ADVERTISEMENT

2024 Baseball Season

Oddly, he's for the 2026 season. One more year at F&M and then coming to us. Looks like he'll get a medical redshirt for this past season (his junior campaign) as he only pitched in 3 games before suffering a UCL sprain and missing the rest of the season, so that's why he'll get a grad year.

This grad transfer stuff is bizarre.

Reactions: urfan1
Also, didn't realize the portal window officially closed last week. Glad we didn't lose too many guys of consequence this year. The A10 continues to be devastated by the portal as a whole, made evident by this thread. Dayton in particular got crushed, but their coach did leave to take an assistant job at Vandy.

Also, didn't realize the portal window officially closed last week. Glad we didn't lose too many guys of consequence this year. The A10 continues to be devastated by the portal as a whole, made evident by this thread. Dayton in particular got crushed, but their coach did leave to take an assistant job at Vandy.

I hate to see this happen to any school. The NCAA has really (f word up) college sports.

VCU skipper LeCroy is taking the open Liberty job. That’s a big blow to them with just a month until kids are on campus. You’ll see some late portal entries here.

Checking in on some summer ball performances - DJ Pacheco is slashing .304/.430/.598 with 8 HR and 24 RBI through 31 games in the New England Collegiate League. He was recently named a NECL all-star for his efforts. The game will be on ESPN+ this Sunday at 5pm ET. Some other notables:

• Jordan Jaffe is slashing .247/.307/.430 with 2 homers, 7 doubles, and 2 triples in the Alaskan League.
  • Aidan O'Keefe sports a .386 batting average with 19 BB to just 8 K's in 16 games in the Hamptons League.
  • Jack Arcamone is slashing .286/.368/.341 with 20 RBI in 24 games in the Futures Collegiate League.
  • Chase Topolski has pitched to a 2.20 ERA with 11 K's in 16.1 innings in the NECL.
  • Incoming grad transfer Tyler Rigot is pitching for the Boone Braves in the Costal Plain league. He's posted a 4.43 ERA and a 1.34 WHIP with 23 K's to 12 BB in 22.1 IP.
  • Incoming freshman Paul Witkop has a 2.03 ERA and picked up 2 saves in 13.1 IP in the Cal Ripken league.

Jaffe playing in the Alaskan League intrigued me. Didn't expect much BB up there, so looked it up, Five member league with two teams in Anchorage. Jaffe plays for the Chugiak-Eagle River Chinooks currently in the league basement at 8-18, ouch. Play the Mat-Su Miners tonight. Go Chinooks! Go Jordan! Hit a few frozen ropes.

Jaffe playing in the Alaskan League intrigued me. Didn't expect much BB up there, so looked it up, Five member league with two teams in Anchorage. Jaffe plays for the Chugiak-Eagle River Chinooks currently in the league basement at 8-18, ouch. Play the Mat-Su Miners tonight. Go Chinooks! Go Jordan! Hit a few frozen ropes.
The Alaska League is a shadow of what it used to be. It's a great experience, but not great competition anymore.

• Sad
Reactions: MDspider8
The NCAA is getting rid of the 11.7 scholarship limit for D1 baseball starting in the 2025-2026 season. The rosters will now sit at 34 players with NO limit to the amount of scholarships that can be offered, meaning a school could theoretically have all 34 players on scholarship if they wanted/can work it out with Title IX. Pretty exciting for the overall growth of the sport as a whole.

Realistically, this is really going to shift things at the high-major level, and unfortunately for us, I think will even further widen the disparity between mid/low major programs and the big boys. We know we aren't even at the current limit of 11.7 scholarships right now (believe the quote was "We are typically in the range of the amount of scholarships allowed"). One can hope that this rule change will initiate more funding and allow us to field better teams, but I don't see that happening.

While increased scholarships is one side of the coin, the other side is the roster limits. We had 37 on the roster this year if I counted correctly, and I'm sure other programs had more, and they'll all need to drop back to 34.

This is going to have a big effect on how walk-ons are handled. For example, men's swimming is shaping up to have a roster/scholarship limit of 23 when many of the top teams currently have 35 or more on the roster. (The current scholarship limit is 9.9.)

Potentially more money for the big schools to throw around in scholarships, but with fewer roster spots overall, some of the quality recruits who might normally walk on at a top school will trickle down to lower programs.

But the biggest concern is that in a day when the SEC and Big 12 are fully funding these sports with dozens of scholarships, smaller schools will just throw in the towel and axe their minor programs.

Got a nice card from the program today, team photo on the front and everyone's signature inside. I don't expect anything as a donor but a thank-you card was nice to receive. I never received anything as a donor when Woodson was the coach.

Looks like we've added Mauricio Rodriguez, a transfer pitcher from Rice. Played his freshman year at Georgetown, spent a year at community college, and then the last two years at Rice. Doesn't have great ratios, but did post a solid 11.8 K/9 (46 K's in 35.2 IP). His 8.07 ERA was really inflated by a few blow-up outings against top-level competition last year (LSU, Texas A&M, Tulane, etc). I'd expect better results against A10 competition.

Who knows if any of these new guys will pan out, but our pitching was awful last year and he's making an effort to address the problem.

Lorenzo is headed to D-III Franklin & Marshall, so I guess he was the player to be named later in our deal to acquire Anvar for 2025–26.

After originally being committed to Houston, Elbeery has switched his pledge to Minnesota.

Picking up a pitcher from Wagner, Ryan Bilka, with two years left. Worked out of the bullpen his frosh year with a couple of ROW honors. Was elevated to Sunday starter role a month into sophomore season and was named second-team All-NEC.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT