ADVERTISEMENT

Was this season a success?

How would you rate this basketball season?

• Successful - COY, POY, and won regular season title. Picked near bottom and finished near top.

Votes: 26 68.4%
  • Neutral - not successful, but not a failure. Slow start, strong A10 season, then fizzled out

Votes: 6 15.8%
  • Disappointment - should have made NCAA or at least A10 finals

Votes: 6 15.8%

• Total voters

SpiderTrap

Graduate Assistant
Nov 6, 2007
Imagine your the AD, and your reviewing the basketball season as a whole this year - what would you rate it?

My vote is:

OOC - not a success. Successful OOC would be putting yourself in position coming our of the OOC to be in the NCAA discussion. We we were not there. DLo injury hurt, but we really needed to beat BC and split one of the FLA/Colorado games.
Regular Season Conference - Wildly successful. I thought we should be a top 3-5 team (no just because some of the biggest dummies on the planet picked us 11 I am not validating that). We exceeded my expectations and just kept winning until the very last game.
Post Season - Thud. I think a combination of a let down and guys wearing down and Mooney just rolling out the same thing when teams adjusted to our reliance on King contributed to our down fall.

I do think you have to look at these things in a 3-4 year window. Mooney got a big lift with the Gilly/Golden team winning the A10 tourney and beating Iowa - so despite the dreadful regular season A10, he gets props for a super post season run.
This year, team came together beautifully and was good on offense and defense. Next season he is back on the clock. Third year with no NCAA and I think it starts looking like we could be in an extended drought again.

Last edited:
Good analysis Spider23 - I wonder if our OOC issues will be a norm for UR as we continue to take in transfers. Sure - the Hunt injury hurt us, but I also think guys in the beginning of the season - like King, Hunt, Bailey, Roche, and Bigelow were trying to find their place and role as when you add new pieces, especially like Hunt and King, it takes time for people understand their roles or find their roles. I think once we got to the A10 portion, players really fit into their spots. And while we relied on King heavily - the others at least knew that, and knew what to expect and how to play around him.

But your right - OOC - we needed some more wins. A10 - successful for UR, but overall for the league - disappointing. A10 was a one bid league, until Duquesne won the tourney. And thankfully - they backed it up with a NCAA win. But the A10 should be a consistent 2 bid league, with maybe a 3rd team stealing a bid here and there.

Overall - I rate this season as a success. I think with Mooney winning the league and COY and recent win vs. Iowa, he has bought himself a lot of time at UR if needed. But I agree with you - if we don't make the NCAA next year or year after, a drought could be brewing again.

Looking at our program from a mile high view, it's not a success. Another year missing out on the tourney.

Looking from a single season view, it was successful. Regular season champs for the first time, awards, long winning streaks, fun team to watch, NIT berth in a year we were supposed to stink.

Looking at it from a snapshot, March 6 moment in time, it was very disappointing. On that day we were sitting at 23-7, fresh off clinching the title, on a 6 game winning streak, etc. Then crash and burn to end the year.

As disappointed as I am with the way things ended up, I will say that overall I had a great time watching Spider basketball this year. We were exciting to watch, defended home court well, and continually exceeded expectations.

I’ve pondered this, as probably most of us have, and think I’ve managed to boil it down to one primary KPI: How much enjoyment did I get from watching this season of Spider ball? The answer for me is that it was one of the most exciting and fun seasons in recent memory when taken as a whole. So I call it successful.

although the season surprised me, I’m not going to label it as a success. This team was not good in the ooc and the same issues that we’ve seen from past years continued, late scoring droughts and those eventually came back to bite us. This team was fun to watch at times, but squandered the opportunity to the big dance. It was ours for taking and we sold. You could say it’s a moral victory but I don’t believe in that. We will likely not have as many a10 wins as we did last season for a while and we got nothing to show for it. Respect to the players though

It was a success. This was a fun team, an overachieving team, and they won the league. I think we would have all signed up for that at the beginning of the year.

But yes, I can still acknowledge that they pulled a Mooney when it counted in the A-10 tournament and in the NIT.

I like seasons that have some concrete achievements at the end. Winning the regular season qualifies there, so it was a success in my book. The postseason is a total crapshoot. We typically have not done well in the league tournaments, which sucks and needs to improve, but we outperformed 14 other teams over an 18-game schedule and it was fun to watch.

I have agreed with most of the prior posters but I am still struggling with the bad ending to the season. It wasn't so much that we lost three in a row (which was bad enough) but HOW we lost them--which, I think several of us have said before, was more like what we expected to see in November. It's like a switch flipped and some completely different team was on the court. So that is coloring how I see the season as a whole. Even though before those three losses I would have answered the OP with "definitely yes."

There is also of course, the fact that our nemesis is still playing...

Reactions: gospidersgo
There’s no doubt that the season overall was successful. But there is also no doubt that it ended horribly. The worst part to me is that the Spiders are back to the “rebuild” stage and there is no momentum from this year to carry over to next season. You can almost guarantee another preseason ranking in the double digits and most likely in the bottom four. Lots of work to do for the COY.

The worst part to me is that the Spiders are back to the “rebuild” stage and there is no momentum from this year to carry over to next season. You can almost guarantee another preseason ranking in the double digits and most likely in the bottom four. Lots of work to do for the COY.
can't tell about next year yet. so much changes with the portal. land Manon, Neskovic and Beagle ... and keep Dji? that's a strong starting lineup.

1) DLo
2) Manon
3) Dji
4) Neskovic
5) Walz/Beagle ... or my pipe dream Zona

with a talented bench led by Roche and Tyne.

Reactions: urfan1
Yes, that would be a solid lineup too IMO. I do think the chemistry and fit worked out perfect this last offseason with the new guys, that may be hard to replicate. Also, if we land a Manon or very similar type of guy, may be a slight upgrade on defense and other parts of the game from King, but King was the POY for a reason, a very dynamic offensive player that carried us a times. I completely get the guys like brooklyn that are not sold on Tyne being an offensive force for us next season. BUT, I do think there is a chance he takes that next step. It is very typical for a true freshman to struggle to make shots stepping up to college, especially at high D1. While Tyne struggled with shooting at times, he also showed a super ability to get in the lane and finish, beat his man off the dribble, and make room for his shot. And he was absolute glue on defense. I think there is a possibility that he makes that natural progression with a full season and a lot of playing time (esp when Hunt was out) and becomes an offensive force. Not saying I am fully confident, but I think it is a possibility based on the potential he showed, and the experience gained.

There’s no doubt that the season overall was successful. But there is also no doubt that it ended horribly. The worst part to me is that the Spiders are back to the “rebuild” stage and there is no momentum from this year to carry over to next season. You can almost guarantee another preseason ranking in the double digits and most likely in the bottom four. Lots of work to do for the COY.
I don't think we will be ranked again as poorly as this year in preseason. Just because of what happened this year. If we do have a lot of new players, who are unproven at this level - I bet this past year bumps us up a few spots and maybe we land 7 - 9th.

The key is the PG. Every Mooney team that is successful, our best player - not only on our team, but must be an all-league player (not POY, but that doesn't hurt) has to be the PG. So that is the biggest void at this time.

We need a dynamic scorer in the portal, without any question. If we don't get at least one, we are going to struggle to put points on the board next year, IMO.

Reactions: VT4700
Agree EL - and on first thought I was thinking that none of these guys fit that dyamic scorer mold.

But, Neskovic led his team with 16 ppg on 26 minutes - albeit not a great team but still.
And Manon led his team in scoring, which was a very good team, just a lot of depth and not hig minutes.
I do like more balance, and I guess you could point to the Jaynel/Goose backcourt - but that was a different situation. Goose great role player, was not really conditioned and/or had the skill set to the be the lead guy. Jaynel was just an unproven option, that turned out not "that" guy. I would be more optimistic with Neskovic and Manon added to a core of Dlo/Tyne/Dji that we would have good scoring options and balance. But yes, the Mooney model has usually had that one guy to be the lead option.

per 40 minutes, King was putting up 17.3 ppg as a senior at ETSU and scored 20.5 ppg per 40 at UR.
Manon scored over 22 ppg per 40 all 3 years at Cornell.
Neskovic scored 24.5 ppg per 40 this year at Dartmouth

If we do have a lot of new players, who are unproven at this level - I bet this past year bumps us up a few spots and maybe we land 7 - 9th.
I did not factor in “recency bias”, but I think it is a good point. I suppose the previous year’s place in the final standings has a significant bearing on the preseason as well. But my main point is that there is quite a bit of uncertainty which is exactly why UR was ranked 11 this year. I did not dive into what other teams in the A10 will look like either, so my “doomsday” scenario may never occur. I just don’t see CM functioning in the yearly “reload” mode of operation. I think it is way more likely that the Spiders take a step back next year.

Regardless, it will be interesting to see what happens in the portal and I am rooting to be surprised once again.

It looked like Dusan needed sets to get a shot. King created his own. I think we need to make sure we've got a guy who can create his own shot--and then make it.

Hunt can create, Tyne can create, but so far maybe don't make at high enough clip to be THE GUY.

Hunt can take over a game when he is "on" - also think Tyne has a lot of upside....overall we were expecting long season because of preseason predictions but the play of the team, King in particular alievated that with Quinn also putting up good numbers in some games. The OOC was painful and as 23 pointed out some of those games were there for the taking - BC, Colorado, and Florida. The blowout at Mason to end the regular season and the huge THUD in the A-10 and NIT were painful and awful and (fill in the blank)..............Regular A-10 - huge A+ if you ignore the game at Mason - OOC gets a D, and postseason an F..............so mixed bag but attending regular season games at Robins was terrific and fun and students attending Dayton and VCU games was a chance to relive happy college youth days......................students get primed for next season!

The season tracked like the 50+% winning coach’s typical games-slow start, big comeback, unable to finish.
The players were fun to watch and the coach, when the defenses tightened on king, was unable to figure out or just flat out refused to adjust.
When does Mooney hit the portal?

It was a success. This was a fun team, an overachieving team, and they won the league. I think we would have all signed up for that at the beginning of the year.

But yes, I can still acknowledge that they pulled a Mooney when it counted in the A-10 tournament and in the NIT.
It was so predictable, too. The fact that we call the late season swoon “a Mooney” tells you all you need to know. And some want him to get a Calipari style deal!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT