ADVERTISEMENT

Mission Statement

I doubt Murray and Jokic needed a company mission statement to help them win the title last night. You obviously think they did. I guess in your world, the team who has the best mayission statement wins. Laughable.
You completely miss the point. Their bosses followed the mission statement that put Murray and Jokic in place to win the title.

ok, we'll just agree to disagree. I don't think any coach needs a defined mission statement to help him realize we want to win chanpionships, or to him him analyze positions of need.
It's not the mission statement. It's the accountability to the stated goals of the mission statement and the measurement of success or failure. If you're successful you're rewarded if not you're replaced. If you're Richmond Athletics you apparently have a very relaxed definition of success and the measurement thereof.

You completely miss the point. Their bosses followed the mission statement that put Murray and Jokic in place to win the title.
You really think this? So, none of the other teams followed their mission statements as well as Denver?

Mission statements speak to culture, accountability, and everyone with the organization being not only on the same page but rowing in concert to achieve the stated mission.

The Nuggets have a great culture and brought in players, coaches, and administrators who all were reflective of that. Does that guarantee them a championship, of course not. But I would say they had a much greater chance than says teams like the Nets, who brought in a series of me first players, or an organization like the Wizards, who seemingly have no corporate culture, that would attract championship caliber players or coaches.

Interesting the Heat who despite having inferior talent than many of the teams they beat are constantly lauded for their culture, created by Riley and Spoelstra. You think the Heat don't have a written down mission that is very purposely and strategically infused through that entire organization.

Both of those franchises embody program that have strong missions with very specific and detailed plans to carry them out. That is why they are successful, doesn't guarantee championships, but certainly puts them at a competitive advantage to being one of the top teams.. Less successful NBA franchises, assuredly also have strong mission statements, but are they more just words on paper.

Speaking of words on paper: "while providing focused, structured support to compete and win conference championships and to achieve national recognition". That is what this is. If it were different, we wouldn't have kept a baseball coach for 10 years with no NCAA bids or a women's basketball coach (Shrader) for as long as we did with no postseason. We wouldn't just let those contracts expire, that would be a fireable offense at a school with a mission focused on winning, here it is not a fireable offense. You draw your own conclusions as to what that says about our commitment to winning.

Are you really that clueless or just pretending to be?
Did they have the same mission statement in 2022, when they flamed out in the first round?

The franchise has existed for more than 50 years, it started with the ABA. It's their first championship. Do you really think a mission statement had anything to do with it?

Reactions: VT4700
Did they have the same mission statement in 2022, when they flamed out in the first round?

The franchise has existed for more than 50 years, it started with the ABA. It's their first championship. Do you really think a mission statement had anything to do with it?
Don't have a clue. Merely participating in a conversation around the attributes of Mission Statements, accountability and measurements found in American business. Could be blind luck or fruition of a great plan backed by a mission statement. I'm not on the inside so I don't know. I just believe it's best to plan your work and work your plan. It allowed me to retire at 55 so I do have some first hand experience.

Don't have a clue. Merely participating in a conversation around the attributes of Mission Statements, accountability and measurements found in American business. Could be blind luck or fruition of a great plan backed by a mission statement. I'm not on the inside so I don't know. I just believe it's best to plan your work and work your plan. It allowed me to retire at 55 so I do have some first hand experience.
I guess they are important, if carried out. Often they are just a plate of meaningless word salad.

" providing focused, structured support to compete and win conference championships and to achieve national recognition" seems just fine.

30 NBA team have the same mission statement ... to win championships.

the Nuggets won because they found the eventual best player in the world in the 2nd round 8 years ago and developed him, built around him, and play through him.

Cleveland didn't write a stronger mission statement to make the finals 4 years in a row. Lebron came home.

I'm sure Chicago's mission statement didn't change before and after Jordan. they were the best run organization in the world ... with Michael there. then suddenly they're not.

I don't value mission statements. some of you clearly do. whampas, I assume your personal successes go a lot deeper than a well written mission statement. I'm all for goals, targets, accountability, etc. those are all targeted and individual. mission statements are broad and meaningless, imo. everyone wants to be great. how are you going to achieve it?

I guess they are important, if carried out. Often they are just a plate of meaningless word salad.

" providing focused, structured support to compete and win conference championships and to achieve national recognition" seems just fine.
Yes, the words are fine. The question is whether we are actually living up to those words, holding people accountable to those words, making sure we accomplish those words.

30 NBA team have the same mission statement ... to win championships.

the Nuggets won because they found the eventual best player in the world in the 2nd round 8 years ago and developed him, built around him, and play through him.

Cleveland didn't write a stronger mission statement to make the finals 4 years in a row. Lebron came home.

I'm sure Chicago's mission statement didn't change before and after Jordan. they were the best run organization in the world ... with Michael there. then suddenly they're not.

I don't value mission statements. some of you clearly do. whampas, I assume your personal successes go a lot deeper than a well written mission statement. I'm all for goals, targets, accountability, etc. those are all targeted and individual. mission statements are broad and meaningless, imo. everyone wants to be great. how are you going to achieve it?
Of course the mission statement by itself doesn't guarantee anything. The point is that if you have never verbalized what it is that you want to achieve, you are very unlikely to achieve it. Which worker do you think will get more done – the one whose boss says "I expect you to process 400 invoices every day, and here's the blueprint for how to do that" or the one whose boss says "Hey Charlie, come into work whenever you feel like it and leave whenever you feel like it. Hope you get some work done in between!"?

I think we agree pretty much every company and university will have some kind of mission statement. What is funny is some people on here have a problem with ours. Not anyone else's of course, just ours. Even though ours is similar to pretty much all the others out there. But, the fact that it has our name on it means many on this message board now have to criticize it.

Like Sman said, first the issue was we didn't even have one ( we did and do), next it was, well it doesn't say anything about championships (it does), and, now because some on here HAVE to keep finding something to complain about, the issue is where some wording was. Unbelievable.

Yes, most mission statements are very broad. I don't think that makes them meaningless. They are meaningless if you just put them on paper and don't do anything more. Most mission statements are backed up with very tangible strategic plans with specific goals and objectives to accomplish what is set out in the mission. I'm quite confident we have one of those too in our athletic department.

I am simply opining that we don't place enough emphasis on the competing for championships as we need to. To me if we did, we would see coaches who aren't regularly competing for championships fired, which we don't. Chris would have been left go before we got to 11 years between NCAA bids.

I think we agree pretty much every company and university will have some kind of mission statement. What is funny is some people on here have a problem with ours. Not anyone else's of course, just ours. Even though ours is similar to pretty much all the others out there. But, the fact that it has our name on it means many on this message board now have to criticize it.

Like Sman said, first the issue was we didn't even have one ( we did and do), next it was, well it doesn't say anything about championships (it does), and, now because some on here HAVE to keep finding something to complain about, the issue is where some wording was. Unbelievable.
No one is complaining about the wording of the mission statement. We are simply stating we are not living up to the ideals set forth in the entire mission statement, most notably the competing for championships portion of it.

Reactions: urfan1
Of course the mission statement by itself doesn't guarantee anything. The point is that if you have never verbalized what it is that you want to achieve, you are very unlikely to achieve it. Which worker do you think will get more done – the one whose boss says "I expect you to process 400 invoices every day, and here's the blueprint for how to do that" or the one whose boss says "Hey Charlie, come into work whenever you feel like it and leave whenever you feel like it. Hope you get some work done in between!"?
I'm all for individual goals and attainable targets. it's the broad mission statements that I feel have no meaning. every company has them. they're unmeasurable.

the constant complaint here has been that our goal is simple "to compete". that we never state that we want to win championships. yet it's literally in the mission statement that many complained we didn't have.

and yet the fact that it's in the mission statement doesn't excite me. like I said, I feel a mission statement is meaningless. and I don't get excited about a rah-rah speech from a new coach or AD talking about championships. talk is cheap. do it.

Last edited:
Reactions: VT4700
I'm all for individual goals and attainable targets. it's the broad mission statements that I feel have no meaning. every company has them. they're unmeasurable.

the constant complaint here has been that our goal is simple "to compete". that we never state that we want to win championships. yet it's literally in the mission statement that many complained we didn't have.

and yet the fact that it's in the mission statement doesn't excite me. like I said, I feel a mission statement is meaningless. and I don't get excited about a rah-rah speach from a new coach or AD talking about championships. talk is cheap. do it.
Almost all mission statements are broad northstar visionary type things. Then you work backwards from there. For example:

Mission statement
XYZ University aspires to win a national championship in men's basketball within the next 10 years.

Measurable items
XYZ will lead the ABC Conference in head coach's salary within two years.
XYZ will build a new practice facility within 5 years.
XYZ will win at least three conference regular or tournament championships in the next 10 years.
XYZ will advance to at least 5 NCAA tournaments in the next 10 years.

Action items
XYZ will raise $30 million within 3 years to fund a new practice facility.
XYZ will raise $10 million within 3 years to help fund a head coach's salary.
XYZ will sign at least 2 of the top-10 recruits in the state each year, beginning in 2025.
XYZ will schedule at least 3 annual road games with ACC, Big East and Big Ten teams by 2026.

Doing all that doesn't guarantee a national championship, but if everyone agrees that the goal is a realistic one and then manages the process correctly, XYZ will have put itself in the best possible position to succeed – and at the end of the 10-year period it can determine how it fared.

Your example isn't a good one, as your mission statement is a defined goal.

Most mission statements are so broad that you can't even quantifiably assess whether you're achieving them, so what's the point? Many strategic plans are the same way.

Are our student-athletes inspired to thrive? Are they representing the university with integrity? Do they have lifelong pride in the university? It's all fluff where you can pay a research group to run a survey however you want to get a "yes, we're doing great" answer.

Just lay out the concrete measurables from easily achievable to reasonable to aspirational. Then you can actually tell where you're at.

My example is more specific than most mission statements, but I was trying to show the general progression of thought that businesses go through in these exercises. I get that grandiose laanguage that means nothing doesn't accomplish anything, but these types of processes are actually critical.

Reactions: whampas
I’d love to hear Enron’s mission statement

Company Perspectives:​

Enron's mission is "to become the most innovative integrated natural gas company in North America. After recognizing early on that the natural gas pipeline business was the backbone of the corporation, we concentrated on growing our existing businesses--our exploration and production, gas liquids and cogeneration operations--which best complemented and are complemented by our pipeline activities."

Read more: https://www.referenceforbusiness.com/history2/51/Enron-Corporation.html#ixzz84YEhC9wo

Reactions: plydogg
No one is complaining about the wording of the mission statement. We are simply stating we are not living up to the ideals set forth in the entire mission statement, most notably the competing for championships portion of it.
No one is complaining about the wording? LOL. See post #8. You did exactly that. I think you complain so much in every thread you forget what you complain about.

ok, we'll just agree to disagree. I don't think any coach needs a defined mission statement to help him realize we want to win chanpionships, or to him him analyze positions of need.
How‘s our coach doing over the last two decades? Two out of nineteen ain’t bad boys! Zero out of nineteen conference regular season champs. Oh yeah, we be doing right huh vt troll. Pathetic true fan, disgusting, vile

Reactions: 8legs1dream
Clearly you were never a business schooler. EL outlines clearly how all public and most private companies are run today.

Yeah, mission statements and internal goals are just words....until the entire organizations buys into them, then magic can happen. Management has to drive the message.. Sadly, I'm not seeing this in UR athletics.

Seems to be a heavy emphasis on really living first 3/4 of that mission statement, while the last sentence seems like a nice to have. That is not really how mission statements are supposed to work, every aspect of the mission statement should have the same weight.
4700, this is what I said in the post you referenced. Again, I was not complaining about the "wording" of the mission statement but rather our efforts in effectively carrying it out.

Found this on AD website:

MISSION STATEMENT The University of Richmond’s NCAA Division I Intercollegiate Athletics Program collaborates with the University community to educate, inspire, and help student-athletes to thrive, achieving their academic, athletic, and personal aspirations, while emphasizing equity and inclusion; to represent the University with integrity; and to foster lifelong pride in the institution while providing focused, structured support to compete and win conference championships and to achieve national recognition.
This program will fall down to the ground due to Mooney not being a good and our terrible athletic department not firing him for some reason

my company's mission statement is basically "to use our talents to help our clients make informed decisions". wow. our vision statement is "to be the best at what we do".

Apple's mission statement is “to bring the best user experience to customers through innovative hardware, software, and services.” Apple's vision statement is “to make the best products on earth and to leave the world better than we found it.”

Google's mission is to organize the world's information and make it universally accessible and useful.

Amazon's mission is "to be Earth's most customer-centric company”.

none of them are successful because of a mission statement. every crappy company has one too. because a business school told them they have to have a mission statement.

it's just words.
Meh, not that I’m overly invested in what our mission statement says, but you are undervaluing the benefit of a well drafted mission statement.

Numerous studies show that the companies that stand the test of time owe that in no small part to a clear vision of who they are that manifests itself in how they innovate and operate.

So it’s not “just words”.

I could give an eff about a mission statement someone had to search to find.

I want a basketball HC that exudes confidence, speaks and engages with media, has a vision that can be carried out. Has a culture that translates to winning. Adapts to to change and can put together a complete roster most if not every season.
Guys, Mooney is on his way out, no question. There is no chance in hell he can handle the revolving door of players year to year.

Guys, Mooney is on his way out, no question. There is no chance in hell he can handle the revolving door of players year to year.
Believe there is much truth here.

There is nothing in Coach's nature, history or modus operandi that gives confidence for success in the portal era. He has had marginal success, at best, in developing teams over multiple years. This approach is now a dinosaur. He is not adaptive by nature.

Mark Schmidt came in with a pick up team and beat us twice last year. Expect Odom will do the same next year. This requires skills that Coach does not possess. Don't see how his approach is viable long term in a portal environment.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT