ADVERTISEMENT

UR vs.Maine In Game Thread

Right, the extra point comment was pretty absurd. Maine missed their extra point too, and it didn't seem to affect them the rest of the way. I'm pretty sure missing an extra point didn't contribute to Rocco forgetting which color jerseys we were wearing or to our guys forgetting how to block on a punt.

I find it interesting that Danny has on a couple of occasions stated the game turned on the missed extra point. I wasn't there, so didn't see the sidelines, but it sure seemed to me that the air went out on the pick six. Easier to throw the kicker under the bus than family. Sorry, time to move on. Hope the team isn't as hungover as I am. I really don't like purple.[/QUOTE]I saw that and thought it was an absurd statement. That happened in the first 7 minutes of the game and we were winning 6-0 at that point. It was the kicker's first PAT miss of the season, there's no need to throw him under the bus in a game where the QB and the rest of the special teams were atrocious. Maine also missed their first PAT.

The game turned when the QB threw a screen to a defender that was returned for a TD, and on the ensuing kick, we fumbled and gave them the ball back for more points, then in the 2Q we had a punt blocked for a TD, then we get the ball back - have a 3 and out - 20 sec drive, give them the ball back and let them score to end the half after a 15 yard roughing the passer penalty on second and 15. 23-6 at half time, all points pretty much gifted to the other team.

CAA teleconference still no mention about the 4 Interceptions until directly asked by reporter............no way this was on the kicker or the O line. Are we delusional?

"It's amazing. You take the first drive of the day, you go down and punch it in, and you miss the extra point." URs coach said. "You may say, 'Will that really (be) a factor in the momentum of our game? For whatever reason, the whole thing changed in that."

I feel somewhat vindicated....

Dead on Hanca. We were in great shape to have a bye and home field. Win an easier game at Maine and still solidly on track. Now we may need 2 wins to even make the playoffs. That was a huge loss and hurts us way more than a loss against jmu instead.

For the record, I believe there is at least a pretty good shot we still make the playoffs with a split of jmu/w&m. Certainly not a bye and home field though.

Man, I bet he has Yoder doing extra winds sprints all week for costing us the game like he did. Probably should be washing Mike Rocco's laundry as well because of his missed kick. We had to then play from behind the rest of the game, causing his nephew QB to make a lot of tight throws into coverage, which is of course common place, when you are trying to lead a comeback.

The comeback probably would have been more successful had our offensive line, provided better protection for our stud QB to throw, and had our receivers run better routes and gotten better separation from the defense.

Perhaps we should have Rocco quick kick all punts against JMU as well, because last time I checked he has never had one of his punts blocked. Unlike our regular no good punter.

Those 4 interceptions were beautifully thrown balls, its really not important who they got thrown to - they key is just how nice the passes looked.

But that darn kicker - missing that one point on the scoreboard really did us in.

Defense played great and they know it. Only person 'blaming' them is Rocco. The missed extra point did not take the wind out of us. D comes out and gets a stop the next drive, then the pick 6, then the fumble on the kick-off leads to a FG and we got from up 6 with the ball to down 3 and the defense never really saw the field.

Nothing about that is on the D

I think DR sometimes makes statements, that he later regrets saying, like, he got the game ball. Though, I must confess, I've been in that position, myself.

Plenty of blame to go around, but wouldn't include Yoder in that group. It was his first missed PAT all season.

Step back and look at it this way - before Maine we had won 11 of the last 13 games with only loses to a FBS program and a loss in the last 30 seconds to #1 in FCS. Regardless of how good you are, sometimes you have a bad day at the office.

We are easily capable of winning the next two games.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT