ADVERTISEMENT

UR Ice Hockey

I remember going downtown to watch the Robins play as an undergrad, they were a Flyers' affiliate.

The NHL was only 14 teams at that time and the AHL was a very good league.

I don’t believe the athletic department can really be involved at all. Club sports get funding from University Recreation allocations, fundraising, and dues.

Fields and other facilities are a university resource, not always specifically for the athletic department, though varsity sports will of course have priority.

Don’t know the specifics of the football jersey situation you refer to, but my assumption is the lax club had to pay something for them but probably got them very cheap.

I don’t believe the athletic department can really be involved at all. Club sports get funding from University Recreation allocations, fundraising, and dues.

Fields and other facilities are a university resource, not always specifically for the athletic department, though varsity sports will of course have priority.

Don’t know the specifics of the football jersey situation you refer to, but my assumption is the lax club had to pay something for them but probably got them very cheap.
Thank you for your thoughts. I don’t think we paid anything, but keep in mind this was in the late 60’s and some things were a little loser regarding clubs and the school.
One thing that made me think about this was the hockey club has great jerseys.

Ironically, I was thinking yesterday how horrific the jerseys are. I’ve never been a huge fan of the shield logo, but regardless, athletic stuff should focus around Spider branding while the shield is for more academic pursuits.

Ironically, I was thinking yesterday how horrific the jerseys are. I’ve never been a huge fan of the shield logo, but regardless, athletic stuff should focus around Spider branding while the shield is for more academic pursuits.
Most hockey teams have large logos on the front. I like the shield, but that’s only an opinion.
Maybe they aren’t allowed to wear the Spider on their jerseys because they are a club team???

Have growing fondness for club sports. Purer than scholarship sports where NIL, transfer portal, etc. have morphed the participants into unrecognizable "amateur" student athletes. With the clubs, it is all about the love of the sport, nothing more.

Reactions: AnnapSpider
Have growing fondness for club sports. Purer than scholarship sports where NIL, transfer portal, etc. have morphed the participants into unrecognizable "amateur" student athletes. With the clubs, it is all about the love of the sport, nothing more.
I agree, but much the same goes for non-revenue sports.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT