ADVERTISEMENT

UR vs. VCU Rematch

The advantage is Coach Mooney has been able to prepare for VCU for almost a week. Our team will be ready to play. Coach Mooney seems to coach his best games against VCU.

Our guys will have a finely tuned gameplan for tomorrow. We have big things in mind this week.

I really hope you guys are right. I'm exhausted from rooting for Fordham today. I really don't like playing RPI a third time.

Eight, Make shots and Free throws, take care of the ball, guard the 3 point line and rebound. All there is to it. :)

To quote 97 in another thread "I hope we remember the waxing they put on us up there." We need to come out determined and ready to go. We need to remember the hurt they put on us in NY last year.

If the Rams' shooting percentage in recent games does not improve, I love our chances.

Guard the 3 point line hard and make the academic all American Mo Alie-Cox try to beat us.

The winner probably won't be the team that makes the plays, but the team that makes the fewest mistakes. I think that favors the Spiders.

Hey, you go to college to get an education first. If Mo Allie Cox is doing well in school, mo power to him.

For those of you interested...I started THE OFFICIAL Beat FUR thread over on VCUramnation.com. I thought it was the right thing to do, just to help them along a little. Feel free to join in the fray over there. They love the thread and don't realize I am a UR guy. Go Spids.
laugh.r191677.gif

Official Thread

We can't take them lightly because we beat them twice this year. Because they have lost 6 out of 12 games since Weber shredded his knee doesn't mean that they will roll over.

We can't let anyone freak out. We've come too far. We've gotta KEEP OUR COMPOSURE!!!

keep-our-composure-o.gif

It's what you wish for, in college basketball. A classic contest. Alonzo may be the difference maker, this time.

Originally posted by MolivaManiac:
Just close out on Melvin Johnson. Keep him from hurting us and we will win.
Our defense has been really good against Johnson in both games. As I said last game, let Graham get his, and play lock down defense on Johnson and Lewis, and we will win.

Let's be honest here. VCU played one of the worst teams in the league, which also happened to be missing its best player, and only won by four points. Fordham had 16 turnovers (VCU only had 11), was outrebounded by 8 and only shot 38% for the game and STILL almost won.

Basically, Fordham played a decent to below-average game except for making 10 threes and easily could have won the game.

I'm not saying that we are a great team, but if we show up and play the way we have been in the past 3 weeks, we will win the game.

Fordham would have won the game if they knew how to box out and rebound. That was atrocious and the only reason VCU was able to score.

And we're wearing white. Plus we're close to our New Jersey campus. But most importantly, it's our Super Bowl. ; )

Well, they are Fordham for a reason.
Originally posted by sdspider:
Fordham would have won the game if they knew how to box out and rebound. That was atrocious and the only reason VCU was able to score.

Love the matchup. Did anyone hear Burton today try and say that RPI playing a game today was an advantage for them because they are now comfortable with the arena? Classic! Being on fresh legs is a huge advantage for us. I say SDJ goes off on them again. GO SPIDERS.

SDSpider, pssst.... We don't box out and rebound either. We sure need to tomorrow though!!!

Stolen from the vcu boards:

"All I know is that it's virtually unheard of to go 3-0 against any opponent in college basketball. Just doesn't happen. If I were a betting man, I'd put a sizable wager on the RAMS tomorrow.
Wrong. Look up statistics on this. In pretty much any sport (college basketball included), teams going in to a 3rd meeting that have won the first two win around 70% of the time. They win because they're better teams."

Burton also said that if they defend from 3 as poorly as they did today, that we are going to smoke them. I can't imagine him uttering those words 6 weeks ago.

This post was edited on 3/12 10:08 PM by URFan1

97. They will make up and the "do not disturb" sign will be on the door tonight.

2.5 Dog?

Holy crap! I love UR.

And I also love making easy money!

I'll bet our team with those odds all day long.

Don't get it. Neutral site. Depleted VCU squad. Earth to Vegas -- Spiders by 11.

Roll Spiders!

I'm not going to go all 'mudkat' on this point spread, but that line is awfully intriguing.

Is the fix in? After watching Fordham fumble the game to VCWho and the fact we beat them twice and have a days rest, hard to figure.

MudKat? That guy must have been kicked in the fellas too many times on here that he's decided to stay away.

We need to start strong, hoping the large arena atmosphere doesn't mess with our shooting too much.

This is a whole new ballgame, we need to forget the last two wins and get after it- really crash the boards and be very aggressive on both ends. If we can contain Graham and Johnson, and let the rest of the team try to beat us, I like our odds.

I don't think this will be an easy game at all, I hope the fresh spider legs can pull away down the stretch.

Lastly, I hope Alonzo plays well and the rust isn't going to affect the team chemistry. We need to rebound just as hard as when Zo was out, please no relying on Zo to clean it up as Kendall admitted the team did defer to him on D. Felt like VCU had way too many offensive rebounds and second chance points in the second half today. Got to limit that or we will be going home early. Go Spiders!

Hope we are significantly better than them.
Originally posted by URFan1:
Stolen from the vcu boards:

"All I know is that it's virtually unheard of to go 3-0 against any opponent in college basketball. Just doesn't happen. If I were a betting man, I'd put a sizable wager on the RAMS tomorrow.
Wrong. Look up statistics on this. In pretty much any sport (college basketball included), teams going in to a 3rd meeting that have won the first two win around 70% of the time. They win because they're better teams."
The fear is when two teams are evenly matched it's really hard to win 3 out of 3. The poster he responded to didn't include "evenly matched." Thus, the numbers are bloated because most of the time the team up 2-0 is significantly better... especially in college basketball when the first two games are split at each other's home venue.

I would love to think we are significantly better, but I know not. I do believe we are the better team now, and that's what matters. One thing I would like to see early in the game, K0 drive hard at Graham, cut at the last second causing Graham to twist hard on his weak ankle.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT