ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Portal

We've also reached out to 6’8 Stephen Clark, a grad transfer from The Citadel. Averaged 16.3 points on 49% FG, 6.5 rebounds, and 2.8 assists this season, was named to All-SoCon 2nd team. I was going to post that he looked like a good fit earlier when I saw he entered, but I guess our staff had the same idea!

Looks like we're going all in on re-uniting old teammates and prioritizing versatile bigs early on in the portal window. This seems like one we might be in on pretty heavily.

We're just recruiting guys from teams where our last transfers came from? Who are we going after from Lafayette??

We're just recruiting guys from teams where our last transfers came from? Who are we going after from Lafayette??
This was my observation too. It’s sort of like we want to stay very close to the shallow end of the pool and not venture too far out.

Reactions: SpiderK
This was my observation too. It’s sort of like we want to stay very close to the shallow end of the pool and not venture too far out.
Our season isn’t even over and our coach is recovering from open heart surgery. It isn’t the craziest idea that we would check in with former teammates of 2 of our guys before we really go diving into the portal

Reactions: Section9.RowD
Lafayette’s still playing…long odds against Colgate tomorrow, but winner goes dancing.

But yes, agree with plydogg, I imagine these guys are low-hanging fruit as we’re still busy traveling, prepping, and playing. Inside track on assessing their fit and may even have known their transfer intentions ahead of time.

And it’s still super early. All the teams that have wrapped up their seasons are from lower-level conferences, and of course the best teams from those conferences aren’t done yet either.

there aren't many kids we'd want in the portal yet anyway.
gets crazy soon.

Have we EVER taken a transfer-down guy under Mooney? I can't think of any. He only goes after guys from lower levels who want to come up. Wouldn't kill us to try to get someone who got recruited over at a P5 school. You know, like every other team in our league does routinely.
I know- sucks

Have we EVER taken a transfer-down guy under Mooney? I can't think of any. He only goes after guys from lower levels who want to come up. Wouldn't kill us to try to get someone who got recruited over at a P5 school. You know, like every other team in our league does routinely.
Marshall Wood

Marshal wood

Reactions: nathanw19
Our season isn’t even over and our coach is recovering from open heart surgery. It isn’t the craziest idea that we would check in with former teammates of 2 of our guys before we really go diving into the portal
Sure, I get that. But it demonstrates a bit of an unwillingness to look at the full horizon. I mean, we’re just showing interest right?

Will be interesting. As someone said above, we can really really use a guard that can create own shot. In the mode of Gonzo, Francis, KA, SDJ. Hoping that Nelson and Smith are that guy. But not super confident they are that next year. We will see if Mooney is content to roll that out and hope.
I don’t think Nelson is very good at creating shots, due to fact he does not shoot well.

Might be wise to tamp down expectations. Portal is a must at both guard & forward, BUT... what top player wants to be a part of an obvious train wreck?

Additionally, Mooney isn't good at assessing talent, NOR understanding which player combinations will be most effective. This directly conflicts with using the portal effectively. Portal player coaching skill is NOT up Mooney's alley. He proved it this season beyond any doubt, he just can't figure it out.

Seems that the state of the program is in as bad a shape as it was in year one under Mooney. It is going to be rough next year.

Might be wise to tamp down expectations. Portal is a must at both guard & forward, BUT... what top player wants to be a part of an obvious train wreck?

Additionally, Mooney isn't good at assessing talent, NOR understanding which player combinations will be most effective. This directly conflicts with using the portal effectively. Portal player coaching skill is NOT up Mooney's alley. He proved it this season beyond any doubt, he just can't figure it out.

Seems that the state of the program is in as bad a shape as it was in year one under Mooney. It is going to be rough next year.
Really rough next year.

Amazingly, for the second time under this coach, we have completely blown whatever chance we had to take advantage of winning the conference and winning an NCAA game. We are again immediately back to a place worse than mediocrity and have handed back the momentum we had gained. A complete failure.

Amazingly, for the second time under this coach, we have completely blown whatever chance we had to take advantage of winning the conference and winning an NCAA game. We are again immediately back to a place worse than mediocrity and have handed back the momentum we had gained. A complete failure.

5 more years of this and maybe the coach's seat warms up a few degrees. Until then we get to think back fondly on those ten days that we weren't completely pathetic and enjoy our biyearly ass-kicking from VCU and first round A10 playoff appearances.

Reactions: SpiderK
5 more years of this and maybe the coach's seat warms up a few degrees. Until then we get to think back fondly on those ten days that we weren't completely pathetic and enjoy our biyearly ass-kicking from VCU and first round A10 playoff appearances.
I think that Mooney's tenure will end in 4-years (or however much he has left on his extended contract).

Reasons for this prediction are as follows:
1) Mooney is not going to be fired no matter how bad he is. He will leave either when he decides, or when his contract expires
2) Performance of this year's squad was well below standard. Not a good look
3) Performance of next year's team is likely to be worse than this year. An even worse look, & 2-years in a row
4) Currently no players on roster who project as saviors (Anderson, Cline, Gilyard, Golden, types). This means barring SUBSTANTIAL recruiting and/or portal success, year 3 is likely to also be below standard
5) Three years in a row of substandard performance will have we savages in a progressively worse frenzy, & put a little heat in the coaching seat
6) If history is an accurate barometer, Mooney needs 4-5 year players in order to have ANY chance of success. The landscape of college basketball is changing. Long-term senior leaders aren't on the roster at this moment
7) Mooney is not good at assessing talent, OR being able to put together successful player combinations. This DIRECTLY conflicts with portal success, which means that the likelihood of using the portal to cure his coaching ills is low

Bottom line, I see the next 4-years as a serious struggle for basketball respectability. Four below average to mediocre campaigns in a row SHOULD be enough to prevent another contract extension.

Mooney can proclaim that he wants to travel and spend more time with his family. UR can throw a huge celebratory party for Mooney, name something after him, and brag that he is the winningest coach in school history. Everybody is happy, and there is no loss of face.

7) Mooney is not good at assessing talent, OR being able to put together successful player combinations. This DIRECTLY conflicts with portal success, which means that the likelihood of using the portal to cure his coaching ills is low
I said before the season this was a big litmus test in my book. As noted, the landscape changed. I know the pro Mooney crowd is going to say we did not have talent this year. But 80's fan was posting portal player rankings and our transfers graded out pretty good. You had one of the most talented (Mooney unabashedly calls him the best small forward he has coached in Burton) players in the league, no question. You had pieces to be a top 4-5 team in the league easily. I was optimistic that he had magically turned the corner. But it did not work. We had some positive glimpses, but really all the players regressed as the year wore on. Heck, Jaynel had some GREAT games early (think he may have been ROW once?), and ended up a shell of himself as a player.
I thought this season was a chance to show evolution and adaptability, but it did not happen, and actually went worse than my lowest expectations. It seemed he had ceded some ownership of the defense to Boyden, and thought that was a positive move - that yielded early results. But the offense was just awful. Watching Colgate last night, just really really opened my eyes. They don't move the ball to kill clock, they move it quick - are shot ready - something we seem to never be (other than Roche), and attack as soon as they have an advantage. They don't run a freaking weave and then have 40% of their possessions end up forcing something b/c no clock left.

I think that Mooney's tenure will end in 4-years (or however much he has left on his extended contract).

1) Mooney is not going to be fired no matter how bad he is. He will leave either when he decides, or when his contract expires
3) Performance of next year's team is likely to be worse than this year. An even worse look, & 2-years in a row
4) Currently no players on roster who project as saviors (Anderson, Cline, Gilyard, Golden, types). This means barring SUBSTANTIAL recruiting and/or portal success, year 3 is likely to also be below standard
5) Three years in a row of substandard performance will have we savages in a progressively worse frenzy, & put a little heat in the coaching seat
6) If history is an accurate barometer, Mooney needs 4-5 year players in order to have ANY chance of success. The landscape of college basketball is changing. Long-term senior leaders aren't on the roster at this moment

Bottom line, I see the next 4-years as a serious struggle for basketball respectability. Four below average to mediocre campaigns in a row SHOULD be enough to prevent another contract extension.

Mooney can proclaim that he wants to travel and spend more time with his family. UR can throw a huge celebratory party for Mooney, name something after him, and brag that he is the winningest coach in school history. Everybody is happy, and there is no loss of face.
This makes total sense. Therefore, it won’t happen.

The best we can hope for is that Hardt and Mooney leave together, sooner rather than later, and that miraculously we hire an AD who actually cares about winning. Then our trajectory may change.

Mooney Law School perhaps? :)

We're being pretty active very early on in the portal cycle. Something tells me there might be a bit more roster change than we originally thought this offseason.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT