ADVERTISEMENT

UR vs. VCU Rematch

Coming down to the wire let's do this. We deserve to win controlled the whole game keeping VCU at bay. Don't need another Davidson type finish from the rams

Too many chances to put this game away and we're not getting it done, this game is going to get away

Coach seems to have advocated the try and waste time with no real offense gameplan. And that's going to do it.

So stupid--hey curious--what's Mooney's all time record in the A10 tourney? Except for 2011 my guess is its terrible.

Good 6 game run, but I am so tired of getting disappointed by this team time and time again. I don't care about the NIT, I'm not going to even pay attention. This team is the most frustrating that this school has produced.

Please Please do not let Davis start next year. I think he is a huge liability. Thanks Trey for Zero offense

Better than they are but cannot, repeat, cannot shoot free throws.
Only Kendall played well.

Effing Mooney his lackadaisical game/team management for the last 10 minutes of the game--how about tearing Trey Davis and ANO a new one for once.

Hard to win close games when you're 0 for 5 from the foul line, and opponent hits 16 of 19 free throws.

Awful. Shoot crappy 60% from the line and we tie.

How do we score so many points in the paint and not get more FTs???

Predictably, some will blame loss on Mooney. And I guess that's part of the job, but Mooney didn't cause the loss, the players did. We had an 8 point lead, and I sensed VCU players, then, picked up their intensity, but the Spiders did not. Turnovers allowed VCU back into the game.

Disappointed in their execution down the stretch. Late empty possessions, lack of aggressiveness (when refs are blowing whistles for breathing at other end of the court), missed FTs and 3-4 missed layups tell the story. Also playing "not to lose" usually means you'll lose. Kendall and all the guys played their hearts out and really hope they get to play some more in NIT. Not the result they wanted, but we need this team to keep playing and hopefully take some momentum into the offseason.

This post was edited on 3/13 5:34 PM by MidloTrader

Stay classy Spider Rick. Sorry Trey Davis bothers you so much. Wasn't his greatest game ever, but he doesn't deserve your sarcastic, biting posts.

Blast the guy that makes $1m if you must blast someone. We aren't Kentucky or Kansas. If fans acting like stains on the boards is what goes with the territory for these D1 players, then I feel sorry for them.

Heartbreaking loss, but thank you Spiders for a great run at the end of the season. Thanks for fighting to the end. Wish we got over the hump -- not our day.

Don't blast players blast coach he had them playing timid..CM reverted back to January.. He had no confidence in the short handed team that went on a run...changed philosophy second half

Best of Luck in the NIT!

Or CBI.

If Kendall Anthony needs any help moving, I can probably show up with 7,000 of my friends.

All due respect, glad to see him go.

Apparently I was watching a different game. We played well and with heart the whole time. We got a little unlucky at the end. Couple of really dubious calls and a super unlucky slip by K0 on a breakaway and we come up short.

They shot nearly 48% from 3. That was the difference (and us missing free throws). That's not a coaching problem, and it's not even a player problem, they just hit more key shots than us.

It was a great game, let's stop the blame game, geez.

Thought we played well. Vcu made plays down the stretch and we didn't. Very disappointing but this one is not on mooney, players need to make plays in crunch time

WestEnd, go back to the hole you came from. Kendall was a warrior today and has always been one for this team. He'll always be a beloved Spider! Something no one on this board will ever call you.

Originally posted by seattlespider:
Free throws kill us per usual.
Several weeks ago our free throw shooting turned south - even for the guys that are usually good foul shooters. I think this happened somewhere around the RI game but definitely from GW to end of season. One recent game we were 13 for 23...maybe vs. St. L? I commented on this board several times that I hoped we wouldn't be in a situation where poor foul shooting made a difference in a win or loss. Not sure one can pick out a category (rebounds, foul shooting, letting M A C dominate the boards, etc.), but I do think free throws cost us the game. We missed two attempts right before end of first half which would have given us the lead. Missing the few opportunities in 2nd half impacts momentum & play strategy.

VCU has been shooting poorly last several weeks from the field, but hit a bunch of 3's today...some uncontested.

Just a frustrating game to lose when we controlled almost the entire game.

Disappointing. Foul shots, and those two 4-5 point swings to VCU on fast breaks may haunt our guys for a few days.

NIT is no NCAAs, but it's the best post-season our guys have experienced. I hope we get a game or two at home, and fans and students come out to see good performances.

Originally posted by SpiderGuy:
Originally posted by seattlespider:
Free throws kill us per usual.
Several weeks ago our free throw shooting turned south - even for the guys that are usually good foul shooters. I think this happened somewhere around the RI game but definitely from GW to end of season. One recent game we were 13 for 23...maybe vs. St. L? I commented on this board several times that I hoped we wouldn't be in a situation where poor foul shooting made a difference in a win or loss. Not sure one can pick out a category (rebounds, foul shooting, letting M A C dominate the boards, etc.), but I do think free throws cost us the game. We missed two attempts right before end of first half which would have given us the lead. Missing the few opportunities in 2nd half impacts momentum & play strategy.

VCU has been shooting poorly last several weeks from the field, but hit a bunch of 3's today...some uncontested.

Just a frustrating game to lose when we controlled almost the entire game.
Neither free throws nor rebounding were the difference in this game. Sure, we left 5 pts on the board from free throws and yes, I understand how to count, but the real difference was from 3. They hit some sick shots. Doug Brooks hit an absurd contested shot with 1 second on the shot clock and MJ hit at least 3 of his 5 3ptrs from downtown. Crap happens man. Sucks, but I'm never gonna complain about a tough loss like that.

Here we go NIT.

This has been a real rollercoaster season for the team and fans.

I believe a lot of our frustration has to do with expectations. Expectations were high at the beginning of the season, many feeling we had a shot at finishing the OOC with 1 or 2 losses. That didn't happen and the early part of the A10 season didn't go well, either. Expectations were lowered, then we go on our late-season run, and they go up again.

At mid-season many here said that if we made the NIT this season, that would be a good result for this team. Well, here we are.

I hope we get a couple of home NIT games, so I have a chance to watch K0 play some more. We may even find ourselves going long in the NIT which would be great, much better than sitting here on Friday the 13th and looking forward to next year.

Very tough day. I truly believe we are the better team although not today. We just do not seem to have that killer instinct at the end of the game. VCU shot much better from three than they have all season. Unfortunately, it was against us. Lots to work on for next year. We should be pretty good. No point in hoping CM changes his attitude toward rebounding for next year so let's just hope we shoot 45% from 3 as a team. We'll miss Kendall Anthony. He was a pleasure to watch over these 4 years, but overall we should be better. There's still the NIT for this year too. I'll be there rooting hard for the guys. Hope everyone else will too. (Oh, and one more thing, if CM starts both Davis and Taylor next year, I really worry about his mental health. Both guys should be role players off the bench, period. They play hard and tough defense and can add a spark, but that's pretty much it.) Anyway, let's go to New York!

Congrats to RPI on their victory. Melvin Johnson's 23 were the difference. Now let's host 3 NIT games and make it back to New York.

Originally posted by PhiDeltaSpider:
Very tough day. I truly believe we are the better team although not today. We just do not seem to have that killer instinct at the end of the game. VCU shot much better from three than they have all season. Unfortunately, it was against us. Lots to work on for next year. We should be pretty good. No point in hoping CM changes his attitude toward rebounding for next year so let's just hope we shoot 45% from 3 as a team. We'll miss Kendall Anthony. He was a pleasure to watch over these 4 years, but overall we should be better. There's still the NIT for this year too. I'll be there rooting hard for the guys. Hope everyone else will too. (Oh, and one more thing, if CM starts both Davis and Taylor next year, I really worry about his mental health. Both guys should be role players off the bench, period. They play hard and tough defense and can add a spark, but that's pretty much it.) Anyway, let's go to New York!
Good one.

Agree that the rebounding strategy won't change. Mooney's too imbedded in other parts of the game being more important. Did it cost us any games this year??? I think the loss at GW was a prime example. If there's one thing he could change, I wish it was this.

CM is loyal to his players, and I only expect him to start Davis & Taylor. He's wedded to whatever his thinking is. Others on this site will probably disagree with you & me, but I see both of them as role players off of the bench. I can see TD as more a starter than DT. Both shot less than 50% from foul line this year. Isn't that a liability?

One of the keys will be filling the point void left behind by KA. Lord knows that TJ can score 20 a game if given ample playing time. I think he's got star quality...great shooter & wonderful passing. Sometimes I think he's too unselfish & passes up shots he has. I'd hate to see him rotated next year like this year. Another key is letting TJ & NO getting more minutes on the court at same time. Let TJ play the 4 & NO play the 5.

I agree trey and deion need to produce some offense. Trey indecision/walk gives you a sense of how he avoids offense

Trey had 6 pts today. Not sure what you expect. If he averaged 5 or 6 a game, most would be pretty happy. We simply need 4 players in double figures to have the best shot at a W and SDJ only had 7 today. Hope we get back to that next week.

You were watching a different game MrTbone. Heart is never an issue with this team they fought the whole way. And will in any game. But to say we played well "the whole game" is a flat out lie. If we did the game plan would have been better at the end and we wouldn't have been outscored so badly over the last 5 min of the game. Or had guys make so many mental mistakes. The reason we had so many close losses in my opinion is that our coach's ability to close out games is completely subpar. You need to win games when it matters...for the whole season. VCU certainly didn't this year but at least a lot of theirs was due to major injury and half a Graham for much of the season. But you know what they got--two wins when they needed them, in the tournament.

Mooney is now 7-9 in the A10 tournament and only has 5 winning A10 seasons out of 10. Is that considered successful? Merely a question because I'm not sure it is. 50%, should we expect more than that? Its now been 4 seasons since we've been in the NCAA Tournament and we've only gotten there twice in 10 years (20%). Is that acceptable? Not to me.

I'm not going to be mad if he moves on to another job and I'm not going to be upset if he's fired. I'll be at best indifferent if he comes back next year. He's only losing one senior so if he does come back anything but NCAA's next year and he should go because it will then either be his inadequacies as a coach or recruiter of talent--we need to be consistent winners at this level.

Mooney's record in the A10 tourney when less than 150 show up is 1-5. When more than 150 show up, he is 6-4.

Phi delt. Great post. We were the better team today but the better team doesn't always win. We killed vcu inside, on the fast break, but we didn't defend the 3, vcu made some clutch plays and we had a couple missteps in the final 3 minutes. Kendall slipped on the break, misses the front end of a 1:1, and trey had just a terrible travel on another fast break. I have placed the blame on mooney for a lot this season but I thought he out coached Shaka today, players just didn't execute down the stretch. I think ano return upset our rotations that have been working so well.

Mo, so you don't think 100 UR fans wasn't intimidating the refs? I already know the answer to that. 5 foul shots to 19 is the answer.

This post was edited on 3/14 2:24 AM by SpiderK

Originally posted by SpiderFan:

Mooney is now 7-9 in the A10 tournament and only has 5 winning A10 seasons out of 10. Is that considered successful? Merely a question because I'm not sure it is. 50%, should we expect more than that? Its now been 4 seasons since we've been in the NCAA Tournament and we've only gotten there twice in 10 years (20%). Is that acceptable? Not to me.
Well I would throw out the first couple of seasons because he had to do a complete rebuild here after Wainright left. I think he's done a decent job in getting the program pointed in the right direction.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT