ADVERTISEMENT

Bracketology update

I know you asked for answers not questions but...
Was their 14 v 14 in 2012? 13 v 13 in 2013?

Yes. They had a 14 vs 14 in 2012, a 13 vs 13 in 2013 and a 12 vs 12 in 2014, and all 11 vs 11 since. With the way the at-larges are set up, followed by the one bid conferences, we can now expect either 11s or the occasional 12s for the play in games. Probably nothing higher than that

Last edited:
Fascinating edits.

They can do it, right? There's no rule prohibiting it. The brackets aren't "set" as far as the First Four games, and where they feed into the big bracket.

I thought they released their Top 16 earlier this year, and it was met with a collective yawn.

Top 16 seems pretty yawn-worthy when the bubble is always the biggest question mark. Releasing those “bubble rankings” or even just the teams and posting last 4 in, last 4 byes, and first 4-8 out would seem immensely helpful. But the downside is then they would have to be held accountable for their decisions and not put a P6 team in at the last second over a mid major without any reasoning

Reactions: nathanw19
ESPN's Bubble Watch graph on Richmond strikes a much more optimistic tone:

Since they've been saying we still need to win the A10 tournament since Friday night's win (I told y'all to take screenshots), I wonder what has changed? We must have done something special over the weekend. Really good practices?

Or maybe they noticed they were part of a shrinking minority and would rather follow the herd.

They backtracked on that almost as fast as Lunardi did with Northern Iowa. ESPN, nothing else to say.

With multiple games a week and so many moving parts that's completely impractical. That's the appetite the Bracketololgists are exploiting.
The committee meets for 5 1/2 straight days starting tomorrow; any rankings they put out a few weeks ago would probably look foolish now.

Football's a different animal. They can meet once a week and put out a Top 25 and everyone focuses on the Top 4 (FBS). If they ever expand the playoffs to 16 I bet they'd shut that down. FCS has a 24-team playoff and only releases their Top 10.

Was BYU in the 13 or 14 seed?

If 14 it might have dropped down so they could play their 3rd game on Saturday, not Sunday.

I know they have shifted them one seed before...
Or was it region?...

was all for the fbs having a bigger field but now really think 4 is right. think fcs made a mistake becoming so big especially since they have very little money to work with during the playoffs. no matter how many teams you put in, there will always be gripes and arguments over what teams did not make it or which ones did.

Does the team in the most brackets win the bid? I don't understand the relevance of the number of brackets.

Selection committee decides which teams get bids. The brackets are predictions of which teams will receive bids. As the number of brackets predicting a team is in increases the odds are greater that the team will be selected.

Even ESPN "admits" Richmond "may be in" without winning the A-10 tournament but can't resist a "dig" concerning our Wisconsin win.

Richmond Spiders

Richmond finds itself in the suspenseful position of being shown in the NCAA tournament by some mock brackets and out of the field by others. In other words, it's close, and the Spiders' bracket in the Atlantic 10 tournament could allow them to gain just enough ground to make the cut. A potential quarterfinal against Davidson, for example, would be a high Quad 2 opportunity, as would a possible semifinal against Rhode Island. Wins there could be enough for a team with a top-40 NET ranking and a 24-7 record highlighted by the 10-point neutral-floor win over Wisconsin (though Badgers fans hasten to point out that the contest was played before Micah Potter became eligible).

Even ESPN "admits" Richmond "may be in" without winning the A-10 tournament but can't resist a "dig" concerning our Wisconsin win.

Richmond Spiders

Richmond finds itself in the suspenseful position of being shown in the NCAA tournament by some mock brackets and out of the field by others. In other words, it's close, and the Spiders' bracket in the Atlantic 10 tournament could allow them to gain just enough ground to make the cut. A potential quarterfinal against Davidson, for example, would be a high Quad 2 opportunity, as would a possible semifinal against Rhode Island. Wins there could be enough for a team with a top-40 NET ranking and a 24-7 record highlighted by the 10-point neutral-floor win over Wisconsin (though Badgers fans hasten to point out that the contest was played before Micah Potter became eligible).
See post 781 -and replies - in this thread ;)

Richmond Spiders

It just makes no sense to add that little nugget at the end. How many games were played this year where someone was either helped because the other team missed a player, or hurt because they missed a player? A lot! Did they add these little injury nuggets on other team's write ups? Of course not. Just no need for it. Ridiculous.

Typical. They fail to mention that we didn't have our leading scorer for part or all of half our A-10 losses...
It does come off as a bit of a cheap-shot, as fatherspider and gospidersgo previously mentioned.

We discussed this back when we played Wisconsin. We were fortunate to miss Potter, and Wisconsin sputtered through the first half of the season. Some of us were speculating that we could really benefit in the metrics if Wisconsin figured things out in 2020, since the computers wouldn't adjust for player eligibility. And that's exactly what happened!

As for Kobe King, I've heard several Wisconsin fans mention that was addition by subtraction. They have been playing better since he left.

Back to ESPN - this is more evidence that they are in the pockets of the P6. The dig was completely unnecessary, and Badger fans don't care - they're a lock, and us making the tourney makes them look better. You know who does care? Big Ten bubble teams. Potter probably would come up when the committee discusses Richmond; ESPN is trying to ensure it.

Last edited:
Reactions: plydogg
We had some tourney brackets work out perfectly for us. If Stanford beats Cal tomorrow, they will play UCLA, so at least one of those bubble teams will lose early and not make their conference semis. Also, Texas and Texas Tech meet right away in the Big 12. How perfect is that? One of those bubble teams will lose right away and not make their semis either.

You never know, but it certainly seems like just a win on Friday should have us comfortably ahead of the 2 losers of these games. With the bubble shrinking, we are only competing with a few teams for a bid, so just being ahead of the 2 losers above could be all we need.

With all the mind boggling scenarios going on with who gets the at-larges, we could start a who gets in pool.:)

Just went into Team Rankings and UR 30% bid probability while Okla St 73%. Everyone has a say.

Does the team in the most brackets win the bid? I don't understand the relevance of the number of brackets.
I will take what Spider Fan said one step further.

If 92 of 124 people who are trying to predict who the Committee will select think you will be selected, then more sports writers are likely to write about you.
The more sports writers write about you the more the Committee notices you.
The more the Committee notices you the more likely they are to select you.

Could be a self fulfilling prophecy.

As the Whos said to Horton, "We are here!, We are here!, We are here!"

Last edited:
We had some tourney brackets work out perfectly for us. If Stanford beats Cal tomorrow, they will play UCLA, so at least one of those bubble teams will lose early and not make their conference semis. Also, Texas and Texas Tech meet right away in the Big 12. How perfect is that? One of those bubble teams will lose right away and not make their semis either.

You never know, but it certainly seems like just a win on Friday should have us comfortably ahead of the 2 losers of these games. With the bubble shrinking, we are only competing with a few teams for a bid, so just being ahead of the 2 losers above could be all we need.

I always worry, so it could be a double edged sword. What if Texas winning is enough to pass us but Texas Tech losing is not enough for us to pass them?
Just keep winning!

In the Big Ten, Indiana plays Nebraska, who is terrible, but has given them trouble. If they win that one, we can hope PSU beats them. Bubble Rutgers has Michigan, and if they get hot bubble Purdue has OSU. It would be great if all 3 teams did not even make their conference quarters.

In the ACC, for some reason, we might still have to worry about NC St., so if they win their 1st game against Wake or Pitt, they run into Duke, hopefully meaning no semis for them either.

I always worry, so it could be a double edged sword. What if Texas winning is enough to pass us but Texas Tech losing is not enough for us to pass them?
Just keep winning!

I hear you, but I think this is better than having them all playing other teams and hoping they all lose. At least now, we know 2 will lose. I think if we were in a worse spot and needed a lot of bubble teams to lose to pass them, than maybe we would want them all playing someone else, but where we are now, I love how these brackets worked out. But, I agree with the keep winning part. No doubt!

I will take what Spider Fan said one step further.

If 92 of 124 people who are trying to predict who the Committee will select think you will be selected, then more sports writers are likely to write about you.

Could be a self fulfilling prophecy.

As the Whos said to Horton, "We are here!, We are here!, We are here!"

That's good -
in fact good enough to remind me and to "bore you" with my college studying philosophy -
the more you study the more you know -
the more you know the more you can forget-
the more you forget, the less you know -
so why study?

Just keep winning!
Yes, it's a double-edged sword in the Pac-12, too. Almost all of the "locks" are on one side of the bracket.
It is great that UCLA and Stanford play early; obviously our ideal is for Cal to take them both out (unlikely). While one of them is sure to lose in the QF or earlier, the other is very likely to find themselves in the semis. The Pac-12 is weird. Their locks are the 1, 5 and 6. Their weakest bubble team is the 2 seed. Arizona State and USC appear to be safe, but are still on some bubble lists.

In the meantime, Go Bears. But if you win, make sure you win twice!

That's good -
in fact good enough to remind me and to "bore you" with my college studying philosophy -
the more you study the more you know -
the more you know the more you can forget-
the more you forget, the less you know -
so why study?

Makes sense. The more I studied, the worse I seemed to do. Probably because the more I studied, the more stressed and nervous I got, making me.....wait for it, forget stuff. o_O I finally realized either you know it or you don't and started having more fun. And, somehow, as a result, that worked out better and they gave me a diploma.

Sorry about that. Got sidetracked. Back to bracketology. Speaking of studying, the more I study these teams, the more I think we should be a lock right now. But, the key word being should. Like so many have said, just keep winning.

Last edited:
Reactions: spider fan
Yes, it's a double-edged sword in the Pac-12, too. Almost all of the "locks" are on one side of the bracket.
It is great that UCLA and Stanford play early; obviously our ideal is for Cal to take them both out (unlikely). While one of them is sure to lose in the QF or earlier, the other is very likely to find themselves in the semis. The Pac-12 is weird. Their locks are the 1, 5 and 6. Their weakest bubble team is the 2 seed. Arizona State and USC appear to be safe, but are still on some bubble lists.

In the meantime, Go Bears. But if you win, make sure you win twice!
Twice, or Thrice but no more!

Reactions: ChoppinBroccoli
Twice, or Thrice but no more!

Also, I think it's good they play each other because if two bubble teams are playing, it does give the committee a chance to maybe look at it as an elimination type game. Maybe. But, only if others keep winning. So, let's keep winning.

Could be a self fulfilling prophecy

Yes and possibly Mooney going with tougher OOCs over the years would have the Spiders closer to lock presently.

Wonder if he attends the Final Four festivities hop nobbing? Maybe UR should ask CBS to be one of the schools that goes live on finding out Sunday night In or out?

Maybe the smartest people in the world are actually the smart ones here.
There are less than 15 cases in the whole state of Massachusetts. Give me a break. And are they also going to cancel all classes and close all of the student dining halls too. Give the students back their money and send them home? The best course of action in a crisis is to panic as much as possible and create as much hysteria as you can. “Everyone remain calm,, no i mean everyone get hysterical and panic.”

There are less than 15 cases in the whole state of Massachusetts. Give me a break. And are they also going to cancel all classes and close all of the student dining halls too. Give the students back their money and send them home? The best course of action in a crisis is to panic as much as possible and create as much hysteria as you can. “Everyone remain calm,, no i mean everyone get hysterical and panic.”

The irony in this is that the only one in hysterics right now is you lol

The irony in this is that the only one in hysterics right now is you lol
Really?? I guess you havent seen the stock market crashing or the travel industry collapsing. Good try smart ass.

And lets see how long it tkes for the NCAA to follow suite.

https://www.northjersey.com/story/n...niversity-mandates-remote-classes/4999432002/

https://www.nydailynews.com/new-yor...0200309-5rxsghditvd4rcwpzniiiutz2q-story.html

No word from Wyoming...

Reactions: plydogg
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT