ADVERTISEMENT

Where to, Ododa?

KWeaver

Team Manager
Jan 23, 2004
RTDjohnoconnor
Richmond coach Chris Mooney said 6-9 senior Alonzo Nelson-Ododa has chosen to use his final year of eligibility elsewhere. 3-year regular.
5/5/15, 4:50 PM

Disappointing, because I think we had started to see a better offensive version of him. But maybe he saw the writing on the wall in terms of reduced playing time with Wood becoming eligible? No idea, just speculating. I don't think this will be a huge setback for us, but it thins out our front court options a bit. We did play very well without him when he was injured last year. Not sure whether we can deduce much from that or not. I wish him all the best, hope he finds a great landing spot.

Sad to see Alonzo go. I could tell he had lost heart for the game after he got hurt. Hope he does well and succeeds at whatever is next for him.

Disappointing, because I think we had started to see a better offensive version of him. But maybe he saw the writing on the wall in terms of reduced playing time with Wood becoming eligible? No idea, just speculating. I don't think this will be a huge setback for us, but it thins out our front court options a bit. We did play very well without him when he was injured last year. Not sure whether we can deduce much from that or not. I wish him all the best, hope he finds a great landing spot.

Would Wood take time from him though? I feel like Wood is more of a 3 or 4. This means we will probably see decent playing time for Friendshuh. Really sad to see Ododa leaving.

Unless this was a coaching decision, I'm very disappointed in Alonzo. He received a free scholarship year, knowingly, with the idea of getting 4 years of a more mature, Alonzo. I feel honor and character, should dissuade redshirt players, from transferring after graduation. I don't think it should be allowed by NCAA.

If coaches indicated to Alonzo, that he would be not playing a large role this year, then I would accept that his decision was proper.

I still believe that many programs have benefitted from redshirting. But, CM, has clearly failed at it, maybe we should just stop it. Unless Trey has an unbelievable year, or Friendshuh, has 4 great years, we've gotten no return on our investment in redshirt scholarships.

Agree, Paul F stands to be the largest beneficiary of the new minutes.

Good luck, Zo.

Honestly, we probably had one front court piece too many next year but I'm disappointed to see him go.

Basketball redshirting is pointless.

If this was Ododa's decision, the timing stinks. If a coaches decision, do we have prospects for our 2 open scholarships? You cannot have too much depth, and Ododa is outstanding, defending the rim. We have no one like him, left on our roster.

Would Wood take time from him though? I feel like Wood is more of a 3 or 4. This means we will probably see decent playing time for Friendshuh. Really sad to see Ododa leaving.

I mean, they are almost same height. I don't know what kind of game Wood has, but he's 6-8 vs Alonzo's 6-9. I don't expect much from Friendshuh this year. If we get anything from him, it will be a pleasant surprise. Wood has been in college for 3 years now, so he should be ready to contribute some meaningful minutes for us.

That's the gamble you take by redshirting a player. Of course, a player could graduate in 3 years and try to transfer somewhere but that's rare. I'll miss Ododa greatly. Some low D1 school will like his services.

Unless this was a coaching decision, I'm very disappointed in Alonzo. He received a free scholarship year, knowingly, with the idea of getting 4 years of a more mature, Alonzo. I feel honor and character, should dissuade redshirt players, from transferring after graduation. I don't think it should be allowed by NCAA.

If coaches indicated to Alonzo, that he would be not playing a large role this year, then I would accept that his decision was proper.

I still believe that many programs have benefitted from redshirting. But, CM, has clearly failed at it, maybe we should just stop it. Unless Trey has an unbelievable year, or Friendshuh, has 4 great years, we've gotten no return on our investment in redshirt scholarships.

I don't think our coaches would force a player out when we have room on our roster to spare, there would literally be no reason to do it. I also don't think there is any way our team is better without ANO. He was putting up about 7 points, 5 rebounds and 2 blocks in 20 minutes a game last year, and doing so very efficiently. He will be missed on the court.

I am not going to fault ANO for choosing to transfer somewhere else, but the decision seems weird from my perspective since it seems to me that we are poised to be an NCAA team next year. I don't want to speculate on why he is choosing to transfer, but I can't resist. If Mooney did tell him that his playing time would go down that would make the most sense to me as a reason to transfer.

Last edited:
Reactions: SpiderK
I agree with fan2011, can't imagine this is a coaches decision this late in the recruiting season. I think he just lost heart for the hard work.

Most likely, he thought he could get more minutes elsewhere.

The good news is the offense / defense switching with TJ is a thing of the past.

Our friends in Lambville are speculating that another shoe will drop later this week.

I mean, they are almost same height. I don't know what kind of game Wood has, but he's 6-8 vs Alonzo's 6-9. I don't expect much from Friendshuh this year. If we get anything from him, it will be a pleasant surprise. Wood has been in college for 3 years now, so he should be ready to contribute some meaningful minutes for us.

According to kenpom Wood played most of his time at the 4 at Virginia Tech. You are probably right Eightlegger, he could see some time at the 5 especially since the only person taller than him on the team will be Friendshuh.

Heights for next year:
Friendshuh: 6'10?
Wood: 6'8
TJ: 6'8
TA: 6'8
DT: 6'7
TD: 6'5
JJones: 6'4
JJohnson: 6'3
JP: 6'3
Fore: 6'2
SDJ: 5'10

We really are upgrading our height on the guard side, trading the Kendall (5'8) for Fore (6'2), JJohnson (6'3) and JP (6'3). That is half a foot!

Our friends in Lambville are speculating that another shoe will drop later this week.

I don't like the sound of that, dropping shoes are generally not good for spiders. The only other possible grad transfer is Trey Davis.

Really sorry to see Zo leave, really an impressive young man. If he chooses, he will have his choice of high D1 programs. My Duke post doc said Duke would love to have someone with his defensive capabilities.

Now it seems as if it's something good happening to them, vs. anything else bad happening to us. Possibly Buckingham committing to them, which I would be fine with...as long as we get Sherod.

Really sorry to see Zo leave, really an impressive young man. If he chooses, he will have his choice of high D1 programs. My Duke post doc said Duke would love to have someone with his defensive capabilities.

LOL. He is not transferring to Duke. He will end up someplace like Siena or Charleston. Maybe a top program in a one-bid league that has a good shot to go to the tourney.

LOL. He is not transferring to Duke. He will end up someplace like Siena or Charleston. Maybe a top program in a one-bid league that has a good shot to go to the tourney.

He isn't going to Duke, but I don't think he goes to a Siena either, he is a valuable player. He is an excellent shot blocker and rim protecter had the best rebounding percentage on our team, and gets a large number of steals for a center. He also had the most points per shot attempts on our team, he really should have shot the ball more. He shot 50% from 2 for his career so far which is well above the national average. He also shot 80% from the FT line this year which is incredible for end-of-game situations where the 5 is usually one of the worst free throw shooters. I think there are many decent programs who would be happy to have his skills for a year.

Perhaps to Chattanooga, now that they have a real coach there!

I realize its a 2-way street, but the more I think about it, the more the thought of investing 4 years in somebody that doesn't want to stick around to get the payoff pisses me off.

He isn't going to Duke, but I don't think he goes to a Siena either, he is a valuable player. He is an excellent shot blocker and rim protecter had the best rebounding percentage on our team, and gets a large number of steals for a center. He also had the most points per shot attempts on our team, he really should have shot the ball more. He shot 50% from 2 for his career so far which is well above the national average. He also shot 80% from the FT line this year which is incredible for end-of-game situations where the 5 is usually one of the worst free throw shooters. I think there are many decent programs who would be happy to have his skills for a year.

My hypothesis was based around his apparent desire to get more PT. He would have been playing 25+ minutes for us every night, on a team with a great chance to make the tournament. So either he wants to play 35 minutes somewhere (which is not happening at a team "better" than us) or he is ok playing less than he would have here to be on a sure-fire NCAA team.

I repeat: VCU will still field a more talented team than UR next season. And next week's transfer news hasn't even been announced, yet. Karma. :D

Football Evan Kelly All CAA defensive lineman hit the road to transfer to BC as a graduate student next season and 1 year eligibility remaining.Big loss for Danny and we ticket holders.

Lots of transferees in college BBall without a home.

My hypothesis was based around his apparent desire to get more PT. He would have been playing 25+ minutes for us every night, on a team with a great chance to make the tournament. So either he wants to play 35 minutes somewhere (which is not happening at a team "better" than us) or he is ok playing less than he would have here to be on a sure-fire NCAA team.

That is a good point. If he wants more time he probably will have to downgrade to find it. If he just wants a change of scenery there will be some good options for him if he is willing to take a reduced role.

And Ododa leaving was not a coach's decision. Hearing Mooney is pissed about it.

Reading between the lines of JOC's piece on the matter, I would agree that Mooney seems pissed.

You mean, you're reading your own message board about it from someone else who said that. Good work, super sleuth.
I actually haven't read the board since this morning, actually heard this from someone in person yesterday. But of course it would be out now. I also know about our transfer coming next week, though, and that isn't on any boards, yet. It'll be another reason for you to hate us.

I actually haven't read the board since this morning, actually heard this from someone in person yesterday. But of course it would be out now. I also know about our transfer coming next week, though, and that isn't on any boards, yet. It'll be another reason for you to hate us.

I was concerned you were referring to another transfer for us. I feel better. You can run along whenever.

Zo's move only came after discussions with Chris Mooney. This is a move that will benefit all concerned. Roll Spide!

Reactions: MolivaManiac
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT