K hits...you could add together all the other Spiders highlights I've posted over the years and not come close to 200K...

Here it is again from the "old" Robins Center...Go Spiders!

One more thing, didn't that play happen twice? I feel like it failed but they got to try it again.

Brothers hit 1 of 2 at the line to give us a 61-60 lead with 2 seconds left. Bucknell tried a Hail Mary inbounds but it sailed too far, turning it back over to us with no time taken off the clock. We inbounded and Anderson was immediately fouled, but he missed both free throws, giving them a second chance at the Hail Mary.

It's a really favorable schedule for us. Subbing in Fordham for Bona H&H, even though Neubauer is there now, should give us an extra win. URI and Bona will be tough road games, but I feel good about our odds at SLU and Duquesne. And getting all the others at home is huge.

If we can't get to 12-6 again with that A10 schedule layout, something's wrong. The key will be making hay in the OOC this year. We were behind the ball when conference play started this past winter.

Davidson
Home: LaSalle, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Saint Joseph’s,Duquesne, George Mason, George Washington, Richmond, VCU
Away: Dayton, Fordham, St. Bonaventure, Saint Louis,Duquesne, George Mason, George Washington, Richmond, VCU

Dayton
Home: Davidson, George Washington, Massachusetts, VCU,Duquesne, LaSalle, Rhode Island, St. Bonaventure, Saint Louis
Away: Fordham, George Mason, Richmond, Saint Joseph’s,Duquesne, LaSalle, Rhode Island, St. Bonaventure, Saint Louis

Duquesne
Home: Fordham, LaSalle, Massachusetts, Richmond,Davidson, Dayton, George Washington, St. Bonaventure, Saint Louis
Away: George Mason, Rhode Island, Saint Joseph’s, VCU,Davidson, Dayton, George Washington, St. Bonaventure, Saint Louis

Fordham
Home: Davidson, Dayton, George Mason, St. Bonaventure,LaSalle, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Richmond, Saint Joseph’s
Away: Duquesne, George Washington, Saint Louis, VCU,LaSalle, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Richmond, Saint Joseph’s

George Mason
Home: Dayton, Duquesne, St. Bonaventure, Saint Joseph’s,Davidson, George Washington, Richmond, Saint Louis, VCU
Away: Fordham, LaSalle, Massachusetts, Rhode Island,Davidson, George Washington, Richmond, Saint Louis, VCU

George Washington
Home: Fordham, LaSalle, Rhode Island, Saint Joseph’s,Davidson, Duquesne, George Mason, Richmond, VCU
Away: Dayton, Massachusetts, St. Bonaventure, Saint Louis, Davidson, Duquesne, George Mason, Richmond, VCU

La Salle
Home: George Mason, St. Bonaventure, Saint Louis, VCU,Dayton, Fordham, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Saint Joseph’s
Away: Davidson, Duquesne, George Washington, Richmond, Dayton, Fordham, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Saint Joseph’s

Massachusetts
Home: George Mason, George Washington, Saint Louis, VCU,Fordham, LaSalle, Rhode Island, St. Bonaventure, Saint Joseph’s
Away: Davidson, Dayton, Duquesne, Richmond,Fordham, LaSalle, Rhode Island, St. Bonaventure, Saint Joseph’s

Rhode Island
Home: Duquesne, George Mason, Richmond, Saint Louis,Dayton, Fordham, LaSalle, Massachusetts, Saint Joseph’s
Away: Davidson, George Washington, St. Bonaventure, VCU,Dayton, Fordham, LaSalle, Massachusetts, Saint Joseph’s

Richmond
Home: Dayton, LaSalle, Massachusetts, Saint Joseph’s,Davidson, Fordham, George Mason, George Washington, VCU
Away: Duquesne, Rhode Island, St. Bonaventure, Saint Louis,Davidson, Fordham, George Mason, George Washington, VCU

St. Bonaventure
Home: Davidson, George Washington, Rhode Island, Richmond,Dayton, Duquesne, Massachusetts, Saint Joseph’s, Saint Louis
Away : Fordham, George Mason, LaSalle, VCU,Dayton, Duquesne, Massachusetts, Saint Joseph’s, Saint Louis

Saint Joseph’s
Home: Dayton, Duquesne, Saint Louis, VCU,Fordham, LaSalle, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, St. Bonaventure
Away: Davidson, George Washington, George Mason, Richmond,Fordham, LaSalle, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, St. Bonaventure

Saint Louis
Home: Davidson, Fordham, George Washington, Richmond,Dayton, Duquesne, George Mason, St. Bonaventure, VCU
Away: LaSalle, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Saint Joseph’s,Dayton, Duquesne, George Mason, St. Bonaventure, VCU

VCU
Home: Duquesne, Fordham, Rhode Island, St. Bonaventure,Davidson, George Mason, George Washington, Richmond, Saint Louis
Away: Dayton, LaSalle, Massachusetts, Saint Joseph’s, Davidson, George Mason, George Washington, Richmond, Saint Louis

http://www.atlantic10.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=31600&ATCLID=210108820

Our away games are great, Duquesne, St. Louis and St. Bonaventure should all be winnable away games. URI will be tough. I think we have a really favorable schedule, and I really like being matched up for H+H with VCU, GW and Davidson every year. That will guarantee us a bunch of good games every year in conference. If GM can get back into shape our 'pod' will be a real RPI boost for the foreseeable future.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT