ADVERTISEMENT

Who's Leaving?

congrats to Dan, he will do well in whatever capacity, should be a great experience. Blatt played at Princeton I believe.

Interesting note that Luke Moyer transferred - grad transfer I presume.

I don't know who it is, but hate to lose either Ryan or Kevin as the DOB, though I guess you have to take the opportunity or at least resume builder to be a full assistant if it is there? Pay raise I would guess too?

Sounds like Smitty is gone, hate to lose his "edge". Guessing the pay is that much better to make it worth it? Not sure how much clout working at Campbell brings, if it is the pay can't Mooney make a DOB position (even if 2 spots) worth more than the lowest assistant position at Campbell?

both JB and CM coached at lower levels at unknown schools. you have to get the experience no matter where it is to continue to move up and get to the top, if that is your goal.

Yeah, for all know the pay down there is equal or worse to what he made as a DOBO here (though I doubt it). But he will have a lot of new responsibilities and it's an upward move that you have to take at some point. He could wait for it to happen here, which could be awhile, or take it right now somewhere else.

You have to move up the totem pole when given the opportunity.

You have to move up the totem pole when given the opportunity.
Great opportunity for KS to move into an asst. job position. I feel he has a bright future in the basketball world. Hate to see him go but very happy for him.

Great opportunity for KS to move into an asst. job position. I feel he has a bright future in the basketball world. Hate to see him go but very happy for him.
Smitty is a great guy with a terrific personality. He will do well, but we will miss him. Best wishes to Smitty.

Its a move upward, even if the pay is not that much better. Simply because you get true coaching experience to put on the resume. Officially - DOBO's are not allowed to take part in coaching activities, especially in practice. We all know this is not really true as many DOBO's are just another assistant coach who also takes part of all the travel and camp arrangements.

But when your an assistant starting at a lower school - its a gamble. You are basically putting your belief in the head coach to make a run, climb the ladder and hopefully take you with him as an assistant at a bigger program. I guess when you think of it that way - you have to wonder, does Smitty have more belief in Campbell to make a run and hopefully help him move up the ladder as opposed to Mooney and UR, who although Mooney might not leave UR - it certainly looks better if your able to put NCAA team on your resume, be it as DOBO or assistant coach.

It does not have anything to do wtih Mooney or Campbell. Its getting into an asst position at at D1 university. You work you butt off and make a name for yourself. Its not about following a coach. This is a solid move for KS. It gives him an opportunity to get out on the recruiting trail and make a name for himself. You can't do that as a DOBO. On top of that the had another DOBO in front of him at UR.

Reactions: Ulla1 and ur2K
Good luck to Smitty. And it's recruiting experience too for resume. Maybe he'll be back one day. Plus he could actually be 2nd asst, looks like Campbell losing Geriot and the asst going back to Temple.

Reactions: Ulla1
Hate to lose the cookie dunker, but best of luck Smitty! Stay true, we may see you again.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT