ADVERTISEMENT

UR vs Villanova

BACK OFF, you don't like a negative post, then put up a positive one, I don't like the negativity either, but they are entitled to their opinion

Back to the thread. I loved watching Michael Strauss on the sidelines he was all over the place urging them on. Hope the young man can get back in playing form for the playoffs. He obviously h has leadership abilities.

Watching the replay of VU's TD. Could not get a real good look but the best view looked like he had his hands under the ball. Good call by the refs. Glad they missed the EP

For some reason, when I think of Villanova, I have visions of the cartoon Josie and the Pussycats!

Villanova got declawed today!

Go Spiders!

MoManiac, I feel sorry for you. Your nastiness on this board, is an indication of the probable discord in your personal life. Few others, post such offensive posts as you do. I hope you are a generous donor to UR, because you dissuade others from doing so.

Are you going to quit the board for the dozenth time if I write something really mean?

Or will you come back for the thirteenth time to bitch and moan about our play. And then say it doesn't really matter and that others take it too seriously ?

With lots of commas?

I'm guessing all of the above. See you tomorrow.

Seriously. How can you and
Stonewall D not look back at your ridiculous negatively on this thread when we end up beating the #3 team in the country and realize how truly pathetic you are?

I'm guessing that you're too busy smelling your respective couch cushions to notice.

See, you, tomorrow.

"I''m guessing that you're too busy smelling your respective couch cushions to notice."

As a Spider speaking to a fellow Spider who is addressing another Spider in the comment above is this type crap why we have this board? Let's keep to the subject of Spider sports and leave snarky and sniping comments for some other venue.

I'm sorry. We have this board so self loathing Spiders can loathe the Spiders no matter how they play. I must have forgotten.

Moliva, I am with you all the way. It always amuses me to come home after another win and read some comments on this board. We have made plenty of mistakes throughout the year but they always seem to surface far more than the positives. Our guys played their guts out today in a heavyweight physical battle that ended in an emotional win. Yes, we could have played much better but we still WON. My only disappointment was more Spider fans could not be at the game to see it and feel that emotion!

Guys, the self loathing here is tame. Wait until basketball season starts. I find it difficult to even visit the board then.

I hear you though. We earned a great victory and should be happy, but pointing out that under a new QB the O is still searching for sustained drives in three straight games ain't a sin.

We don't have many fans. We apparently have virtually none in the pipeline so we need to hang together. Antagonistic comments don't help is all I'm saying. Just one man's opinion.

Thank you KE, sometimes we forget these guys are not professionals, but college guys that actually go to real classes. They will make mistakes, but right now they are playing their collective A$$es off. And I agree, I was sorely disappointed in the fan turnout. I was also disappointed in the fan support until the 4th quarter. Unfortunately by that time by voice was about shot. I stomped, I yelled, I walked out feeling like I had played, I hope others did as well. GO SPIDERS!

Congrats to the Spider's players and coaches. That was a very good effort today. The defense was especially good.

Most of these guys would rather bitch and moan than talk about that great win we had today. Get in the bandwagon and enjoy the ride!

Was at the game and was surprised (OK, not really because I've seen it before) that the in game thread was filled with such negative opinions on the game.

We were playing the number 3 team in the country and largely dominating them (except on the scoreboard) and it sounds like we are getting pummeled by Hampton on here.

And then even when we win, it is a half hearted congratulations for the team.

Originally posted by Stonewall D:
4 plays, one and 1/2 minutes and -13 yards.
This is a direct quote, I believe, from Bob Black. Yes, the team played its heart out, but the play calling was suspect. I question the wisdom of having Rocco, our starting QB, tuck the ball and run it. Only in certain circumstances should he be doing that. I also question whether we should have our starting QB punt the ball. I understand the faith the coaching staff has in his athleticism, but there are limits to what a starting QB should do in a game. Also, like the decision to call a cutsie play when the team broke a quick huddle, ran up to the line and fumbled the ball. It seemed that the coaches did not understand the weather conditions on the field. A cold wet ball is going to be difficult to handle, especially when the team is rushing up to the line to make a quick play- a QB sneak. The Spiders' strengths matched (passing) up well against VU's weaknesses, even in the weather. UR consistently completed passed quick short and medium passes against a team that was not effective at defending against the pass.

Did the QB sneak or the pooch kick provide any value to the Spider's game? What if he fumbled the punt and was knocked out by VU? Where is the wisdom of that?

Rocco had a 300+ yard day in passing in a tough environment. He played his heart out, he scored the winning TD, Yoder kicked the PAT. According to Matt Josephs, the scoring play was a designed read option. In the end, the defense saved the day for the Spiders.

Quick hitting pass completions. Ponder makes a great one-handed catch.
A quote of Bob Black. Bob said that this would make the highlight reels.

This post was edited on 11/3 2:30 PM by Stonewall D

Bob Black: Spids use 2 timeouts in a row. SD: Weak. Nice.
Again, quoting Bob Black. Their frustration showed, when both Bob and Jasmon noted that the team should never have to call two timeouts back to back. They noted that UR may have really sacrificed their chance to control the game at the end. Later in the broadcast, they highlighted the error when we got the ball back with 2:35 left in 4Q.

The adjectives- weak and nice were my points of emphasis, although inartfully stated.
This post was edited on 11/3 2:18 PM by Stonewall D

A team that wants to close out the year can't make mental mistakes like calling 2 timeouts in a row in the 2nd half. The coaches should not risk the health of UR's only QB, while using him as a punter. There was nothing gained; it resulted in a touch back. The coaches stopped momentum of drives, by calling running plays on first down, when the RB's ran into a stacked line. VU seemed to know what was coming. Just like the fumble at the goal line, when UR tried to trick VU, but fumbled. Again, VU seemed to know what was coming. When Rocco made quick throws, the team got on a roll. That momentum ended when UR ran into brick walls on 1st and 2nd down. Rocco is the best QB that UR has had in a long time, including Aaron Corp and Michael Strauss. The coaches almost lost the game.

The quick kick was a great play call and as I was sitting down that way can tell you that we we're one second away from downing the punt at the one. As for the QB sneak and rushing up to the line, we went with the quick snap on a number of plays during the game. We fumbled that snap, that is not on the coaches play calling. I don't care what play you call, if the snap is fumbled, the play is going no where.

Personally, I think they both were great play calls for the situations. One nearly worked to perfection and the other was blown up due to a mishandled snap.

Finally, the fourth quarter sequence, I think you are referencing. Two running plays, followed by an incomplete almost intercepted pass. What else do you want us to call. We had two running plays get stuffed while we were trying to run some clock, it left us in a 3rd and long and obvious passing situation.

Was driving through the nether reaches of South Carolina and listening to the game online, and it sounded like a frustrating game for both teams, but that happens from time to time with two solid teams. It's a great win however we had to get it.

I forget the situation with the back-to-back timeouts, so this may not exactly fit here, but in general I wonder often why teams don't just take a delay of game penalty instead of burning a timeout? It's only 5 yards. I think instinctively, players and coaches panic and call timeout if they see they can't get a play off in time.

Wall, a game, any game, at any level, has many mistakes made, by the players, the coaches, the refs, just do, the way it works. heck, the nfl, the highest level is littered with the same things you bitch about every sunday, every game.

nice try but you cannot dig yourself out of the hole you placed yourself in. almost wanted to hurl listening to the game and attempting to stay on the board with your comments. just scroll down and revisit them, amazing. know you are a SPID, know you are a fan but just keep some of that to yourself. if you have not or do not make any mistakes in any of your life's endeavors, OK, you can say whatever you wish.....

We won the game. Must have made fewer mistakes than the opposition. The object. Rejoice and get ready for Maine.

Originally posted by WebSpinner:
Wall, a game, any game, at any level, has many mistakes made... just scroll down and revisit them...
Many of the game observations came from the Spiders' announcers. For example, the two timeouts in a row and the observation that the coaches did not seem to think the weather was a factor, while the players did. The snarky comments were from me and had no place. I changed them. Thanks for the feedback.
This post was edited on 11/3 4:00 PM by Stonewall D

Originally posted by Eight Legger:
Was driving through the nether reaches of South Carolina and listening to the game online, and it sounded like a frustrating game for both teams, but that happens from time to time with two solid teams. It's a great win however we had to get it.

I forget the situation with the back-to-back timeouts, so this may not exactly fit here, but in general I wonder often why teams don't just take a delay of game penalty instead of burning a timeout? It's only 5 yards. I think instinctively, players and coaches panic and call timeout if they see they can't get a play off in time.

Completely agree on just taking the 5 yard penalty in the second half. The time outs are just too valuable. One another observation from Saturday's game was the officials. Not sure how many flags were thrown, but they were few and far between. How refreshing it was to see a game play out without the officials altering a good amount of the plays.

^^Agree. Timeouts are gold. Until the last 10 minutes of the game, just eat the 5 yards. I was really concerned that sequence was going to cost us the game.

About 18 yards of field position. And they had their defense on the field, so they couldn't return it.

What is the advantage of the pooch kick, when it resulted in a touch back?
Our gunner was about 3 feet away from downing it at the 1.

Stonewall, even if it is not worth much, you just earned my respect buddy.

actually, if we would pooch into the cougar corner and get some good shots there, all of our home games would be televised from now on.

Thought the pooch kick was a good idea that will put future opponents in a quandary should a similar situation arise. It was close to perfectly executed as we barely missed downing it just outside the goal line. As Mo said, no return so no fear of a big momentum changing play. More to said for the pooch than against it.

Stonewall D posted on 11/3/2014...
"A team that wants to close out the year can't make mental mistakes like calling 2 timeouts in a row in the 2nd half. The coaches should not risk the health of UR's only QB, while using him as a punter. There was nothing gained; it resulted in a touch back. The coaches stopped momentum of drives, by calling running plays on first down, when the RB's ran into a stacked line. VU seemed to know what was coming. Just like the fumble at the goal line, when UR tried to trick VU, but fumbled. Again, VU seemed to know what was coming. When Rocco made quick throws, the team got on a roll. That momentum ended when UR ran into brick walls on 1st and 2nd down. Rocco is the best QB that UR has had in a long time, including Aaron Corp and Michael Strauss. The coaches almost lost the game."

I was surprised no one made any comments about the last two sentences.

Stonewall probably too busy reciting Bob Black sentence for sentence to recall that gem.

"Rocco is the best QB that UR has had in a long time, including Aaron Corp and Michael Strauss. The coaches almost lost the game."

?????????really??????????? I guess from here on stonewalls observations/comments and expertise. ( or lack of ) should be ignored.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT