ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Portal

He's supporting all (or at least many) sports...he's got over 100 Miami athletes signed up with a first-year budget of at least $10 million. He's also spearheading an effort for a new football stadium.

Right, my point is why is he taking it out on the school? The school can't set up an NIL deal for him – his agent can. If he wants to be mad at someone, he should be mad at his agent.
he feels the market changed and he wants to capitalize ... even though he signed a contract already.
Ruiz alread said he won't renegotiate. I think Ruiz didn't think it through and see that the bigger deal he just gave out could have consequenses.

VCU picks up a three-point shooter. Played three years at D-II Alderson Broaddus, transferred up to Hartford for his senior year, now grad transferring to VCU.

VCU picks up a three-point shooter. Played three years at D-II Alderson Broaddus, transferred up to Hartford for his senior year, now grad transferring to VCU.

Looks very similar to Roche to me.

Roche is clearly better than this stiff. He was only the fourth leading scorer on HARTFORD. This is a classic Brunt recruit. Just glad he's signing them for VCU now and not us.
But VCU shows A photo of the top 5 three point shooters in portal and he is #2.
They completely ignore that Roche was #3 and that we got him.

Reactions: UR80sfan
Ones a sophomore that will have for 3 years of eligibility while another is a former D2 player that played at an awful program (Isn't Hartford dropping to D3?) and has one year left. Fills a need, could be a solid pickup for them, but I'm more happy with our signing both short term and long.

Last edited:
Ones a sophomore that will have for 3 years while another is a former D2 player that played at an awful program (Isn't Hartford dropping to D3?) and has one year left. Fills a need, could be a solid pickup for them, but I'm more happy with our signing both short term and long.

they are dropping to d3 no later than 2025.

they are dropping to d3 no later than 2025.
That's when the transition will be completed, but the changes start happening next year. They will remain Division I and in America East for next year, but no new scholarships are being given.

I could see Osunniyi being a key defensive piece with his shot blocking ability, but not sure about his offense in a major conference though. He would be facing some stud bigs every game. Lofton is a good player, but he never shot the 3 well, and his assist to turnover ratio has never been great. Compare with Jacob: Last year, Lofton averaged 5.9 assists and 2.6 turnovers a game for a 2.26 ratio while Jacob averaged 5.4 and 1.6, for a 3.37 ratio. I just don't think either one of these guys would be all that for Florida. If they are okay with that, fine, but they would be going from being the guys for St Bona to who knows what at Florida. They would bring a lot of experience, and are talented players, but I can't see Florida being relevant in the SEC if these 2 guys are major pieces.

Last edited:
I could see Osunniyi being a key defensive piece with his shot blocking ability, but not sure about his offense in a major conference though. He would be facing some stud bigs every game. Lofton is a good player, but he never shot the 3 well, and his assist to turnover ratio has never been great. Compare with Jacob: Last year, Lofton averaged 5.9 assists and 2.6 turnovers a game for a 2.26 ratio while Jacob averaged 5.4 and 1.6, for a 3.37 ratio. I just don't think either one of these guys would be all that for Florida. If they are okay with that, fine, but they would be going from being the guys for St Bona to who knows what at Florida. They would bring a lot of experience, and are talented players, but I can't see Florida being relevant in the SEC if these 2 guys are major pieces.
I'd take Lofton and Osyunniyi as a tandem any day on pretty much any program. They both are really really good. If they can take St. Bonnie to the dance, pretty sure Florida with a better surrounding cast surrounding them will be just fine.

He's not being paid for his N, his I, or his L. He's just getting a paycheck from a rich booster. It's naive to think otherwise.
fair enough. but that's how this works. it's just a way to pay college athletes without the school writing the check. you didn't think this was about local businesses tapping into some high marketing demand for college athletes did you?

fair enough. but that's how this works. it's just a way to pay college athletes without the school writing the check. you didn't think this was about local businesses tapping into some high marketing demand for college athletes did you?
That's the problem, though -- it was never promoted or intended as a way for rich boosters to buy the best players. Miami broke down the doors and now all hell is breaking loose.

Miami didn't break down any doors. This is always how this would be and has been right from the start of NIL. It was always going to be this way. The market value was uncertain, but thats it. This is what was known would happen.

Here is how it will work going forward - - - boosters will tell coaches how much they are willing to pay in total. Coaches will be able to tell players how much they can get from their school. Coaches will match their recruited kids to their committed boosters with instructions to booster how much of said booster's cash will go to each recruit etc. This is how it was done in the old days (and still was in a lot of places) and now its back, but out in the open!

Don't kid yourselves about schools not being involved. Coaches will know what they can tell a kid he can get if he comes to his university and he will deliver whatever it is he promised! Kids will learn another lesson too - - if they don't perform, the money will be gone. In the old days, you couldn't stop paying a kid for fear he'd out you for paying him in the first place! Now kids can ask for more etc. and they can also be cut off at will (or at least per contract) too.

Also going to be interesting to see how deal terms shake out regarding transfers - - - i think you will start to see NIL deals structured to make sure kids who transfer don't get all they were "supposed to" etc. That is, kids will get paid x dollars for doing whatever it is he is supposed to do (appearance etc.) but we will start to see 2nd conditions. So for example, you must do 10 appearances as a freshman and still be on the roster as a sophomore to receive 100K. 100k payable as upon completion of all conditions with 5000 interest free loan available against each appearance as it occurs. That way the kid gets 50K during the year, but then walks away from other 50 if he leaves. Boosters are going to be very protective of their money going where they want it to!

Plus, The business folks are going to redefine the whole marketplace and the kids will be behind for awhile. Not that we should shed any tears; they won a big battle and rightfully so, and they are way ahead of where they were, but the next phase will be to make sure the power returns to the schools (i.e. coaches) and the boosters and away from the players, who for a moment have a ton of power!

Last edited:
Reactions: Zeeter
Miami didn't break down any doors. This is always how this would be and has been right from the start of NIL. It was always going to be this way. The market value was uncertain, but thats it. This is what was known would happen.

Here is how it will work going forward - - - boosters will tell coaches how much they are willing to pay in total. Coaches will be able to tell players how much they can get from their school. Coaches will match their recruited kids to their committed boosters with instructions to booster how much of said booster's cash will go to each recruit etc. This is how it was done in the old days (and still was in a lot of places) and now its back, but out in the open!

Don't kid yourselves about schools not being involved. Coaches will know what they can tell a kid he can get if he comes to his university and he will deliver whatever it is he promised! Kids will learn another lesson too - - if they don't perform, the money will be gone. In the old days, you couldn't stop paying a kid for fear he'd out you for paying him in the first place! Now kids can ask for more etc. and they can also be cut off at will (or at least per contract) too.

Also going to be interesting to see how deal terms shake out regarding transfers - - - i think you will start to see NIL deals structured to make sure kids who transfer don't get all they were "supposed to" etc. That is, kids will get paid x dollars for doing whatever it is he is supposed to do (appearance etc.) but we will start to see 2nd conditions. So for example, you must do 10 appearances as a freshman and still be on the roster as a sophomore to receive 100K. 100k payable as upon completion of all conditions with 5000 interest free loan available against each appearance as it occurs. That way the kid gets 50K during the year, but then walks away from other 50 if he leaves. Boosters are going to be very protective of their money going where they want it to!

Plus, The business folks are going to redefine the whole marketplace and the kids will be behind for awhile. Not that we should shed any tears; they won a big battle and rightfully so, and they are way ahead of where they were, but the next phase will be to make sure the power returns to the schools (i.e. coaches) and the boosters and away from the players, who for a moment have a ton of power!
Sounds like Will Wade was ahead of his time.

Reactions: 97spiderfan
Sounds like Will Wade was ahead of his time.
Right, were basically now legalizing what Will Wade did under the table. I think the FBI investigated Will Wade for this, but hey yeah, lets let really rich guys throw money at 17 year olds and see how that works out. I'm sure it will be splendid for all parties.

Reactions: SpiderK and urfan1
I know this is the portal thread, but...
I am curious what a list of our transfers in (including this year) would look like if sorted by their total D-1 points in the season before coming here.

I am trying to remember if any transferred down and how much prior scoring correlated to success (whether causation or not...)

Here's what I've got under Mooney based on a quick survey...

Francis (Wagner): 515
Quinn (Lafayette): 427
Roche (Citadel): 355
Cline (Niagara): 262
Bigelow (Wofford): 243
Crabtree (Tulane): 212
Yates (Yale): 157
Madrid-Andrews (Chicago State): 110
Wood (Virginia Tech): 104
Abakah (Northeastern): 49

Thanks, so if the 3 this year have as much success as the past 2 in the top 5 that should be ok.

Very interesting, this metric does seem to roughly correlate with performance at Richmond.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT