ADVERTISEMENT

Woodson expected to be named new baseball coach

Mo, I agree. If Coach Woodson is the choice, then it shows a real commitment to baseball! Great news.

would suggest that all SPIDS not accept any packages with UNABOMBER 7 on the return address!!!

This post was edited on 7/17 1:46 PM by WebSpinner

Good news. I have to believe Woodson would not have accepted the job if a strong commitment was not made by UR. Also I hope facility improvements are on the horizon.

I love the fact that he has a lot of "pro" background. That is a serious plus in the recruiting circles. Having played and managed at the levels he reached can really impress a candidate that hopes to move on in baseball.

Ha ha that is funny Web Spinner. You must be comedian after your day shift working the counter at McDonalds. I would suggest you go back and reread my post about Gkiller, and taking things seriously. The dig wasn't on his name as much as the fact that everyone's name is a pseudonym (you know, a fake name). The point was that nothing on this blog or any blog, Facebook, Twitter, ... should be taken seriously (that includes you and me). Its a blog. I would think somebody that has almost 15,000 posts would of figured that out by now. Maybe-you are just not capable of that. Its ok Web Spinner. Just stay focused on the basic and essential bodily functions in life. Its appears to be hard enough for you. When you get 15000 posts, that will be highest stature you are ever gonna achieve anyways even in the virtual world. Now go back to taking my order, and practicing your bad one liners.

In the meantime when Woodson, and UR still sucks in three years, I will keep reminding you how much money they wasted bringing him in. Remember, he won't stop officiating just for the opportunity to move home. He will make that up by getting a bigger dollars. I'm interested to see his final contract numbers. Remember he has a losing record where he came from and he has been there a long enough that it shouldn't be that bad. Also, the fact that the Horizon League has 5 teams and his record is 187-210 is disturbing. Any way you want to frame it, losing is what it is. Sorry, I agree with many others on here who say there are others in D2, NAIA that are better coaches. His pro success should carry little (if any) weight in college. Its a completely different world.

Originally posted by Unabomber7:
The point was that nothing on this blog or any blog, Facebook, Twitter, ... should be taken seriously (that includes you and me). Its a blog. I would think somebody that has almost 15,000 posts would of figured that out by now.
Except for the fact that this actually isn't a blog. You'd think somebody who has almost 5 posts would realize that he's, in fact, posting on a message board. If you're going to be condescending, at least be correct.

I remain extremely concerned about the choice for a number of reasons, mostly believing this hire will not move the program forward, BBT the decision has been made, so we shall see, and I wish him well.

Una, as i sit here in my motorized chair in depends, drooling, just wanted to let you know, there is no space between Web and Spinner. thank you for your 5 or so posts on the blog and will see you again next time we make a hire.

"I remain extremely concerned about the choice for a number of reasons, mostly believing this hire will not move the program forward, BBT the decision has been made, so we shall see, and I wish him well."

A coach is not a magician. He can succeed in spite of the institution he works for, because of it, or in complement with it. A reasonable person cannot expect Woodson to succeed any more than McQueen did if things remain status quo; in fact, without continual funding improvements, expect things to stay the same or get worse. Why? Because the competition for players is getting stiffer. Other programs are putting $$ into facilities and coaching. And fully-funding schollies to the 11.7 limit. Like it or not, UR will need to help Coach Woodson and make baseball competitive with the surrounding options.

My biggest hope about the new hire is that he gets the tools necessary to succeed, that he told UR the same thing that I have said on this board ad nauseum. We know the man can coach baseball. Can he recruit to UR's strengths and, yes, weaknesses (*cough*facilities*cough*) is the real question.

I like the hire for two reasons, both of which are admittedly pretty superficial. One, he's from here and probably still has (or will soon redevelop) some strong connections with Central Virginia talent, which is pretty impressive overall. Two, he has pro experience as a player and may help us reconnect our program as one that has and will again send some folks to the majors. It's no minor accomplishment to have Sean Casey and Brian Jordan as baseball alums, and another MLB connection can't hurt.

Tarant-I hear you, but I don't totally agree.
I think this is a first step to an upgrade. Our facilities aren't Miami's or Arizona's, but they're ahead of a lot of schools at our level. And recent history shows that we will do what is necessary to improve our facilities.
It wasn't that long ago we were playing football in City Stadium, and the renovation of Robins Center is well underway.
Milhiser is lined up to become a basketball practice facility and I don't doubt that baseball will start getting more support.

Valpo fan/baseball alum here. Just thought I would agree with a few of you that Woodson is a great hire for your program, and a great loss for ours. His overall record at Valpo is misleading. Even though he has a losing record of 187-210, that is AT Valpo, a school where baseball was very much an afterthought for our athletics program, and in the non-baseball part of the US in the Midwest (typically, no Midwest team is relevant nationally in baseball). I graduated 10 years ago, and hate to say it, but we were in a terrible situation before Woodson, often finishing in the bottom third of the RPI ratings each season. I believe that my redshirt year, we actually finished DEAD LAST in RPI. He has moved us to the middle and above, with 2 straight NCAA bids, including a win over Florida this tourney (plus two 1 run losses to Indiana and Austin Peay).

Yes, this last season the HL had 5 teams, and it doesn't help that it was 6-7 for every season before that (will be 6 next year with Oakland joining), but if he can bring in the type of recruits we have gotten in the last few years at Valpo, he can do even better in a more baseball-oriented state of VA, closer to Southern states that actually produce top baseball talent. Just think about it, he has beaten top 25 teams in the last few years, playing in NW Indiana, in a terrible stadium, with similar baseball funding issues that you are speaking about. It sounds like he has done well in the same situation you guys have been in, but with better recruiting potential.

I see some of you have complained about your stadium, but I can guarantee that ours is much worse. In the last 25 years as a baseball program, Valpo has 5 winning records, 3 of which are in Woodson's 7 years. I have to think that he will be successful in your program as well, given the proximity to much more talent.

I don't think you guys realize how much of a handicap playing college baseball in NW Indiana is towards recruiting. We get maybe 16-18 home games each year as well, with 40-42 road/neutral site games because of the weather. I only came up from DFW to play at Valpo because I wasn't good enough after arm surgery to play D-1 ball in the South lol. I expect to see your program making the NCAA tourney every other year or so with Woodson in charge.

thanks for your input Valpo. I agree that he is a great hire for us. I believe the complaints about our facilities are blown out of proportion to a large degree. Our stadium and field are fine, nice even. We don't have lights which is not a big deal. We don't have a state of the art practice facility but compared to other small D1 non-BCS programs I think we compare very favorably. This is a good job and he can win here. Statements to the contrary sound a lot like excuses to me.

Thanks Valpo for the information on Coach Woodson. It is good to get your perspective on him. I think we have gotten ourselves a good coach who will move our baseball program in the right direction.

Re:We don't have lights which is not a big deal- We don't have a state of the art practice facility but compared to other small D1 non-BCS programs I think we compare very favorably.

Pike, I couldn't disagree more. I would say that we are in the minority without lights (by a large margin) and the practice facility is a 1 on a 1-10 scale.

The lights are probably more trouble than they are worth - the neighbors would complain and it's pretty cold at night during the season. I, personally, don't view it as a big deal. The practice facilities are what they are. We have cages to hit in, the pitchers can work out with the catchers, and we can take grounders. I watch a ton of baseball practices (not UR), and absent an indoor bubble or something with a full sized field and a super high ceiling we can do what we need. It's not perfect, but we can do what we need to do. We have the same facilities or better than we had when Ronnie was cranking out good teams and we're still putting guys into the professional ranks. We need a good coach who can put it all together. This facility thing just sounds like a lot of whining to me.

predict that unabomber 7 will be on here shortly stating that ValpoTx is really our athletic director trying to make our facilities and Tracy sound like gold instead of lead. wait for it.........wait for it.........

For those that believe we don't have a significant facilities problem- I mean game field and indoor hitting facility. I challenge you to find another baseball program in the state of VA that has it worse than us. UVA, Tech, JMU, ODU, VMI, W&M, Longwood, Liberty all have had facility overhalls in the last 10 years and all have much better game sites than we do. They have all gone to a stadium look. Our indoor facility is in a dank depressing cellar dwelling location under Milheiser. Maybe we have it better than Quinnipiac or Albany-teams up north but we are not on par with other schools in our state. Check out the websites.

Here's to Woodson saying the only way I am coming here is if you do ........

Been holding my tongue onthis whole process. Spot on, Charles!!!...though I wouldn't hold my breath.

Its 2013, not 1991...though if you took a look at our present day "indoor facility" you might think Sean Casey was still in the lineup. The old timers who do not understand modern day recruiting will disagree, but it's pretty pathetic considering I grew up in a city similar to Richmonds size where there were at least 10 high schools with true indoor hitting facilities...and this was 2005! Quite the shocker when your HS baseball program has nicer facilities than your college program.

This is not a cute little baseball program fellas, yet it appears the powers at be are content with us being at the same level as the A-10 programs. Aw thats ok...some non-athletes will say...how quickly they forget how great this program was back in the early 2000s. New head coach was interviewed by academic admissions counselors? I'm sorry, that is pathetic and a such non-competitive, nerdy academic attitude towards athletics. Might as well put the Wicked Witch who was the Provost in the Cooper era back at the helm.

If you guys think 17, 18 year olds and their parents do not care about the facilities, you are terribly mistaken. At this point, my question is frankly, do the higher ups at UR even give a shit about being the best at every sport? Shame on me for entertaining that thought, I guess, as it seems only a fool would believe such an absurd goal when it comes to our cute little athletic program. Remind me again, are we d-1 or d-2?

As an 18 year old I would have joined a stick ball team that used a dirt lot with a brick wall, since I loved baseball so much. But having heard my son talk about how much facilities mean when recruiting a player, it is the first impression and is definitely a huge advantage when there is limitations with schollie money. I would hope the new coach looked at situation and there may have been facility improvement committment as part of the negotiations.

Probably waiting for approval from our director of admissions and Ayers Chief of Staff. They are probably concerned that he is a NC State grad and not a Yale or Williams grad.
roll.r191677.gif

Let's see, but the other announced candidates were also good. Maybe he was never offered the job?

I may be wrong on the facility issue - help me understand. I honestly don't know. What type of baseball facility does VCU have that we don't? I know they have to share a field that is universally regarded as a dump. How about ODU? JMU? I don't know. I do know that our football team won a National Championship practicing on intramural fields and driving off campus to a complete armpit of a stadium. Somehow, those players were able to persevere through that unimaginable hardship to come together as a team and win. Maybe a good coach and good players is pretty important. We have plenty of good players - maybe things will come together with some new leadership.

If you are pleased with the recent results of the baseball team, then there isn't an issue with the facilities. However, if you want to win the A10 and go onto success in the NCAAs like was done in 2002 and 2003, then investments will have to be made. A lot has changed since 2003 and there are more programs vying for talent, many with better facilities. Let's take them one at a time, shall we?

Indoor hitting and pitching facility. I can tell you that many of the local competition have these facilities. It is important to have these facilities so as to keep sharp in the offseason and to keep pitchers' arms from injury in the cold. This facility should be pretty basic for all teams north of Florida.

Running water at Pitt Field. Seems kind of basic, doesn't it? I imagine most of our competition for talent has running water in their stadium and in the dugouts.

Stadium-type seating. UVa, VaTech, George Washington, Elon, Wofford, Furman, George Mason, Tulane, ODU, High Point, Gardner-Webb, Dayton, UNC Charlotte, Jacksonville, Duke, JMU, W&M all have stadium seating with bathrooms, nice concessions and will host a tournament. Need more?

Lights. See above. Lights are required for night practices, mostly, and to be able to host a regional, provided someone can think big.

Field. No problems.

Spirit wear and gear. No problems.

If VCU baseball is your standard, then there are no issues. If you don't mind going 32-28 and losing in the A10 tournament every year, then there are no problems. If you keep losing talent to programs like W&M and watch them go the NCAA regionals, then no problems. If you like just showing up to the field, plopping down in your folding chair in the RF and watching your quaint little program, then there are no problems. If you don't mind losing top talent to peer institutions, then no problems.

I maintain it is tougher to win in D1 baseball than in FCS football, though that is not to diminish the 2008 accomplishment. I'm not saying that UR cannot win without facilities, but to build a program to be proud of, you need to make investments. Most other institutions feel this way and many have made them. So are they all wrong and UR is right not to?

we can keep going round and round with this, which I'm not going to do. I assume we still have some cages we can drop in the winter and work on hitting. I also assume we have a spare 60 feet 6 inches where pitchers can throw. My son does it all winter inside so I know these things exist. I agree that running water seems like it should be a given and you make a good point about practicing under the lights. However, we have never had lights and have often been good so we may be able to overcome that. The other things, honestly, seem like wants rather than things that are necessary for a good baseball team. If a kid doesn't want to come play at UR because we don't have stadium seating then it doesn't sound like a good fit for him and I suggest he play somewhere else. Maybe if we had cotton candy and dipping dots in the concession stand we could get some more kids too. I do not disagree with you that we can improve some of the facilities but I do disagree that our facilities are the reason we haven't been successful lately. I won't even touch the baseball vs football comparison.

"The other things, honestly, seem like wants rather than things that are necessary for a good baseball team. If a kid doesn't want to come play at UR because we don't have stadium seating then it doesn't sound like a good fit for him and I suggest he play somewhere else."

That is what is happening.

I'm sorry you don't like all of my examples.

Congrats on the official announcement. Just to clarify something posted on here, Coach Woodson did not graduate from NC State, as he left before finishing his degree. He actually obtained his Bachelor's degree from Valpo a few years ago.

sounds like we're not doing a good job of recruiting then. If a kid chooses to graduate from High Point instead of Richmond because they have stadium seating and lights so they can practice outside in February then I wish him the best. The entire package that UR offers and represents is a pretty compelling package, assuming its being presented properly. There is always room for improvement but sometimes reality gets in the way.

What's your retort against W&M? Or Elon? Or Furman? You are being foolish to think that UR is such a great place that it supercedes anything else. Why did UR build Robins Stadium, then? Presumably to build a better program.

Like I said, if you don't think there is an issue with today's results, then no problems exist. I truly hope Woodson can bring UR to the promised land, but I guarantee if you asked him, he'd want to be dealt a better hand and it would help to be a consistent winner. Not to mention recruiting against W&M, for example, who has every bit of good academics, a nice campus and better facilities to boot.

The kids are voting with their feet. Are they wrong or are you?

oh, I'm sure I'm wrong to some degree. I just think realistically speaking we've got what we've got and I don't see a million $$ getting dumped into a non-revenue producing men's sport. It's just the reality of college baseball for 95% of the programs out there. You can't even find scores during the College World Series on ESPN.com without searching for 5 minutes. And I LOVE baseball - my 12 year old has his 56th game of the year tonight. I'd like nothing more than for him to work hard enough to get the opportunity to play in college. Maybe if that happens I'll agree with you more. I just don't see us putting a ton of money into the program unless it gets donated - it's just not a priority sport. I wish it was!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT