ADVERTISEMENT

UR vs. VCU Rematch

Make Mo Ally Cox shoot jump shots. Or anything more than a dunk. Free throws, 2 footers, anything.

Zoom could be the difference maker. Just play defense,block/alter shots, and don't shoot three pointers. He's got to be rusty and not as physically fit after a month of sitting. I hope he at least has been running.

RPI is a fragile team mentally right now. I think we need a quick start. We need to come out and punch them in the mouth early and see how they react. Except for Grahm, I think we could really rattle every other player they have. Just close out on Johnson and make Grahm beat us on one leg. I love our chances today. Also, the bye is huge. Look how crisp most teams look during the regular season after a bye week. If you are playing a team away from home coming off a bye, more than likely you are going to lose. Hopefully it plays out that way today.

Guard that 3 point line early, don't let them get confidence from the outside. Set up and see if we can get an early charge or two on Graham.

Don't let them set the tone. We need to play our game and punch them in the mouth early.

In the six major conference tournaments so far, teams with an extra day of rest are 14-4.

Early game plan - Graham lowers his shoulder bowling over two Spiders and gets called for a charge and Shaka goes off on the lead official and gets ejected................then Graham protests and gets called for his third fowl early in the first half..............

I thought the game plan was to duck and have them poke the ref in the eye.

I think the key to the game will be stopping or limiting Graham for VCU. Its tourney time, and without Weber, he is going to be more ascertive on the offense end. Which for him - means driving hard to the basket most of the time and getting to the rim or getting to the free throw line.

Against Fordham - he took 20 shots and only got to the line 4 times. He did shoot a lot of three's, but I think against us - he has shown he rather drive as we tend to take away the three point shot as he went to the line 10 times and 18 times the last 2 games against us. He is the type of player that can keep VCU in the game on offense. We just need to make it tough on him, and stay out of foul trouble because you know he is going to try and run you over.

And as usual - we limit our turnovers, and this game should be ours to win.

Biggest thing to remember today is that we are wearing white, we are the higher seed. We need to dictate the way we want to play.

The run to the NCAA's begins today.

For those so inclined, the money line is VCU -130 / Richmond +110. Still sitting at 2.5 points

Mooney needs to get on the refs about handchecks early. We get them in foul trouble early, I love our chances

Originally posted by urmite:
I thought the game plan was to duck and have them poke the ref in the eye.
That plan would give Alie-Cox a flagrant 2....................but Shaka would go apoplectic and the ref would reduce it to a flagrant 1 although the ref would not be able to continue officiating.

To me a lot of the outcome depends on the refs. If they allow havoc to become hack attack it'll will be tough

Correct. RPI plays a very physical game and the constant bumping, riding up the court, and hacking is intended to wear the opposition down and played a large part in K Zero being tired at the end of the 2 OT game at Robins. Makes one long for the days of Gary Rich as an enforcer................

Refs didn't call VCU for a lot of fouls in our first two match-ups and we beat them. If the refs call a tight game, that could work in our favor but we also have a short bench, so it could cut against us as well.

RPI is a fragile team mentally right now. I think we need a quick start. We need to come out and punch them in the mouth early and see how they react. Except for Grahm, I think we could really rattle every other player they have. Just close out on Johnson and make Grahm beat us on one leg. I love our chances today. Also, the bye is huge. Look how crisp most teams look during the regular season after a bye week. If you are playing a team away from home coming off a bye, more than likely you are going to lose. Hopefully it plays out that way today.

FWIW Shaka in the pot game NBC interview said they need to dictate their style of play and be more aggressive against us. It will be interesting to see if that happens. I do agree though that these VCU games take a lot out of our guards and could be a factor in the semis if we get by em today

I'm a big believer in making them pay for pressing. can't slow the game down unless they drop back. if they press, beat it and score. when they miss shots and we rebound, they can't press.

Let's go Spiders. This will be first missed tournament for 24 years but I will be watching the game on TV. Let's beat VCU!

Playing good D VCU hitting some insane threes hope they cool off at some point

VCU just chucking up threes and hitting we are the better team let's see if we can gain some traction here cmon spiders

They've made 6 threes in a row and still aren't winning. I'll take that. They ain't shooting like that much longer.

I'm not worried about their shooting. That cannot continue, and they're going to keep shooting and start missing a bunch. We just have to play smarter. Taylor needs to sit the bench for a long time.

Love the crowd shot of the VCU fans with the dude pumping middle fingers at everybody.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT