ADVERTISEMENT

Women’s Basketball

We played poorly all around. A number of bad turnovers (Hawks had their fair share too), bad shot selection, didn't move the ball well, inability to finish at the basket, etc. Their two bigs got pretty much whatever they wanted, and they beat us up on the boards.

This is kind of like "Who is on first" routine. Undoubtedly even slower than usual tonight (have Covid, mild symptoms, all good), but these comments seem out of phase. When are we supposed to win, Now? or Later?

But of course, preferably always.

I think it was simply time for an off night. Missed layups while in first half the Hawks
were making some off balance crazy shots.

Ugh, tough loss in OT to a very good UMass squad. UMass hit a tough shot at the buzzer to win it.

Time to be honest..... I've never watched a Richmond women's game. May as well start as I'm not getting any satisfaction from the men's team. What are some storylines this year up to this point?

It's fun to watch them really start to get Roussell's system now that he's in his third year and has a good mix of his own recruits and vets.

- Grace Townsend is a real sparkplug at 5'5". She turns it over some, but she's super quick with the ball and isn't afraid to take it into the teeth of the defense and draw fouls.

- Budnik is a good one...A-10 ROY last year and leading the team in scoring this year. 6'2" and averaging three blocks a game, but can also step out and hit the three.

- Klimkiewicz is the seasoned vet in the starting lineup even though she spent a year at BC before coming to UR. She's no Gilyard, but she gets a lot of steals even though she's not the fastest player on the court...just great anticipation to be able to step into passing lanes.

- Squires is providing great scoring punch off the bench...another big who can shoot it from outside too.

- Overall, they're not the most athletic group out there and they turn it over more than they should, but they play a good pace and can score in bunches from everywhere.

Oof…Spiders down 21–1 (not a typo) after one to A-10 favorite Dayton.

VCU's clown show AD on AM910 right now, talking about our women's game against them tomorrow.

"We have a game at Henrico, over at that campus tomorrow."

Ok, Everett Withers. What a tool.

After trailing most of the game, women win at VCU on their senior day.

And if you think officiating is bad in the men's game, you would go nuts over some of the calls in the women's game.

Reactions: urfan1
Strong finish to the regular season, taking down VCU and Fordham and giving a very good URI squad a scare. Too bad they couldn't manage to get back up to .500 in A-10 play though.

Looks like the Spiders will be the #8 seed playing the #9 seed on Thursday morning, but who that is won't be settled under the UMass-SLU game tonight is finished.

Disappointing season overall but at least they can beat vcu, unlike the men. Roussell needs to be in the top 4 next year.

Spiders led by 7 a couple of times in the first half, but Davidson battled back to tie at the half and eventually open up a 9-point lead. Spiders had some chances to close it up down the stretch, but couldn't make it happen. Davidson wins, 66–62. Budnik with 19, Townsend with 16, 8, and 8.

• Sad
Reactions: plydogg
Spiders led by 7 a couple of times in the first half, but Davidson battled back to tie at the half and eventually open up a 9-point lead. Spiders had some chances to close it up down the stretch, but couldn't make it happen. Davidson wins, 66–62. Budnik with 19, Townsend with 16, 8, and 8.
Hardt's athletic program is humming nicely along now.

People wanted the previous coach gone. He is. I think the current coaching staff has made steady progress. I talked to a player who played for him at Bucknell and she said he was wonderful to play for.

I still think he can do it and he needs time to get his players and system in place, but it's been a bit frustrating that we haven't seen the progress showing up in their record three years in. Same 7–9 A-10 record as his first year and down from 9–6 last year.

NET has gone more or less sideways from 125 his first year to 137 last year to 122 this year.

I still think he can do it and he needs time to get his players and system in place, but it's been a bit frustrating that we haven't seen the progress showing up in their record three years in. Same 7–9 A-10 record as his first year and down from 9–6 last year.

NET has gone more or less sideways from 125 his first year to 137 last year to 122 this year.
Well, luckily for him, he's got another solid 14 years to rebuild the program.

I follow women's hoops casually, but it is disappointing. Next year is a pretty big year for Roussell. I do like him & he seems to be bringing in more talent and wasn't left with much from Shafer. But Shafer also had plenty of the kind of years Roussell is having here too. Hardt wanted someone he knew over a Stephanie Gaitley, and that's fine, he'll just need a lot more help with the men's search.

Reactions: Eight Legger
Hardt wanted someone he knew over a Stephanie Gaitley, and that's fine, he'll just need a lot more help with the men's search.
Right, these search comittees are the biggest joke, a bunch of recycles and here is the bill for $250,000.00. I am pulling for Roussell, but i think jabba could have hired him with no search comittee.

That does scare me, say we do finally pull the plug on moon, and we are going to trust Hardt with PQ and some idiot search comittee. YIKES. And no, I don't want to keep moon.

In all seriousness, I would feel more comfortable with myself and 10 other guys from this board forming a comittee. I mean I wouldn't come up with a guy like McCall, who went to ncaa in year one, then went down hill in his second year, and had two HC years of experience total. Or Mooney, who took a ready built AF NCAA team and lost more games than the previous year. You do no need to give him credit for his ability to make money coaching.

Reactions: Eight Legger
JFC, no search firm for a mid-major WBB coach charges anywhere near $250K. Maybe 1/10 of that.

Right, these search comittees are the biggest joke, a bunch of recycles and here is the bill for $250,000.00. I am pulling for Roussell, but i think jabba could have hired him with no search comittee.

That does scare me, say we do finally pull the plug on moon, and we are going to trust Hardt with PQ and some idiot search comittee. YIKES. And no, I don't want to keep moon.

In all seriousness, I would feel more comfortable with myself and 10 other guys from this board forming a comittee. I mean I wouldn't come up with a guy like McCall, who went to ncaa in year one, then went down hill in his second year, and had two HC years of experience total. Or Mooney, who took a ready built AF NCAA team and lost more games than the previous year. You do no need to give him credit for his ability to make money coaching.
Let's put together our list of candidates and send it to Hardt for free. Seriously.

Reactions: SpiderK
JFC, no search firm for a mid-major WBB coach charges anywhere near $250K. Maybe 1/10 of that.

no but actually it’s more than u state too. No knowledge of Richmond’s fee but those things r not cheap. Could see 50k easy.

Elaina Chapman didn’t play at all this year, and she was a big part of their team from last year. They graduate 6 seniors (all Shafer recruits) so it’s his baby now. I think they found some good players.

Klimkiewicz was a Roussell transfer from BC.

Squires really came on this year...won A-10 6th Woman of the Year although she was inserted into the starting lineup toward the end.

Holt lost her starting job to newer players but still gave some good minutes. Carpenter also got moved down the pecking order, while Neff was never a major factor and Mraz struggled a lot with injuries I believe.

Klimkiewicz was a Roussell transfer from BC.

Squires really came on this year...won A-10 6th Woman of the Year although she was inserted into the starting lineup toward the end.

Holt lost her starting job to newer players but still gave some good minutes. Carpenter also got moved down the pecking order, while Neff was never a major factor and Mraz struggled a lot with injuries I believe.
Was Chapman injured like ACL ?

Just noticed that Roussell lost an assistant earlier this month. Darren Guensch reunited with former VCU coach Beth Cunningham after she was named head coach at Missouri State. He’s got an associate head coach title there.

Just noticed that Roussell lost an assistant earlier this month. Darren Guensch reunited with former VCU coach Beth Cunningham after she was named head coach at Missouri State. He’s got an associate head coach title there.

Don’t feel bad, they could have lost the whole staff and all the players to the portal and I would not have noticed.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT