ADVERTISEMENT

We should schedule Olympic Sports games against Vandy

MolivaManiac

Spider's Club
Feb 8, 2004
I think Vandy would be a great team for us to be playing in baseball, golf, tennis and some of the women's sports. What do you think?

Great idea, Mo. More importantly, we should do home and home with Vanderbilt in lacrosse.

Vandy was 54-12 in baseball last year.Went to Super Regional.They would crush us.As for LAX,no Mens LAX at Vandy but only Womens where they are less than mediocre.

I can only speak about baseball, but don't be surprised if Woodson doesn't schedule Vandy, or similar competition, for baseball in 2015. He wants to up the RPI so that if we don't win the A10 conference tourney, we would be considered as an at-large for the NCAA tourney based on RPI. He couldn't do much for 2014, but he will schedule teams like Vandy in 2015. This year, we play 4 ACC teams and Woodson only had a month to pull that off. Because it is his first year and has somewhat of a honeymoon, he is not afraid of his W-L record controlling his employment. His approach is correct, IMO, where you go out and play top-flight competition OOC and then play presumably weaker or comparable teams in-conference. Mac took the other approach, using weaker-than-confenence foes as a tune-up for conference play. He had to be concerned about his W-L record more than Woodson does.

BTW, Vandy might sweep UR, but two games would be very close (we might even sneak one) and probably one blowout. Our pitching will match up with most teams and that is a great equalizer.

Don't be surprised when you see the likes of NC State, UNC, Vandy, Tulane, Stetson, Clemson, etc. on the 2015 baseball schedule.

Originally posted by RylandRecluse:
I'd like to see the club volleyball team get a home and home series with Northwestern, personally.
laugh.r191677.gif

TD, thanks for providing that insight. I feel it'll certainly help recruiting to play those caliber programs as well.

What are your thoughts thus far on Woodson?

(Sorry to Moliva for hijacking his thread.....I personally would like to see a home and home with Oxford on the Quidditch field)

Woodson is taking a fresh approach with the program and the players are buying into it. He has been straight-forward in his assessment of the team, pitching is good, hitting needs work and defense is a must. Personally, I like some of the initiatives he and his staff have implemented to help reduce injury and increase fitness.

Full disclosure, I liked the previous coaching staff a lot. But Woodson seems to focusing on little details that I believe will make UR baseball successful and I like his philosophies, but only time will tell. The fact that he is persuasive with TPTB means that UR baseball will get more resources needed to be successful down the line i.e. budget and facilities.

As always, this will be an interesting season. I hope the weather holds early. See you at the Pitt.

Roll Spides!

Unless we increase the amount of institutional support - ie, at least give out the max 11.7 scholarships, which I have read we do not - what's the point?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT