ADVERTISEMENT

University of Richmond Student Found Dead After NJ Shooting

At least the family can get a little closure. Hopefully these criminals get put away for a long, long time.

actually a shame, that nj cannot ship them down here to tx where we would really know what to do with them. sorry for those two families and the pain they will endure for absolutely no reason whatsoever.

Yes, Texas would be a good place for these guys. Really don't understand how you murder someone to rob them of there I-Pod and a couple bucks.

This is why the death penalty exists. If NJ has it, I hope they all get it. Of course they'll probably just get 5-year suspended sentences or something equally ridiculous.

these kinds of crimes as well as a tool, leverage, to get confessions, criminals to turn on another and to have criminals give up the goods on where bodies are hidden, etc. am a proponent of the death penalty but was on a murder trial jury once and even though not a capital charge, realized it would be very difficult to mete out that punishment unless all the Ts were crossed, all the Is dotted, etc. for these guys, probably would have no qualms

Wow! This is a tremendous problem both at home and abroad.

This post was edited on 8/24 6:38 AM by Ulla1

if that is your true goal, why just random, go to washington, dc and start there, probably a defense ploy to plead political persecution defense. just read where the first three popular names for boys born in great britain last year were, muhammed, mohammed and mohummad. don't think it was a joke but real and that is very scary along with a brit woman bragging that she wants to be the first female jihadist to kill an american. the western countries have inundated themselves with immigrants of this ilk, france is is real trouble, and we have pockets of probs both immigrated and home-grown. this is going to be a long, maybe never ending conflict around the world and particularly here.

Raises the question of why the media has such selective outrage? The cold blooded senseless killing of Brendan Tevlin by these perps has resulted in very little media coverage while the death of Michael Brown caught on camera robbing a store and dying in a confrontation with police all the details of which remain unknown has resulted in a plethora of almost constant coverage.

Originally posted by spider fan:
Raises the question of why the media has such selective outrage? The cold blooded senseless killing of Brendan Tevlin by these perps has resulted in very little media coverage while the death of Michael Brown caught on camera robbing a store and dying in a confrontation with police all the details of which remain unknown has resulted in a plethora of almost constant coverage.
I would try not to compare the two issues, as they both deserve outrage. I don't think it's just in either case to simply say that one deserves outrage while the other does not. I am outraged by the Michael Brown situation (it's not nearly as simple as him being caught on a camera robbing a store and dying as a result of it -- in MO, like most states, shoplifting something valued at less than $100 is a misdemeanor that is hardly punishable by death, and the actual theft was not known by the police at that point; But even then, the outrage is not only rooted in this one incident, but many that it represents), and I am outraged by this Brendan Tevlin situation (a kid trying to go home late at night while doing absolutely nothing bad, from what I can understand from the reports I have read).

I think it's OK to be outraged over both of these things without comparing them. From my perspective, perhaps in both cases, the wrong guy had his hands on a gun. But, that is probably overly simplistic as well. Frankly, I actually hate that I am saying that it's OK to be outraged by both of these things -- It'd be much nicer to live without the need for outrage, but you know what I am saying. Nevertheless, both situations demand outrage.

think rather than outrage, what is the media doing with their coverage? therein lies the question not the incidents but the coverage.

I would say that they are going with the story that is more newsworthy. Would you disagree?

I would also say that that being said, the twist of foreign policy, aside from the awful circumstance of being a UR student, here is something that is of interest to me. I imagine that there is a lot of analysis done, however, on what is more relevant, and therefore efficient, for a finite level of output (be it newspaper pages or articles that can be written).

to me, the media stoked the probs in ferguson. they seem to be making the story, not reporting facts, but rumors, etc. which just exacerbates the situation. the story would have been modest without them flocking, staying there fanning tempers.

Originally posted by WebSpinner:
to me, the media stoked the probs in ferguson. they seem to be making the story, not reporting facts, but rumors, etc. which just exacerbates the situation. the story would have been modest without them flocking, staying there fanning tempers.
I think it's really hard to say that.

actually quite easy to say that and the truth. the media went there with a preconceived notion of what happened and began reporting it that way. their story has now changed numerous time but with the same theme, which they will never change. that is not reporting, that is making a story which is not their job.

Unfortunately the Ferguson events are so politically charged that CNN trumped the alleged audio recording of what took place before it has been authenticated. My original point is that the cold blooded shooting of Brendan Tevlin stopped at a stoplight minding his own business is as egregious as an event can possibly be but because it does not fit into some media agenda it does not receive as much publicity as an event that fits into some news organizations' preconceived agenda. News reporting should be objective and stick with proven facts.

I look at it another way. The media went there to do their job.

1 -- Local media was there already. "citizen journalists" were out and about on twitter and other social media platforms. Citizen journalists are doing a lot of interesting things, but their ability to be objective is not always the greatest.

2 -- National media went based on all of the local attention, and they were trying to do their job. Of note, 10 media members were arrested. They also were corralled into a media area, as if it were a sporting event. Strange.

3 -- Finally, different facts have been gathered along the way, as most stories develop over a time line. Some things were supported, and others dispelled. That seems to be how most news stories go. I don't know of any that DON'T follow that arc.

Media members getting arrested is, in and of itself, an extremely significant story. When our press is getting stifled, goodbye republic. The next thing that will happen is that our free speech at our higher ed institutions will also be stifled (Illinois, anyone?). Yuck.

News reporting should be objective and stick with proven facts.
Indeed it should but unfortunately new reporting and the media have gone to more of news entertainment than true journalism. There is still real journalism out there, you just won't find it on the 24 hour news channels who to have create narrative and entertainment to fill 24 hours of news and the cheapest way for them to do that is to trump marginal news stories into big news stories in an attempt to drive there ratings.

Re: ferguson Missouri

Strip away the circus, with all the police weaponry and resources was it necessary to shoot him with a bullet? If he did assault the lone police officer why didn't to officer stay in his car and call for backup? Was anyone, after the decedent, began running away (or the officer backed up his car) in imminent danger from the decedent? All unanswered questions.

A, nobody really knows what took place and why but if one has a young man 6'4" somewhere around 250lbs in your face or whatever, no matter their color or ethnicity, things might happen which should not, just like the incident in utah, unarmed young man shot and killed by a police officer the other day. the difference is the media came in droves here and remained because this is what they live for want to sensationalize, no matter the facts, they join in as participants as much as journalists and we all know why. let the prosecutors, grand jury listen to the witnesses, sort it out and see what happens, allow the process to work. a lot of police officers don't come home to their families because they face, encounter, dangerous situations, some of which work out, some of which do not. their job is to keep the community safe and come home to their families, a very tough job and sometimes split second decisions they make may be wrong for him or the other(s). this is no different than what the press did with the M370 story, just hilarious, they are out of control and really are making matters worse.

This post was edited on 8/28 8:12 AM by WebSpinner

. let the prosecutors, grand jury listen to the witnesses, sort it out and see what happens, allow the process to work.

This post was edited on 8/28 8:12 AM by WebSpinner
Completely agree. This officer may have shot this kid with his hands up attempting to surrender. Or he may have been attacked and felt that his life was in danger.

The reality is that known of us know what happened in that situation, but we have a justice system which will seek to provide answer to that question and they will either charge this officer or not based upon the evidence at hand.

It is a shame that process will now be tainted and justice may never be known. If he is not charged, some people will say it is the cops covering it, and if he is charged others will say it is because of the fear of additional protests.

if you recall the trevon martin case in florida, the press swooped in just like ferguson, did some stupid things, nbc doctored the 911 tape for example, and made a mess of things. the original investigation ended up saying that no indictments were warranted but that did not meet the expectations of the press nor the white house or dept of justice. in the end they prosecuted when experts said they should not have and he was acquitted. the doj, thankfully, in this case, did not pursue it either because there was simply not a case to be made. the only reason it was taken to trial was to satisfy the protestors, the white house and the press, but it never should have gone to trial. all of this coverage, rumors and circus created by a bunch of people who do not live in ferguson and the press coming in with their tents and 24 hour coverage, may create the same situation here. our system does not always work but it usually attempts to serve the people and justice unlike today's press which seemingly has their own agenda and is looking for ratings rather than actual justice.

Agree Spinner on some of your points regarding Trevon, but thought the case should have gone to trial. Zimmerman basically stalked Martin, got his ass whooped when he tried to confront him, and then had to shoot him in "self-defense", despite the fact that the 911 operator told him not to pursue. If I am Trevon and some strange guy approached me in the dark of night asking questions, I don't know how I would react to that.

The prosecutor overcharged though and he got off because there was enough reasonable doubt. If they would have charged him with some type of manslaughter, he probably would have gotten convicted. Shoot you can get charged with manslaughter if you kill someone in an auto accident.

dead on 97 and that is why the press invading and fanning flames sometimes forces people, ie prosecutors, governors, mayors, to do things they should not. everyone wants "their" justice not plain justice and when the press just exacerbates an already emotional situation, you get the treyvon martin case. they need to report from a distance, not become part of the story and certainly not attempt to guide the story to what they think should happen. they assume what happened and try and lead the story to that conclusion, that is not journalism, that is activism.

This story is picking up steam.

http://www.nj.com/essex/index.ssf/2014/09/radio_host_livingston_teens_murder_evidence_that_domestic_terrorism_is_already_here.html

Looks like he would agree:

"All these lives are taken every single day by America, by this government. So a life for a life," Brown said, according to the documents.

would say BS, this guy is nothing more than a street punk who now attempts to rationalize his actions with some bigger, moral, actions. not buying it....

This post was edited on 9/15 7:43 PM by WebSpinner

would say BS, this guy is nothing more than a street punk who now attempts to rationalize his actions with some bigger, morale, actions. not buying it....
Agreed. This is not some Al Queda sleeper cell, street punks are too kind. Just a cold blooded murderer.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT