ADVERTISEMENT

Who will be the next Provost?

spideroo

Letter Winner
Aug 23, 2011
My understanding is that the first two (of three) finalists have been revealed.

Each hails from a no-name school that has D-3 athletics.-- Connecticut College and The College of New Jersey, respectively.

Should this worry Spider fans?

This post was edited on 3/22 6:11 PM by spideroo

The Provost is a purely academic position. Our concern should be the who is to become our next President.

Ulla, not sure I can agree with that, granted an academic position, but generally has a huge influence over admissions. When Coaches have to "fight" admissions it's usually not good for athletics. Not advocating open admissions but we try to hire coaches that understand, give them some ground.

Ulla - just wondering if you know whether the Law School and Business School at Connecticut College are outstanding?

Conn College is a nice little school,just off the CT river and literally across the street from The Coast Guard Academy.The Camels compete athletically with the likes of Amherst,Williams,Bowdoin,Bates,Colby,Trinity but are not in their league academically.The Prez of Conn College was the Prez of the College of Charleston,SC.He wears bow ties.Conn College was a girls only school until the mid-70's.It has nice New England foliage in the Fall.It better be for $58,000.

Allred was the perfect hire for UR as its Provost.After 22 years at UNC Chapel Hill,he began UR in 2008.He's leaving his post at age 63 and will teach for 2 years at the Law School.Hire someone from a prestigious larger school with a notable curriculum not from a CT college prep school where pipe smoking and patches on tweed jackets are a mandatory dress code.

This post was edited on 3/23 11:34 PM by 32counter

Among its "peer" group

I am aware of Connecticut College as the daughter of my research associate from Harvard went there. She is now working on a masters in public health at UNC. It is a great school, highly competitive as is her brother's alma mater, Bates.

Supposed Peer Group
------------------------------
Institution USNWR Rank Class of 2017 Acceptance Rate
--------------- --------------- --------------------
Williams College 1 16.9%
Amherst College 2 13.7%
Bowdoin College 4 14.5%
Middlebury College 4 19.2%
Hamilton College 14 27.1%
Wesleyan University17 19.4%
Bates College 22 23.7%
Colby College 22 26.0%
Tufts University 28 18.7%
Trinity College 36 31.1%
Connecticut College 45 35.2%

This post was edited on 3/23 10:56 PM by 32counter

UR Provost duties

Our new provost will be a female. The two men are just token interviews. Men are hard to find in the presidents inner circle.

Next provost is indeed a woman, but she's from Wake Forest, so there's that. Given my background, can't say I'm sad to see a biophysicist in the position, but that's just me being selfish.
smile.r191677.gif

http://thecollegianur.com/2014/04/23/new-provost-vp-acadmeic-affairs-begin-july/44569/

I for one am glad to see it is someone like a biophysicist which I consider an actual area of learning. Happy that her background is not something like women's studies, anthropology of the subcontinent, or some other made up area of concentration. She sounds like an actual educator and not some LBGT militant whacko type. I guess that's why she's a Provost and not in some contrived administrative role.

did not see anything concerning her personal life, married, to a man, woman, or other, plays tennis, loves sports, etc. am sure that will follow once they are sure she was not involved with the main line group up in PA

Really like this selection. She is a very good biochemist who with her mentor at Penn State pioneered the importance of folding of proteins. Her mentor at Penn State moved to Johns Hopkins. She is married as her first publication in Science is under a different name. I think this is a really good choice. Proud of my alma mater.

Originally posted by URPike:

I for one am glad to see it is someone like a biophysicist which I consider an actual area of learning. Happy that her background is not something like women's studies, anthropology of the subcontinent, or some other made up area of concentration. She sounds like an actual educator and not some LBGT militant whacko type. I guess that's why she's a Provost and not in some contrived administrative role.
Wow!

A, you are a handy guy to have around, now get started on how many kids, what sports she may play, if she is a big sports fan and what food she likes. have this ready for me saturday morning......thanks

H &W have been 110% supporters of the Deacon Club. She was a bio-chem major at Albright College a small Methodist affiliated liberal arts college in Reading Pa. Could find nothing about sports participation for either or kids.

This post was edited on 4/26 7:50 AM by Anachnoid

Deacon supporters

one can always count on you A and that is important and am sure you will continue to search for the other areas of interest......thanks again

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT