ADVERTISEMENT

@ George Mason 2/9

Im not saying we will have a good team, or better players next year, im saying that I will not miss watching this bunch play. They are frustrating as hell to watch.

It's not the players. This is the same staff that couldn't win with TJ, SDJ, and T.Allen in the same starting lineup. These players are plenty talented enough to make NCAA. Execution down the stretch has been lacking since KA left in 2011. That's a coaching issue. Coaching matters and it continues to cost class after class @ UR.

Its both players and the coach. The problem is - with college basketball and fact your talking about 18-21 year old kids (or in Grant's situation 24 years old) - you are not really allowed to blame the players. One good quote I took from JW (he had a lot of them) - but he told me once - players win games, and coaches lose games. That is just the reality of the business in college athletics. But that is also part of the reason these coaches command such big salaries - because their livelihood as a coach depends on the actions of a 19 year old.

But a few observations from this game.

1) Defense - our defense wasn't terrible, but not good enough to win this game. And we had mental breakdowns on defense as well. Like at the end of OT - down 2 with 43 seconds and Cayo fouls intentionally in the backcourt. Even the announcers said it - I doubt Mooney gave that instruction. With 43 seconds - play defense, get 1 stop and should get ball back with 15 seconds left. But instead we foul - they make both and go up 4 and we get lucky with Goose 3, but we know the ending.

2) Turnovers - we had 14 turnovers against a Mason team that is not great. Too many. They pressured Burton and made him put the ball on the floor and make decisions and it showed some weakness we all knew existed. Not greatest ballhandler and not greatest decision maker. Result - 4 TO for Burton. 3 for Cayo. Too many for experienced players like themselves.

3) Burton - if I were the coaching staff, I would show the last play to Burton over and over again where the Mason player forearm checked him to the ground at the end of the game. Yes - the refs made the foul call. It looked possibly intentional - but I would play this over and over to Burton to let him know - all this talk about you being best player, possible NBA, etc - you have a target on your back. Guys are going to come after you to shut you down, and get in your head - what are you going to do about it. And if you think it is bad this year - wait till next year. This year you at least have Grant, Gilyard, Sherod, Cayo, and even Goose who is playing well - to back you up. Next year - all those guys will be gone (maybe Goose comes back).

Not a game we could afford to lose, but we always have trouble with Mason. Really all we can hope for now is stay injury free rest of season. Maybe end the season with a good 2-3 game winning streak heading into tourney to give guys some confidence.

I may be in minority but I actually liked the announcers think they did a good job for most part

Yes should have been travel at Oduro near end of reg. Had a chance to get him out of game with fouls late or early in OT but didn't try.

Goose is only player on team who can make anyone on O uncomfortable

Vet team didn't even get a shot off to win end of reg then panicked in OT

Not sure why Cayo was in late. The possession I hated most came around 3 min mark we run O through Cayo then we get a wing missed 3 from Golden who never takes them from that area.

Goodbye top 4 seed
Goose is best defensive player. He is from Finland. What does that mean to everybody ? Means something to me. Basketball is funny sport I think. Who knows , we can win a10 end of year or lose in first round, and either one not a surprise,

All is not lost - we will probably meet GMU again this season in either the A-10 tourney or the NIT for the rubber match to determine which is the better team.

Goose is best defensive player. He is from Finland. What does that mean to everybody ? Means something to me. Basketball is funny sport I think. Who knows , we can win a10 end of year or lose in first round, and either one not a surprise,
Yes. Goose is willing to take some contact on defense and stay after it.

All is not lost - we will probably meet GMU again this season in either the A-10 tourney or the NIT for the rubber match to determine which is the better team.
Unfortunately, I think we already know which is the better team – it's the one that hired a new coach and signed four transfer starters over the summer, not the one with the 17-year head coach and four guys who have been here for five or six years.

Reactions: spider fan
In person record now 11-4 (2-2 away from RC, 9-2 RC). I've yet to see any real replays from last night - very few if any in the arena but at least live beyond the ref mess, we lost the game with the shot clock violation around the minute mark when we were up by 3 and the final possesion at the end of regulation. Would much rather have seen us give Tyler the ball at the 10 second mark or so and let him drive to the hoop to either get the basket or a foul. Also - crazy to me that we lost 10 seconds from 25 to 15 second in OT when we failed to foul. Sigh.

Yes fezz except for the last part. Winning A10 would be a huge surprise, just look at Moon's A10 tourney abysmal performance, but still hope it happens.

Wondered early on, particularly in first half, why Oduro could camp in the lane to keep getting his own missed shots? Guess the 3 second rule no longer applies. One time he was in there for over 8 seconds.
just fyi ... once a shot goes up nobody has possession. the 3 seconds count resets to 0. the count starts again if an offensive player regains possession.

Reactions: spider23
I’m pretty sure I said the refs were terrible for both sides and that we can’t blame them for the game?
personally, I do blame them. I don't care about other missed calls. yes, they made errors both ways. yes, there were other moments when we could have done more to win anyway. but with 23 seconds left, that kid took 5 steps to tie the game.

Burton usually lets the game come to him. he forced it a lot last night. but that non-call was game changing. and blatant.

In person record now 11-4 (2-2 away from RC, 9-2 RC). I've yet to see any real replays from last night - very few if any in the arena but at least live beyond the ref mess, we lost the game with the shot clock violation around the minute mark when we were up by 3 and the final possesion at the end of regulation. Would much rather have seen us give Tyler the ball at the 10 second mark or so and let him drive to the hoop to either get the basket or a foul. Also - crazy to me that we lost 10 seconds from 25 to 15 second in OT when we failed to foul. Sigh.
The last minute of regulation was a clinic in Mooney basketball. Try to take the air out of the ball under a minute when we have had trouble all night getting into our offense, end up with a shot clock violation. Have a chance to win it at the end of regulation, don't even get a shot off.

In overtime, we foul them twice about 70 feet from the rim, another time in the corner at the 3 point line, that gave them 6 FT's which they hit them all and then of course when we actually have to foul them, we let 10 seconds run off the clock before doing it.

Epic failure for the most experienced team in college basketball. Meanwhile, the team that a new coach put together with a bunch of transfers late last summer looks poised at the end of the game, making the plays, executing, hitting FT's. Again, "Expert Level Losers" is what this team is.

personally, I do blame them. I don't care about other missed calls. yes, they made errors both ways. yes, there were other moments when we could have done more to win anyway. but with 23 seconds left, that kid took 5 steps to tie the game.

Burton usually lets the game come to him. he forced it a lot last night. but that non-call was game changing. and blatant.
Unfortunately refs in college and NBA almost never call walks, they can't seem to see the upper body/arms (looking for contact/fouls) and the steps at the same time. Yes no call sucked, but we did not get the slow mo replay of Cayo's feet either.

The last minute of regulation was a clinic in Mooney basketball. Try to take the air out of the ball under a minute when we have had trouble all night getting into our offense, end up with a shot clock violation. Have a chance to win it at the end of regulation, don't even get a shot off.

In overtime, we foul them twice about 70 feet from the rim, another time in the corner at the 3 point line, that gave them 6 FT's which they hit them all and then of course when we actually have to foul them, we let 10 seconds run off the clock before doing it.
But it was refs fault?

Reactions: Spiders4ever
We're going to miss the hell out of Gilly. Scary to think about our guard play next year unless Jason Nelson is the answer. Also hoping DJI is well and plays well.
I am confident that Nelson is the next great small guard at Richmond. The problem is going to be that Mooney will spend at least 1/2 a season (maybe more) going with Wilson. Mooney will do this because he is Mooney. We have seen him coach for 17-years, and I am confident that I can predict his decision-making patterns.

That will ultimately hurt the team and slow Nelson's development. Lose, lose.

I'm willing to take bets if any disagree.

Unfortunately, I think we already know which is the better team – it's the one that hired a new coach and signed four transfer starters over the summer, not the one with the 17-year head coach and four guys who have been here for five or six years.
No question in my mind, Mason would beat us again in the A-10 tourney. Mark this game down for a preview of what our A-10 ending tournament game will look like. We will play really good for 38 minutes, but the other team will hang right with us. End of game they will rip our hearts out because they will execute and we won't.

But it was refs fault?
Right, yeah, if that is your take away from this game, Wow. Yeah, the refs sucked, we benefitted from all of that suckiness as well, but some conveniently forget that. This team has shown us a pattern of how they operate in close games, that is the take away. Again.

Reactions: 8legs1dream
If you need a bucket to win or tie, I clear out for Golden and let him work. First choice, second choice, & third choice. Fourth choice, Golden & Gilyard 2-man game. We haven't seen much (if any) of this, but Golden would give you the best chance of achieving the goal.

Reactions: GKiller and whampas
If you need a bucket to win or tie, I go to Golden and let him work. First choice, second choice, & third choice. We haven't seen much (if any) of this, but Golden would give you the best chance of achieving the goal.
I think the announcers even showed that ... in one of the 900 stats they put on the screen.

Unfortunately refs in college and NBA almost never call walks, they can't seem to see the upper body/arms (looking for contact/fouls) and the steps at the same time. Yes no call sucked, but we did not get the slow mo replay of Cayo's feet either.
agreed the Cayo basket shouldn't have counted, but that was in overtime after the game should have ended.

minor walks might not get called, but this one was absurd.

Reactions: Eight Legger
I think the announcers even showed that ... in one of the 900 stats they put on the screen.

This was a promoted 'Beyond the Box Score' game by CBS Sports Network. It was the first one. I guess, understandably, that many people r not aware but fyi all the stats was very much on purpose.

Interesting, the game broadcast microphones caught some GMU folks really yelling at Burton - did not hear anything profane, but guys screaming Quit Complaining Burton, etc, etc.
yes, the guy complaining all game was all over Burton to stop complaining.

Interesting, the game broadcast microphones caught some GMU folks really yelling at Burton - did not hear anything profane, but guys screaming Quit Complaining Burton, etc, etc.

white ball white ball white ball

On TV, all you could hear was one fan (with the most annoying voice on the planet), providing his commentary the entire game.
yeah - it's wasn't a large crowd .. and they weren't particuarly into the game .. but just found may parts of the evening annoying and I think would have generally felt the same even if we won ..

If you need a bucket to win or tie, I clear out for Golden and let him work. First choice, second choice, & third choice. Fourth choice, Golden & Gilyard 2-man game. We haven't seen much (if any) of this, but Golden would give you the best chance of achieving the goal.
Wait, you mean to tell me, we should be going to the player with 2000 plus points in his career, who collects most of his points via high percentage shots close to the rim at the end of games. Please tell me more about this radical plan you propose.

Expound on that, what did you see or hear there last night to make you feel that way?
It started with a 70+ year old guy verbally accosting my friend and I who had our masks down while having a sip of a puchased beverage ... but probably not worth going down that path too much ... time to focus on LaSalle.

It started with a 70+ year old guy verbally accosting my friend and I who had our masks down while having a sip of a puchased beverage ... but probably not worth going down that path too much ... time to focus on LaSalle.
VCU fan would have kicked his A

We're going to miss the hell out of Gilly. Scary to think about our guard play next year unless Jason Nelson is the answer. Also hoping DJI is well and plays
I am confident that Nelson is the next great small guard at Richmond. The problem is going to be that Mooney will spend at least 1/2 a season (maybe more) going with Wilson. Mooney will do this because he is Mooney. We have seen him coach for 17-years, and I am confident that I can predict his decision-making patterns.

That will ultimately hurt the team and slow Nelson's development. Lose, lose.

I'm willing to take bets if any disagree.
Honest question… why now do the majority on the board think Coach will play a Fr next season over other older guys? Maybe not a majority but several…Yes I know we won’t have as many options next season. I believe you are right Jason will be really good and in fact I give him the nod personally over Zay. With that being said…I think Gus returns & you could have a big lineup with not even starting Zay or Jason. Dji, Gus, and Tyler would be a big set of guards and wing. Maybe just maybe one of those irons that in the transfer fire pans out(all I can say at this time) and we could have a solid lineup. Or put Jason in that lineup above with 3 guards Tyler at 4 and player X at the 5. That gives you Grace and Waltz as solid backups. That’s a solid lineup plus Mo, and Marcus with solid minutes.

Reactions: Zeeter
Nelson is the truest of true point guards that we have, which is why I think he gets the opportunity next year. Plus now he’s had a year in the system on top of that. He has the ability to score, like both KAs and Gilyard, which I think makes him more multi-dimensional than Wilson.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT