ADVERTISEMENT

@ George Mason 2/9

Nelson is the truest of true point guards that we have, which is why I think he gets the opportunity next year. Plus now he’s had a year in the system on top of that. He has the ability to score, like both KAs and Gilyard, which I think makes him more multi-dimensional than Wilson.
I don’t necessarily disagree…but and I’m biased here…but Dji is true point as well and that’s what he was recruited for at Wake and others. He has something Jason doesn’t and that’s versatility bc of his size and skill set. I truly wish he would be able to play just pg (me being dad) but I’m not that naive to think he couldn’t help us in other areas. Dji is a playmaker and i think Jason is and can be more so than Zay. That’s why he and Dji are going to be important next season. Having 2 “true” PGs on floor can be a plus bc I think both have really high IQs. Zay can find his role at what he does best…defense.

I think we're being more hopeful than confident that Jason is a star PG in waiting. and if he is, it certainly doesn't mean Mooney (or someone else) won't start him with Dji. Mooney in particular loves playing 2 PGs.

there are many lineup posibilities. I absolutely hope Burton plays big forward. I think that helps to put our best current 5 players on the floor. but without any inside scoup, I do hope we land a strong frontcourt player. whether it's a 4 that keeps Burton at the 3, or a 5 which opens up all sorts of possibillities is the unknown.

I don’t necessarily disagree…but and I’m biased here…but Dji is true point as well and that’s what he was recruited for at Wake and others. He has something Jason doesn’t and that’s versatility bc of his size and skill set. I truly wish he would be able to play just pg (me being dad) but I’m not that naive to think he couldn’t help us in other areas. Dji is a playmaker and i think Jason is and can be more so than Zay. That’s why he and Dji are going to be important next season. Having 2 “true” PGs on floor can be a plus bc I think both have really high IQs. Zay can find his role at what he does best…defense.
I'd love to see Nelson and Dji in the backcourt. Would be nice to have two great ballhandlers who can also score in different ways. I get the sense that Dji can slash like Goose does (correct me if I'm wrong), and that's something that we need desperately to mix it up.

I'd love to see Nelson and Dji in the backcourt. Would be nice to have two great ballhandlers who can also score in different ways. I get the sense that Dji can slash like Goose does (correct me if I'm wrong), and that's something that we need desperately to mix it up.
No, you are correct. He can and I think him and Gus are similar but Dji is more athletic and longer which benefits him more I think once he gets inside.

Maybe just maybe one of those irons that in the transfer fire pans out(all I can say at this time) and we could have a solid lineup.
So I know less than nothing about what goes on behind the scenes of a D1 basketball program for things like this, does this mean that the staff has their feelers out to potential transfers already, and they share that information with the current team about who they are trying to get to transfer?

So I know less than nothing about what goes on behind the scenes of a D1 basketball program for things like this, does this mean that the staff has their feelers out to potential transfers already, and they share that information with the current team about who they are trying to get to transfer?
My info comes from my family connection 😃. I think it would be great if it comes to fruition.

No, you are correct. He can and I think him and Gus are similar but Dji is more athletic and longer which benefits him more I think once he gets inside.
Goose might actually be our best returning athlete. Haven’t seen it - not his fault - but hope Dji is that athletic.

anyway I wouldn’t worry about lineups next year. The new coach may press and play small ball who knows.

Reactions: Eight Legger
Honest question… why now do the majority on the board think Coach will play a Fr next season over other older guys? Maybe not a majority but several…Yes I know we won’t have as many options next season. I believe you are right Jason will be really good and in fact I give him the nod personally over Zay. With that being said…I think Gus returns & you could have a big lineup with not even starting Zay or Jason. Dji, Gus, and Tyler would be a big set of guards and wing. Maybe just maybe one of those irons that in the transfer fire pans out(all I can say at this time) and we could have a solid lineup. Or put Jason in that lineup above with 3 guards Tyler at 4 and player X at the 5. That gives you Grace and Waltz as solid backups. That’s a solid lineup plus Mo, and Marcus with solid minutes.
I don’t follow high school hoops, but even without doing that had heard about Nelson so it seems he has lots of potential. I saw him warming up Gilly (basically messing around during warmups in street clothes) and there was no doubt that kid can handle a basketball. Made Gilly’s passes look average. I fully expect Nelson at PG next year.

Seems to me Dji would know where he stands, since he is at all the practices. All he needs to do is get healthy. I am sure there is a starter role for him, especially if Goose doesn’t come back and I guess no one will know the answer to that question until after the season.

Reactions: SpiderDad75
I don’t follow high school hoops, but even without doing that had heard about Nelson so it seems he has lots of potential. I saw him warming up Gilly (basically messing around during warmups in street clothes) and there was no doubt that kid can handle a basketball. Made Gilly’s passes look average. I fully expect Nelson at PG next year.

Seems to me Dji would know where he stands, since he is at all the practices. All he needs to do is get healthy. I am sure there is a starter role for him, especially if Goose doesn’t come back and I guess no one will know the answer to that question until after the season.
Yeah I agree, I think no matter what Gus does…it may not effect Djis time, but who knows for certain except coach.

Man, forgot all about that guy.

In regards to Nelson and smaller point guards, I believe Mooney came in with the idea that he would have tall back courts. As soon as Kevin Anderson hit the floor that seemed to shift in the other direction, probably partly because the p6 schools are easier to beat for the sub 6 foot guards.

Hopefully all this discussion on players and roles is with a new coach.

I do like the scenario with both Dji and Nelson in the back court together. One or both are going to need to prove they can consistently hit threes. That has been a huge issue this season with no consistent threat at the other guard and Gilly in a slump until recently.
Me too😀 I agree and Dji knows that again will be a point of emphasis for him this off season. He still rehabs his wrist trying to get more range of motion. We def are going to need knock 3s down next season.

Me too😀 I agree and Dji knows that again will be a point of emphasis for him this off season. He still rehabs his wrist trying to get more range of motion. We def are going to need knock 3s down next season.
Here’s the lineup I want to see this year:

Gilyard
Goose
Dji
Burton
Golden

We don’t play defense nor rebound particularly well, so let’s go with shooters and a fast offense!

More realistic startling lineup would be to replace Cayo with Grace.

Honest question… why now do the majority on the board think Coach will play a Fr next season over other older guys? Maybe not a majority but several…Yes I know we won’t have as many options next season. I believe you are right Jason will be really good and in fact I give him the nod personally over Zay. With that being said…I think Gus returns & you could have a big lineup with not even starting Zay or Jason. Dji, Gus, and Tyler would be a big set of guards and wing. Maybe just maybe one of those irons that in the transfer fire pans out(all I can say at this time) and we could have a solid lineup. Or put Jason in that lineup above with 3 guards Tyler at 4 and player X at the 5. That gives you Grace and Waltz as solid backups. That’s a solid lineup plus Mo, and Marcus with solid minutes.
Unless there is a transfer that I know nothing about, my starting backcourt next year is Nelson & Bailey.

But, that was not my point. My point was that I have seen Mooney for 17-years. He has REPEATEDLY (and stubbornly) hurt his teams by playing the wrong personnel, in the wrong situations, for far too long. What is glaringly obvious to the majority takes a while for Mooney to figure out. You can name player after player that fans in the stands and on this forum have been calling for that Mooney had mostly sitting on the bench (sound familiar).

T.J. Cline is one example. He was playing a small part in his early time at Richmond. It was so obvious that he was top flight, and we were screaming for his role to expand. For far too long, Mooney had him playing limited minutes and we (rightfully) complained mightily. We all know that Cline ended up being one of the best players ever @ UR. Surprise! No, it was obvious very early to everyone but Mooney.

The same exact scenario played out with Shawndre Jones. He was mostly sitting on the bench in his early career. Those of us in the stands were calling for him to play more because it was obvious that he had high potential. He never got much chance until late year when an injury forced Mooney to get him more time. Surprise to Mooney! He turned out to be a great player. Very similar situations with Terry Allen and Kendall Anthony. I can remember sitting in Section 7 literally screaming at Mooney to "put Kendal Anthony in the game" more early in his career. The list goes on and on.

Mooney would likely argue that he was grooming them, developing them until they were ready, etc. That is crap when it is blatantly obvious to the knowledgeable observer that they should be getting more time and Mooney has them riding the bench. Your son is one of the guys that falls into this category this season. As you know, me, and many others have been calling for him to have an expanded role all year. Mooney is ALWAYS slow to come around.

So, I stand by what I said previously. I think that Nelson will be the next great small guard at Richmond. But, I'm also willing to bet big as to how Mooney will screw around with him on the bench for far too long. When you have seen Mooney year-after-year, you don't really have to be Nostradamus to know how he will behave.

Lindsay was a senior and Anthony a junior when SDJ was a freshman. who did you want him taking more time from? he still got over 13 mpg ... granted most of that came when Ced got hurt.

and Kendall played 25.5 mpg as a freshman despite having Ced and Brothers as starters.

I don't think Mooney's personnel blunders are as obvious as you remember. I don't think Mooney stunted the growth of SDJ or Kendall or Gilyard or any of our successful guards.

Unless there is a transfer that I know nothing about, my starting backcourt next year is Nelson & Bailey.

But, that was not my point. My point was that I have seen Mooney for 17-years. He has REPEATEDLY (and stubbornly) hurt his teams by playing the wrong personnel, in the wrong situations, for far too long. What is glaringly obvious to the majority takes a while for Mooney to figure out. You can name player after player that fans in the stands and on this forum have been calling for that Mooney had mostly sitting on the bench (sound familiar).

T.J. Cline is one example. He was playing a small part in his early time at Richmond. It was so obvious that he was top flight, and we were screaming for his role to expand. For far too long, Mooney had him playing limited minutes and we (rightfully) complained mightily. We all know that Cline ended up being one of the best players ever @ UR. Surprise! No, it was obvious very early to everyone but Mooney.

The same exact scenario played out with Shawndre Jones. He was mostly sitting on the bench in his early career. Those of us in the stands were calling for him to play more because it was obvious that he had high potential. He never got much chance until late year when an injury forced Mooney to get him more time. Surprise to Mooney! He turned out to be a great player. Very similar situations with Terry Allen and Kendall Anthony. I can remember sitting in Section 7 literally screaming at Mooney to "put Kendal Anthony in the game" more early in his career. The list goes on and on.

Mooney would likely argue that he was grooming them, developing them until they were ready, etc. That is crap when it is blatantly obvious to the knowledgeable observer that they should be getting more time and Mooney has them riding the bench. Your son is one of the guys that falls into this category this season. As you know, me, and many others have been calling for him to have an expanded role all year. Mooney is ALWAYS slow to come around.

So, I stand by what I said previously. I think that Nelson will be the next great small guard at Richmond. But, I'm also willing to bet big as to how Mooney will screw around with him on the bench for far too long. When you have seen Mooney year-after-year, you don't really have to be Nostradamus to know how he will behave.
This is infuriating to read. I recall many of this frustration as well — Cline should’ve gotten a real shot way earlier on.

Reactions: SpiderRick
The last minute of regulation was a clinic in Mooney basketball. Try to take the air out of the ball under a minute when we have had trouble all night getting into our offense, end up with a shot clock violation. Have a chance to win it at the end of regulation, don't even get a shot off.

In overtime, we foul them twice about 70 feet from the rim, another time in the corner at the 3 point line, that gave them 6 FT's which they hit them all and then of course when we actually have to foul them, we let 10 seconds run off the clock before doing it.

Epic failure for the most experienced team in college basketball. Meanwhile, the team that a new coach put together with a bunch of transfers late last summer looks poised at the end of the game, making the plays, executing, hitting FT's. Again, "Expert Level Losers" is what this team is.
HOOOOOOOOLD up a minute. We had EXACTLY the thing we wanted for the last 2 possessions. First, we stole the 2 for 1 situation from Mason by getting a basket in 4 seconds. Then, for our last possession, we had Gilyard with the ball on a high ball screen. It works, and it worked 2 nights prior. There's literally nothing that Mooney could have called or demanded that would be better than what we had going on that possession. Mooney is absolutely not the reason we didn't get a shot off.

We didn't get a shot off because for some ungodly ****ing reason Gilyard got himself free off the screen, had an open elbow jumper, rose to take the shot (2 days after hitting a dagger in exactly the same situation), and... inexplicably fired a pass to Burton cutting at full speed under the backboard with a guy all over him.

There's all kinds of shit to blame Mooney on, but this is NOT one of them. This was on Gilyard.

HOOOOOOOOLD up a minute. We had EXACTLY the thing we wanted for the last 2 possessions. First, we stole the 2 for 1 situation from Mason by getting a basket in 4 seconds. Then, for our last possession, we had Gilyard with the ball on a high ball screen. It works, and it worked 2 nights prior. There's literally nothing that Mooney could have called or demanded that would be better than what we had going on that possession. Mooney is absolutely not the reason we didn't get a shot off.

We didn't get a shot off because for some ungodly ****ing reason Gilyard got himself free off the screen, had an open elbow jumper, rose to take the shot (2 days after hitting a dagger in exactly the same situation), and... inexplicably fired a pass to Burton cutting at full speed under the backboard with a guy all over him.

There's all kinds of shit to blame Mooney on, but this is NOT one of them. This was on Gilyard.
Oh, I'm not disagreeing that Gilly is solely to blame for the end of game play. He should have 100% taken that shot. He didn't, which is ironic because he peacocked around after making a shot the last game saying how big time players make big time shots and then the very next game, he literally doesn't even take the big time shot. Weak sauce.

I didn't articulate well but it was the possession before the final minute, when we were up 3 (under 2 minutes), where we took the air out of the ball and ended up with a shot clock violation (I think someone put up a wild 3 at the end that had no chance). That was called from the sideline. We have been having difficulty for two straight games getting into our offense and getting up a good shot, so it makes zero sense to run it down to 10 seconds and then expect us to get a good shot off. Of course, we didn't get a good look, Mason comes down and promptly pumps in a 3 to tie it. And then the last minute happened.

Lindsay was a senior and Anthony a junior when SDJ was a freshman. who did you want him taking more time from? he still got over 13 mpg ... granted most of that came when Ced got hurt.

and Kendall played 25.5 mpg as a freshman despite having Ced and Brothers as starters.

I don't think Mooney's personnel blunders are as obvious as you remember. I don't think Mooney stunted the growth of SDJ or Kendall or Gilyard or any of our successful guards.
I remember this well because I was screaming for SDJ to get more minutes as a freshman. He did but as you note it was only because Ced got hurt and Mooney was forced to do so. What I remember about that year is that how Ced was playing on some bum knees and shoulders, Mooney rode him like e a mule, and then he eventually broke down and got hurt.

Not saying, that was Mooney's fault, but you got a guy playing hurt and a young buck freshman showing he can play, so maybe you consider both and give the guy playing hurt some more rest during games and similarily give this young freshman some of that time. Kind of a win-win in my opinion. Of course, that was not how Mooney played it.

Reactions: Not-A-Homer

Good post. You only pass that ball if Burton is wide open for a slam.

My recollection with TJ was that he wasn't physically conditioned enough to play more his first year with us. Not sure how true that was but it was the rumor.

My recollection with TJ was that he wasn't physically conditioned enough to play more his first year with us. Not sure how true that was but it was the rumor.
partly that, but also Mooney didn't like having ANO and him on the floor together too much. I did want to see it more. think it would work. but that's not the lineup he chose.

Oh, I'm not disagreeing that Gilly is solely to blame for the end of game play. He should have 100% taken that shot. He didn't, which is ironic because he peacocked around after making a shot the last game saying how big time players make big time shots and then the very next game, he literally doesn't even take the big time shot. Weak sauce.
he's not a "me" first player like you seem to make him out to be. he made the big play a game before. he tried to make the right play here too. he saw it wrong. or Burton was forced behind the basket.

the ball's in Gilyards hands a lot and he usually makes the right play. but not always. doesn't make it weak.

What I remember about that year is that how Ced was playing on some bum knees and shoulders, Mooney rode him like e a mule, and then he eventually broke down and got hurt.

Not saying, that was Mooney's fault, but you got a guy playing hurt and a young buck freshman showing he can play, so maybe you consider both and give the guy playing hurt some more rest during games and similarily give this young freshman some of that time.
I was at the Fordham away game, Ced was really struggling, then went out of the game seemingly injured his knee badly. SDJ came in and hit a couple of huge threes - and Ced limped back into the game immediately.

If you are going to go in the post game as he did the game prior and pound your chest about big players make big time shots and then you go out the very next game and are presented with the opportunity to take another big time shot and you Ben Simmons it up, that is weak. Don't talk smack if you don't back it up.

I can see the philly fans are going to have a lot of fun when Simmons comes back. I bet he takes a sick day that game, a la Kyrie coming back to Boston.

I do think there was contact with Burton cutting through the lane, but that is normal, its just that Gilyard decided to pass to him at that time? And then I think Burton tried to sell the call instead of catching the ball, but he was put in a hard bang bang play so I can understand. I do agree Gilly should have shot it. KA, Gonzo and Butler take that shot.

Reactions: 8legs1dream
I can see the philly fans are going to have a lot of fun when Simmons comes back. I bet he takes a sick day that game, a la Kyrie coming back to Boston.

I do think there was contact with Burton cutting through the lane, but that is normal, its just that Gilyard decided to pass to him at that time? And then I think Burton tried to sell the call instead of catching the ball, but he was put in a hard bang bang play so I can understand. I do agree Gilly should have shot it. KA, Gonzo and Butler take that shot.
Just looked up tickets for that game. But yeah, your right, no way is he playing that game. He will be out for rest of knee soreness. If he does though, oh man, if Philly fans ever had a reason to not be on their best behavior, this will be it and as we know Philly fans don't need any excuses anyway. I honestly hope they meet in the playoffs, it will be much see TV, in both places. Harden's gonna get some shit in Brooklyn too.

Reactions: 8legs1dream
I am not understanding why we didn't get the ball inside to Golden towards the end (I don't recall if he was available rather than Burton on the play being discussed above). At the very least if he gets fouled he is usually a better free throw shooter than Cayo.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT