ADVERTISEMENT

VCU Game Thread at the Stu- 4pm Sat ESPNU/ESPN+ (?)

Told my wife when announcer said after Bigelow took an elbow to the face that it was incidental and "nothing" that if the announcer got the "nothing" elbow to the mouth and had to have stitches that SpiderDad said numbered 8 - he wouldn't dismiss it so easily.

If you're going to say you were founded in 1838 or whatever they say they were, then they need to own the RPI and MCV records vs us as well and include it in the all time W-L.
I think he is referring to the record against Mooney. 8-25 now. They own Mooney. Out coached terribly today. Had absolutely no answers to get King some shots.

Reactions: ur2K
Mainly because when the ball went away from King, he never got it back - that’s what they did on defense. They denied him the ball. We also don’t have a coach that is willing to bend his offense to try and make sure he gets the ball.
King didnt even try to get the ball. He stood on the outside and hardly moved half of the possessions in the second half. And YES Mooney did nothing to get him the ball… NOTHING.

Reactions: SpiderRick
Big surprise. Mooney chokes at VCU. No matter who VCU brings in to coach, Mooney is out of his league. He cant draw up one play for the 2nd best player in the conference??? This is why I refuse to believe in this team.
Cool, stay miserable dipstick. Thanks for contributing for the first time this year. I think we smoke them at home

Correct. Is Moon Dog now 8-25 vs VCU and 3 for 18 in NCAA appearances (this year TBD)?

Told my wife when announcer said after Bigelow took an elbow to the face that it was incidental and "nothing" that if the announcer got the "nothing" elbow to the mouth and had to have stitches that SpiderDad said numbered 8 - he wouldn't dismiss it so easily.
Yeah, what the hell was that. They stop the game to review blows to the head all of the time and Bigs has to 8 stitches and they are like play on. VCU definitely got the benefit of some calls, Kauny's "block" on Neil which was a slap on the arm. Shulgu got away with several push offs.

At the end of the day, the refs didn't cost us the game. VCU got hot from 3 to close the game and we couldn't match. Thought our defense was pretty sound as usual but sometimes guy just make shots.

Disagree strongly that King was a no show. VCU was essentially double teaming him, he was wise not to push it. Although on Mooney for not making adjustments of his own to get King opportunities.

Also, Nelson is completely inconsequential on the court. Him going to VCU was the biggest gift to our program that we could have imagined.

Thought that was maybe the worst we have played all year. Dlo and Dji were really the only two I thought played up to their usual level. King had a rough night on both ends, Bigelow as well. We really missed his rebounding and I’m wondering if the blow to the face threw him off (thought all of those, even unintentional ones, were flagrant 1’s now…..). Quinn passed the ball well but we really needed him to be more aggressive scoring inside with all the attention paid to King.

With all that said, Kuany is really the only guy for VCU who impressed me. If we even play at our average level, they’re extremely beatable at the RC

I agree that this UR team is a good team, fun to watch. Certainly they have won more games this year than expected, good for them. AND, the weak A-10 schedule the rest of the way provides opportunity for many more wins. All good, I expect that the Spiders will have a fair number of wins at end of season.

Realistically, I think this team needs to win the A-10 tournament to make the NCAA's. Win out (almost without exception) and finish 2nd at A-10 tournament, then MAYBE. This is possible of course, but unlikely. If anyone else other than Dayton wins A-10 tournament, it is NIT time.

Quality wins are going to be a major problem on selection Sunday. The Spiders have lost to every decent team on schedule except Dayton. Yes I said decent because some of the winning opponents aren't even that good. It seems that Colorado and Florida (probably) are NCAA teams, the others not so much.

King is a terrific player and I enjoy watching him play. Reminds a bit of Kevin Anderson. I made it clear that I was happy to see Nelson go, and I'll take King 100-1 any day. King has clearly led Richmond to an impressive number of wins already, give him credit. What some seem to want to overlook is that he has struggled mightily against quality BIG athletic guards. This has been consistent in the losses this season.

It shouldn't be that difficult for opposing teams to figure out how to put the Spiders at a significant disadvantage. It would be reasonable to expect more of the same for the rest of the year. I would like to see Mooney try some things to help King when he is overmatched physically and/or double teamed.

Worst performance all year. Vcu was bad, we were worse. Didn’t play through Quinn. Just bad. Being there aged me

Reactions: Ram Bal
Shulga is a very crafty player who makes big plays. I like his game too.
I will say he throws elbows to ribs when driving so I’m not a fan but I hated when we took Dji off of him bc he didn’t score. But Dji moved to Bam and well….GK can breakout his “Giselle” reference here 😀. I thought DLo and Dji were there normal selves as someone else said. But our defense had some lapses tonight. But like I said earlier this is one game and all we have to do is get back to winning and our at large chances are still alive. 🕷️🏀

Hey Spider fans. I had no expectations of winning - spiders were the hot hand coming into the game. What surprised me was Quinn - shocked that he did not really get going after we were abused by the Bonnie big men. I really thought y’all should have kept the back door cuts going - they were very affective. I am not looking forward to the March game at the RC but will be there in person.

Met several very nice Spider fans including ones who sat behind us and another who wore the free VCU shirt under their Spider shirt. One Spider fan was inebriated and looked like her husband was uncomfortable With her “enthusiasm “. Y’all are killing it this season. Win some more games start a new win streak until we meet again in March.

Ram Bal

We had put the A10 on notice but had an opportunity to put the city on notice and wet the bed. It might be another 20 years before we meet them where they were riding so low and we were riding so high so that was another opportunity lost. Only two thoughts and then I’m checking out for the night:
1 the press seemed fairly effective at the end there too bad we didn’t try to pressure their inbounds even a TINY amount until the game was already out of hand
2 pretty surprised at how light the Spider crowd was given the disparity of our seasons so far but maybe the joke was on me after all!!

Good night all.
Was curious about why there wasn't any pressing early in the game. The only thing that I can think of is that Mooney wanted to avoid foul trouble. However, some intermittent traps in both halves would have caught VCU off guard andnperhaps changed the trajectory of the game.

King is crazy good. I re-watched some Gonzo highlights the other day. In addition to insane range, he was a beast scoring in the lane with his strength, creating contact and scoring on drives and post ups. KA could go in the lane and get you a bucket at will too. That is the difference I see with King. He is probably better than those two pulling up off the dribble off change of direction, but Gonzo and KA could take anyone in the lane and score. I think King gets 30 at home against VCU.

Didn’t play through Quinn???
This is obvious. When on the road you don’t shoot as well as a general proposition. You have a guy a few inches taller than anyone on the court, he needs to be down low shooting from point blank range at least 15 times and popping out for open threes. Him posting up 20 feet from the basket is not playing through him. With a long team, that just causes traffic and congestion., with no open shots. I can assure you the game plan was to pound it in inside, not to hoist threes and have 5’10 guards drive into very athletic trees. That game plan was lost for some reason. I am confused at your question.

Reactions: Spiders4ever
So notice how Odom used a TO at 17 min mark when spiders got out to 6-2 run to start 2nd half and steadied his team and how we don't use one when VCU flips our lead and gets on a similar mini-run. We will see how it works out.

But we will get a TO at he under 8 whistle. But Moon is true to his beliefs. He's a hoarder!
???? I knew someone would say this. There were 3 timeouts between Odom's timeout at 17 minute mark and Mooney's under the 7 minute mark.

I will say he throws elbows to ribs when driving so I’m not a fan but I hated when we took Dji off of him bc he didn’t score. But Dji moved to Bam and well….GK can breakout his “Giselle” reference here 😀. I thought DLo and Dji were there normal selves as someone else said. But our defense had some lapses tonight. But like I said earlier this is one game and all we have to do is get back to winning and our at large chances are still alive. 🕷️🏀
Who was guarding Kuany?

And us usual we are seem too late with the TO. We have gone from 4 up to 7 down without a TO. When I posted the other message I felt like things were getting away from us a bit but still only down 2 but then the run. He needs some feel for what is about to happen sometimes.
There were 3 timeouts between us being up 4 and them being up 7. Odom called his around 17:00 left. Then, we had media timeouts at 16, 12, and 8 before Mooney's timeout inside of 7:00 when we were down 7. But, sure blame Mooney for not giving us a 6th or 7th timeout before the under 7 minute one. LOL.

Last edited:
This is obvious. When on the road you don’t shoot as well as a general proposition. You have a guy a few inches taller than anyone on the court, he needs to be down low shooting from point blank range at least 15 times and popping out for open threes. Him posting up 20 feet from the basket is not playing through him. With a long team, that just causes traffic and congestion., with no open shots. I can assure you the game plan was to pound it in inside, not to hoist threes and have 5’10 guards drive into very athletic trees. That game plan was lost for some reason. I am confused at your question.
Have you watched Neal play and how we run the offense? I can assure you the gameplan has never been to pound it inside. I don’t disagree with Neal needing to be on the block sealing his man but that isn’t the system but I’ve only been around for 4 yrs.

If Shulga is throwing elbows on offense all game THAT IS ON THE HEAD COACH TO MAKE THE REF AWARE. Point it out and if continues pull a Danny Hurley call out in front of 10k fans and make sure he calls it
I’m just telling you what I saw. He was slick with it but I had no faith that those 3 officials would have done anything anyway. No clue if Coach saw it and when I talked to Dji after the game he was like it didn’t matter bc he didn’t score on him. I would have personally gave a couple of Chris Paul’s to the lower area 😉

We had put the A10 on notice but had an opportunity to put the city on notice and wet the bed. It might be another 20 years before we meet them where they were riding so low and we were riding so high so that was another opportunity lost. Only two thoughts and then I’m checking out for the night:
1 the press seemed fairly effective at the end there too bad we didn’t try to pressure their inbounds even a TINY amount until the game was already out of hand
2 pretty surprised at how light the Spider crowd was given the disparity of our seasons so far but maybe the joke was on me after all!!

Good night all.
Tough to win on the road.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT