ADVERTISEMENT

Wisconsin game

What I liked is the fact they they showed they can also win a tight (from start to finish) low scoring game. They also showed a lot of confidence and didn't panic when losing the lead.

From a Mooney detractor: WELL COACHED GAME
To this point, really good defensive game and really well run set plays when we needed one. Good substitutions throughout the game. And y'all know I hate to admit that but I put this win more on Mooney considering two of our best players (Gilly and Sherod) didn't bring their A game.

Really good win tonight! We mostly stayed in control, played good defense, rebounded and hit big shots when necessary. I didn’t think Gilyard played badly, other guys just were scoring and he wasn’t needed until the end, when he delivered. Tomorrow could be fun too.

Awesome win. Agree with Mo, I thought we were the better team all game. Offensively, they did a nice job on Jake and Nick, but it’s hard to guard 5 guys that can score. Blake and GG were great, and Cayo played a nice game. I think the bench really helped us with some big plays and allowed us to be fresh down the stretch. Sal and Burton are very active down low. Really good to see. It’s been a while since we won a game like this. Really happy for the players. I think we can get some open looks against Auburn (assuming they beat New Mexico) tomorrow. Really like the matchup for us and it would be nice to beat former RPI ram Samir doughty.

[
Wisconsin on a neutral court is the best win in the A10 so far this season. If our defense can consistently perform as they did tonight we will be a very dangerous team.
St Joe’s over UConn away wasn’t bad.

And Dayton over Georgia looked good only because it was dominating. Wiscy better than UGA.

This team played calm and relaxed and no panic. Only thing we lost was rebounds by 6.
Why was our defense better? We played strong help defense for the first time this year.
We did miss some close in shots.

[
St Joe’s over UConn away wasn’t bad.

And Dayton over Georgia looked good only because it was dominating. Wiscy better than UGA.

Dayton is the best team in the A10 this year, and Obi is POY. He will be drafted, he is insane. St. Joe's is horrible.

Really good win tonight! We mostly stayed in control, played good defense, rebounded and hit big shots when necessary. I didn’t think Gilyard played badly, other guys just were scoring and he wasn’t needed until the end, when he delivered. Tomorrow could be fun too.

Agree 100%. Jacob was fine to let Blake go off like he did in the 1st half. No need to force anything there, and like you said, other guys (Grant and Nate) were getting it done as well throughout the game. I thought he did fine tonight.

Reactions: Spider93
Dayton is the best team in the A10 this year, and Obi is POY. He will be drafted, he is insane. St. Joe's is horrible.
I agree but I wasn’t talking about the teams, I was talking about the best (most difficult) A-10 wins.

What is the proper order of LSU at home, UConn away, Wisconsin neutral, Georgia neutral.

Any other wins close?

Reactions: Vcewe
Agree 100%. Jacob was fine to let Blake go off like he did in the 1st half. No need to force anything there, and like you said, other guys (Grant and Nate) were getting it done as well throughout the game. I thought he did fine tonight.
I think Gilyard is the straw that stirs our drink, but last night he was less decisive than usual. There were times when he could’ve looked for his shot more and defensively he wasn’t up to his usual absurd level of helping in driving lanes looking for steals (though admittedly, maybe that was scheme based, as our defense was overall better).

I expect a huge bounce back tonight against Auburn, which will most likely play to his strengths being a more open, up and down affair instead of a tight half court game.

I agree but I wasn’t talking about the teams, I was talking about the best (most difficult) A-10 wins.

What is the proper order of LSU at home, UConn away, Wisconsin neutral, Georgia neutral.

Any other wins close?
Regardless of where it ranks this year it was still a solid win for the Spiders and a boost for the A-10. A long time since VCU was 6-0 and UR 5-0. Good to see!

I think Gilyard is the straw that stirs our drink, but last night he was less decisive than usual. There were times when he could’ve looked for his shot more and defensively he wasn’t up to his usual absurd level of helping in driving lanes looking for steals (though admittedly, maybe that was scheme based, as our defense was overall better).

I expect a huge bounce back tonight against Auburn, which will most likely play to his strengths being a more open, up and down affair instead of a tight half court game.
Someone said it on another thread but our defense's ability to deny dribble drive penetration last night was superb and really quite unexpected based on our first 4 games. Perhaps this is why Gilly was a bit out of his element. You don't need to be going for steals and taking chances if you are just playing tough defense, which is what we did last night.

I'm not sure how much of last night was our specific match-up with Wisconsin, Wisconsin having an off night, and/or our improved defense. What I will say if we can play defense like that last night, we are going to be EXTREMELY difficult to beat, with what we bring on offense.

I need to see more than 1 night of defensive play to make that statement, so lets see if we can continue to build and work on defense.

Reactions: nathanw19
One more thought about last night. It was interesting to see Nathan outplay Aleem Ford who I seem to remember we recruited several years ago. Aleem is averaging double figures and I'm sure is a very good player but for at least last night Nathan (and Sal, Burton, etc.) kept him quiet.

Reactions: nathanw19
One more thought about last night. It was interesting to see Nathan outplay Aleem Ford who I seem to remember we recruited several years ago. Aleem is averaging double figures and I'm sure is a very good player but for at least last night Nathan (and Sal, Burton, etc.) kept him quiet.
Well done Go, I noticed him on the roster too. There were certain posters tweaking Mooney about his failure to land Aleem (maybe he got him and AJ mixed up?), but Cayo showed who is boss.

Yes, it came down between us and Wisconsin for Ford. Cayo certainly did outplay him last night though.

All four of those are probably Quad 1 wins, high Quad 2 at worst. Obviously we won't know until the rankings start rolling out. LSU is probably the best team of that bunch, but the Q1 window is pretty small for home games (LSU would need to be Top 30). The Spiders' and Flyers' wins yesterday were really, really impressive.

The first-ever NET rankings debuted a year ago today (but that was the Monday after Thanksgiving last year). So we'll have some team sheets soon. I think we'll be pleased. My WAG would be two Quad 1 games, 2 Q3, and 3 Q4. That is so much better than last year. Especially with a minimum of 5 wins!

Rebounding is going to be a HUGE factor this season. Much better rebounding overall and Tyler is a rebounding machine. He gets WAY above the rim. Check out the pic in the link to the WI paper.

I saw him on campus after the second game and told him what a great job he did and to keep up the rebounding. His response "That's what I'm here for". Luv it!!!

https://madison.com/wsj/sports/coll...e_0ff90168-85de-5a15-a2bc-5d060723b6ef.html#5

article_0ff90168-85de-5a15-a2bc-5d060723b6ef.html

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT