ADVERTISEMENT

Trey Davis

TBSpyder

Graduate Assistant
Sep 24, 2011
Interesting article

http://www.richmond.com/sports/article_59bade1a-95e8-5540-a1a2-a366d27384d9.html

Looking forward to seeing the first fifth year player to play significant minutes in the CM era. It appears that Trey will start as a guard, as many of us expected. It appears that the freshmen will be brought along as the season progresses. Trey is one of the most versatile players on the court. They do anticipate that teams will begin the year by pressing us. We may need one of the better ball handling forwards, to come back and help out. They did mention Josh, but said he was still on suspension, as we already knew. But, that sounds as if, he may return to team, I'm sure he is missing JMU game, though.

Thought we should have at least a thread or two on players who have chosen to play for UR this year.

Interesting article

http://www.richmond.com/sports/article_59bade1a-95e8-5540-a1a2-a366d27384d9.html

Looking forward to seeing the first fifth year player to play significant minutes in the CM era. It appears that Trey will start as a guard, as many of us expected. It appears that the freshmen will be brought along as the season progresses. Trey is one of the most versatile players on the court. They do anticipate that teams will begin the year by pressing us. We may need one of the better ball handling forwards, to come back and help out. They did mention Josh, but said he was still on suspension, as we already knew. But, that sounds as if, he may return to team, I'm sure he is missing JMU game, though.

Thought we should have at least a thread or two on players who have chosen to play for UR this year.

I like Trey, he is a great defender and I think some of the new rule changes will help him out on offense. If he improves his free throw shooting from last year he will be a good offensive presence. The article speculates he will start at guard, but it is just speculation. I would love to see him start at the 3 where he spent more than half of his playing time last year, and have one of the freshmen starting at the 2.

My bet we are gonna see experience trump everything else. Shawndre, Davis, Taylor, Cline, Allen starting.

Maybe over time if Wood steps up he can overtake Taylor and one of the frosh will earn more minutes at guard.

Should be interesting to see how it evolves.

Love the way Trey competes the entire time he is on the court. He's also very good at slashing and scoring around the basket. Where's he run into trouble is jump-shooting. If he just focuses on what he does best, I think he can be a real asset for us this year. And every now and then he can drop a three ball. Seemed like he shot a higher percentage there than from the FT line last year.

I am not giving up on DT. He is going to prove a lot of us wrong this season. I truly believe that it has taken a full year for him to get over his injury. Go DT!!!

Reactions: MooreHall73
Trey is one of the better guys on the team when it comes to driving to the basket. I hope he focuses on that. As for Deion, he had some success freshman year, hopefully he recaptures a bit of that game to go along with his defensive contributions.

Trey has been a model student athlete by all accounts. I really do like his defense. He will play heavy minutes based on this skill. Hopefully he can shut down the oppositions scoring threat at the 2 or 3 depending on the match up. As has been noted, he is also strong and stands up well against the lambs press. Trey averaged 30 minutes per game last year. If a legit scoring threat emerges between Josh, Julius, and Jesse - and that player can play good defense, I could see cutting into those minutes a little, but Trey will still play a lot and contribute a lot. Would love to see him go out with an NCAA tourney run.

I have often said that Trey is the "anti Darien Brothers". Brothers could shoot that lights out from anywhere outside and was a fantastic FT shooter. However, Brothers was really quite poor slashing and driving to the basket. He didn't have great body control and usually the best outcome from a Brothers drive was to hope he got fouled because he would make his FT's.

Trey on the other hand is a poor FT shooter and shooter in general, but he is one of the best at finishing fast breaks and slashing to the basket, primarily because he has good court awareness and body control when doing so.

Let's not forget that Brother's defensive abilities were nothing to write home about, either,

It's just been a shame that Davis has been such a liability at the end of the game because he is unable to make 50% of his free throws. We can always hope that will change, but he's had 4 years to improve and if anything he's gotten worse.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT