ADVERTISEMENT

Will Tyler be drafted into the NBA draft and if so when?

First, literally no one here said he's a lottery pick. Straw man BS.

Second, Tyler definitely needs to work on ball handling.

Third, he will play professionally. Currently, Blake Francis and TJ Cline are in the G League, one step away from the NBA. If those two are at that level, Tyler certainly has a chance, and I'm not counting him out because he had a couple bad shooting games in January of his junior year of college. The fact that it has been reported that we've had NBA scouts at multiple of our games suggests we're not alone in that view.

Fourth, I think the jury's still out on Mike Young. Right now he's learning what it's like to play in the ACC with Wofford level recruits now that Buzz Williams' recruits are gone. I'm not exactly sure what's so attractive about playing at VT right now.

Curious to what these scouts think of Gilyard. Yes he is 5'9 and likely has no future in the NBA, but the 2 games that Richmond has had the most scouts at(at least that I think) are the Dayton 19-20 game and the Davidson game this year. Both games gilly had 29 and 28. They have to see a little promise there right?

First, literally no one here said he's a lottery pick. Straw man BS.

Second, Tyler definitely needs to work on ball handling.

Third, he will play professionally. Currently, Blake Francis and TJ Cline are in the G League, one step away from the NBA. If those two are at that level, Tyler certainly has a chance, and I'm not counting him out because he had a couple bad shooting games in January of his junior year of college. The fact that it has been reported that we've had NBA scouts at multiple of our games suggests we're not alone in that view.

Fourth, I think the jury's still out on Mike Young. Right now he's learning what it's like to play in the ACC with Wofford level recruits now that Buzz Williams' recruits are gone. I'm not exactly sure what's so attractive about playing at VT right now.
He had Wofford guys last year too. Buzz left the cupboard very bare when he left. Only guys left really were Bede who was a point guard that couldn’t score or shoot and Tyrese Radford, another guard who couldn’t shoot but was good at getting to the bucket and rebounding. Mike young filled out the rest of the roster and took Tech to the tournament last year which was impressive given what he had. Radford decided to transfer to A&M before this year which did hurt because now we don’t have a guard who can consistently drive to hole and score or get to the line. Have lost more close games than almost anyone this year so eventually those might break the right way and even if they don’t Mike young will have us back next year with Burton as a big piece of the puzzle!

What Burton should do this year though is declare for the draft - so he can go through the process, get feedback, and attend NBA workouts and camps. I think you can still do this as long as you don't hire an agent and pay your own way to these events - but maybe he can get an NIL deal to fund those trips.

He can get all the attention he needs to be drafted at UR. He mostly needs to improve his handle and be the player we can count on every game. Not hot and cold. One other thing he needs is learning to deal with being targeted by opponents defense every game.

Reactions: SpiderGuy
What Burton should do this year though is declare for the draft - so he can go through the process, get feedback, and attend NBA workouts and camps. I think you can still do this as long as you don't hire an agent and pay your own way to these events - but maybe he can get an NIL deal to fund those trips.
No question. This is exactly what he should do. I don't see him as a first rounder this year but do it get the attention and the feedback and come back for your senior year and work on that.

Reactions: Eight Legger
I don't see Burton as the sure fire NBA draft pick. Keep in mind that all comments that follow are based upon current assessment. He has another year to work and improve.

1) Burton is athletic, above most of his UR teammates. But, is he world class, better than most competitors in the NBA, I don't see it. 2) Without question, Burton has improved his shooting to the point that he is better than most of his UR teammates. But, is he a world class shooter that compares favorably with the best in the NBA, I don't see it. 3) Does Burton's ball handling ability compare favorably with NBA players, I don't see it. He needs a lot of work in this area. 4) Is Burton's defense NBA level, I don't see it, he needs a lot of work in this area.

Will some NBA team give Burton an outside shot by inviting him to tryouts, the answer is likely yes. They have everything to gain and nothing to lose. Will Burton play professionally in Europe, the answer is likely yes.

Reactions: Zeeter
I would expect Mike young to come after Burton pretty hard after this season. He would be a great fit on his team.
if Tyler put his name in the portal (which I don't think he'll do), then I'd expect interest from Mike Young.

Curious to what these scouts think of Gilyard. Yes he is 5'9 and likely has no future in the NBA, but the 2 games that Richmond has had the most scouts at(at least that I think) are the Dayton 19-20 game and the Davidson game this year. Both games gilly had 29 and 28. They have to see a little promise there right?
Gilyard is special, but I don't see how he can defend in the NBA.

Gilyard is special, but I don't see how he can defend in the NBA.
Agree…amazing college talent. I think he will play professionally but prob overseas, but small guards in the league have to elite in every aspect of the game. I don’t think he is an elite defender and the avg guard in the league is 6’2-3ish. A lot of people get caught up on what they do in college and college isn’t the NBA, the best players in the world reside there. I think Tyler stays but should test the waters and get that feed back bc what I see is he has the tools but what position will he play, prob the 3 maybe 2. Can he guard guys like Paul George, Kris Middleton, Devin Booker bc that’s who he’ll be seeing every night but as others have noted…ball handling and lateral movement defensively need work. I think he can play there but should work on those things but on the flip side NBA drafts on potential. So I think he’s still in a good spot.

Last edited:
agreed. but I don't think he'll hear anything new on feedback that our coaches or any armchair coach doesn't see. he's stong enough now. he's bouncy enough. he shoots well. ne needs to improve his handle and defense.

if I'm an NBA guy I'd consider him in the 2nd today and I'll work on those things. rather that than watch him blow up next year and miss him. he's a high character guy and hard worker with athleticism, shooting skills and and NBA body. you could do a lot worse.

Hopefully this off season Mooney can break out of his recruiting ways and find some legit PF/C types in the portal. I think that will be a key for Burton to continue to showcase his perimeter skills next year - and hopefully with a nice improvement on the areas noted - ball handling, release, lateral defense. He has improved very nicely each season, so I don't see why not. I would think the possibility to get drafted and play in the NBA would be a nice motivator.

It does seem Young has hit a wall at VT. He's not that great or smart to beat those teams without having top level talent. You absolutely cannot use the excuse of needing a few years to get your guys in this day and age with player movement. That is what drives me crazy about Mooney too. Keep missing guys, but don't use the portal. Always 3-4 years behind the trends in college basketball at least. Match up zone got figured out for YEARS, and finally changes.

Burton is getting double digit rebounds on a team where the coach literally hates and discourages rebounding. Just think what this kid could really do if unleashed.

Reactions: Eight Legger
I saw a different much more determined Burton in the second half. He fought and
scrapped hard for position and seemed a step quicker. When Tyler is in that type of
zone, he can carry the team with him. Also at one time our lineup was Grant, Grace,
Tyler, Connor and Gilyard and it did very well while on the floor.

Agree…amazing college talent. I think he will play professionally but prob overseas, but small guards in the league have to elite in every aspect of the game. I don’t think he is an elite defender and the avg guard in the league is 6’2-3ish. A lot of people get caught up on what they do in college and college isn’t the NBA, the best players in the world reside there. I think Tyler stays but should test the waters and get that feed back bc what I see is he has the tools but what position will he play, prob the 3 maybe 3. Can he guard guys like Paul George, Kris Middleton, Devin Booker bc that’s who he’ll be seeing every night but as others have noted…ball handling and lateral movement defensively need work. I think he can play there but should work on those things but on the flip side NBA drafts on potential. So I think he’s still in a good spot.
More likely he sees the bench than those guards but I hear you. I think any of us would relish the opportunity to be the 8th or 9th man on nba roster.

Reactions: SpiderDad75
If mooney is back next year he’s gone, mark it down.
lol, based on what? just because you don't think highly of Mooney doesn't mean his players feel the same.

you don't think Tyler has improved dramatically under CM? he was most improved in the entire conference last year, and could be in the running again this year. that's incredible. not sure that's ever happened before.

Reactions: plydogg
agreed. but I don't think he'll hear anything new on feedback that our coaches or any armchair coach doesn't see. he's stong enough now. he's bouncy enough. he shoots well. ne needs to improve his handle and defense.

if I'm an NBA guy I'd consider him in the 2nd today and I'll work on those things. rather that than watch him blow up next year and miss him. he's a high character guy and hard worker with athleticism, shooting skills and and NBA body. you could do a lot worse.
He shoots well, but I think his release is too slow for an NBA 2/3. Hope I’m wrong or he works on it in the off season.

it seems to work as he's tall and shoots it from very high and almost behind his head and with high arc. almost never blocked until yesterday. agreed quicker would be great if he doesn't sacrifice accuracy.
JNew had a slow release in the NBA. most guys aren't taking highly contested 3's. if they're out on you that far you have to be able to beat them off the dribble.

Agree…amazing college talent. I think he will play professionally but prob overseas, but small guards in the league have to elite in every aspect of the game. I don’t think he is an elite defender and the avg guard in the league is 6’2-3ish. A lot of people get caught up on what they do in college and college isn’t the NBA, the best players in the world reside there. I think Tyler stays but should test the waters and get that feed back bc what I see is he has the tools but what position will he play, prob the 3 maybe 2. Can he guard guys like Paul George, Kris Middleton, Devin Booker bc that’s who he’ll be seeing every night but as others have noted…ball handling and lateral movement defensively need work. I think he can play there but should work on those things but on the flip side NBA drafts on potential. So I think he’s still in a good spot.
The list of NBA players 5'9 or shorter is pretty darn small. Gilly's offensive game is not very good for a player his size. He is not a great 3 point shooter (yeah, I know he is our all time 3 point shot maker, but that is a volume stat), has never mastered the floater and as Dad said, who is able to guard in the NBA. Gilly will make good money overseas if that is what he wants.

I don't see Burton as the sure fire NBA draft pick. Keep in mind that all comments that follow are based upon current assessment. He has another year to work and improve.

1) Burton is athletic, above most of his UR teammates. But, is he world class, better than most competitors in the NBA, I don't see it. 2) Without question, Burton has improved his shooting to the point that he is better than most of his UR teammates. But, is he a world class shooter that compares favorably with the best in the NBA, I don't see it. 3) Does Burton's ball handling ability compare favorably with NBA players, I don't see it. He needs a lot of work in this area. 4) Is Burton's defense NBA level, I don't see it, he needs a lot of work in this area.

Will some NBA team give Burton an outside shot by inviting him to tryouts, the answer is likely yes. They have everything to gain and nothing to lose. Will Burton play professionally in Europe, the answer is likely yes.
Good points. I watch a lot of NBA, they have some freaky athletes but I think Burton athletic abilities are NBA worthy. I think his shot can improve but has a lot to impress NBA scouts. Not everyone in the NBA is a great ballhandler, those that aren't have roles they fill (great rebounder, great spot up shooter, great defender). I do think your point number 4 is what will hold him back the most. He needs to improve on his defense. He gets beat off the dribble far too much and for as great of an athlete as he is, his lateral quickness, which is key to keeping your man in front of you needs work.

lol, based on what? just because you don't think highly of Mooney doesn't mean his players feel the same.

you don't think Tyler has improved dramatically under CM? he was most improved in the entire conference last year, and could be in the running again this year. that's incredible. not sure that's ever happened before.
Because somewhere else has more to offer him. Has more to do with that than anything else. I do think he knows that mooney is holding the program back because how could you not see that. He knows that getting to the big dance is an excellent show case for the next level and transferring somewhere that gives him a better chance at that is in his best interest. Can’t wait to have him next year!

Because somewhere else has more to offer him. Has more to do with that than anything else. I do think he knows that mooney is holding the program back because how could you not see that. He knows that getting to the big dance is an excellent show case for the next level and transferring somewhere that gives him a better chance at that is in his best interest. Can’t wait to have him next year!
you won't. and I believe Mike Young has more ethics than to reach out to anyone not in the portal.

Eff VCU but Williams is better than Burton.

Mooney had to know that VCU was going to go to him at the end of the game and he just killed us.

Reactions: 8legs1dream
I feel like his slump coincided with when the scouts, the media, and we started raising this possibility. Which suggests that the wants the NBA, it's putting unncessary pressure on him, and maybe he should stop reading this board:rolleyes:

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT