ADVERTISEMENT

Welcome back, Grant!

giphy.gif

This is wonderful news. We are going to dominate next year. I predict top 25 most of the season for the first time in school history. Let's load up the schedule.

Reactions: Gallipoli
Rothstein got the memo. Significant sports reporting news.

(Edit: He deleted his original tweet and reposted it with new comment about Sherod being back. I doubt he has any actual info on that though.)

Last edited:
I just hope that Mooney will reduce his minutes so he isn't wiped out the last 5 minutes of every game. We got a glimpse of what Matt Grace is capable of when he gets regular meaningful minutes. I would love to see Grace getting maybe 10-14 minutes and Grant getting 26-30.

Rothstein got the message that Sherod hasn't said he's coming back, so he reverted to the original version of his tweet.

Reactions: nathanw19
I just hope that Mooney will reduce his minutes so he isn't wiped out the last 5 minutes of every game. We got a glimpse of what Matt Grace is capable of when he gets regular meaningful minutes. I would love to see Grace getting maybe 10-14 minutes and Grant getting 26-30.
I would think that is going to happen. I also think Grace is going to be a lot more aggressive next year.

Did anyone see the movie “Major League”
When Pedro Cerrano says “F you Jobu, I do it myself”?

Maybe this team is old and wise enough to tell Mooney the same thing this year. Of course substituting rebounding for hitting the curveball.

starting frontcourt should be as good or better than last year, and we have to feel 100% better about Matt and Sal backing them up than we did going into last season.

we know a lot more about Dji and Isaiah too. and hopefully a healthy Crabtree.

our depth looks ridiculous before even adding any freshmen. I don't see how any freshman can break in this year but that's going to be the case all over the country. if they push through, great. otherwise their time will come.

Did anyone see the movie “Major League”
When Pedro Cerrano says “F you Jobu, I do it myself”?

Maybe this team is old and wise enough to tell Mooney the same thing this year. Of course substituting rebounding for hitting the curveball.
smh. I guarantee the team respects Mooney more than this board does.

Definitely see some redshirts in the freshman class. With Nelson coming off that injury, I'm more and more in favor of him redshirting to make sure he's fully healed and ready to go the following year. With the extra COVID year, Wilson and Nelson are now essentially in the same class, so it would be good to space them back out.

Reactions: nathanw19
Not necessarily a matter of respect. I see a lot of the good coaches in college basketball refer to the player lead team being greater than the coach led team. Now if you have a great coach, that can work too. Roster management will be very interesting next year.
I'm glad these guys get an extra year, if for nothing else to hopefully have a normal senior college year.

HAHAHA! It's a big day in Henrico!
They don’t care at all. They know they own us and likely will again next year. Trust me no one at vcu is afraid of UR as long as Mooney is the coach. If this team goes 3 years with this core group without a bid then it is THE biggest failure in college basketball over the last decade. I said what I said.

Reactions: Spiders4ever
The only way we don't have fans in the stands next season is A) People that won't get the vaccine keep it circulating and protocols have to stay in place. Hopefully this percentage is low and we get some type of herd immunity despite B) Variants outpace the vaccines.
I have had my vaccines and have my vaccine passport to prove it. Ready to attend this fall.

The only way we don't have fans in the stands next season is A) People that won't get the vaccine keep it circulating and protocols have to stay in place. Hopefully this percentage is low and we get some type of herd immunity despite B) Variants outpace the vaccines.
B is my concern. I don't know how long they expect to take to get the revised vaccines out to the public, but I'm hearing about vaccinated people getting Covid due to the new strains. we've got to get on top of this. we're still getting way too many cases per day.

I would expect UR as a whole next year to only allow students back who have been vaccinated (or have a medical reason to not get the vaccine) and if that is the case - expect sporting events you will have to show your vaccine card.

Reactions: Eight Legger
Made no bones that I wanted the line-up to be shaken up a bit but if Grant wants to rerun it, that is his option. Agree that this team should be ranked pretty highly next year and Mooney and company had better get prepared to load up on the OOC slate. Play anyone anywhere with this squad.

I hope we aren't ranked once all season, to be honest. It turned out to be the worst thing that happened to us. We lost almost immediately after being ranked and never looked the same again. Let's fly under the radar and do something very unlike us, like win the league after being picked fourth, or win the A10 tourney as a 5-seed or something like that.

OOC schedule will be key next year. I wonder how this will be effected with the returning players because I would guess the schedule was planned to be pretty light considering we were not going to be very good. But now with almost everyone returning - is there room to add some P5 buy games or get invited to a showcase tourney.

that's a good point. I wonder how much of the schedule is already set. I think they likely have a lot of room still.

that said, I don't know that it matters so much. if it's weaker than it could be because we didn't know who'd be back, well then we just have to win a lot of games.

I hope we aren't ranked once all season, to be honest. It turned out to be the worst thing that happened to us. We lost almost immediately after being ranked and never looked the same again. Let's fly under the radar and do something very unlike us, like win the league after being picked fourth, or win the A10 tourney as a 5-seed or something like that.
To be fair, we won our first two games after being ranked, and then our loss was to a team ranked higher than us. No shame in that, although I'll readily admit the way we lost that game wasn't pretty.

Reactions: urfan1 and plydogg
And we still have states like Texas, where they sold out their baseball game yesterday, and maybe one out of every 20 people there was wearing a mask. 🙁🙁🙁
I would expect UR as a whole next year to only allow students back who have been vaccinated (or have a medical reason to not get the vaccine) and if that is the case - expect sporting events you will have to show your vaccine card.
There is nothing wrong with Texas letting in full capacity crowds. I’m not trying to start a political argument here but it is your right as a citizen to get or not get the vaccine and I’m not gonna judge you either way. What I do have a problem with is asking for a “vaccine passport”. We are setting a dangerous precedent with that and if we first ask for that then other things will follow.

This is great wisdom...dial back the UR PR effort...forget about team and individual all time records and accolades until after the season... focus on playing with passion and determination to win games and maximize the team...make the goal overachieving expectations

many times we don't get a second chance...this team gets one...take advantage!

Go Spiders!

Reactions: Eight Legger
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT