ADVERTISEMENT

Top 10 Playoff Show ESPNU 10pm ET tonite 11.15.16

Here's what has me concerned about the seedings...

NDSU is now #1. You know the committee is DYING to save the NCAA money and have either North Dakota or South Dakota State bus to Fargo for the Quarterfinals. They could easily put one of those teams in at #8 to accomplish this. No matter the result of the Sam Houston State / UCA game, we could get hosed on this deal.

Having South Dakota State lose at UNI this weekend might be more important than the Sam State v UCA outcome for us.

If UNI was better this year which would make a SDS victory more impressive, the above scenario would scare me. I think UNI will win that game anyway. Can't see North Dakota jumping us if we win. I can see UCA or SHSU falling out based on outcome of their game and North Dakota moving to #8 and UR to #7.

I guess this is better here than on the line thread.

What is the line for the SDSU at UNI? UNI by 7?
I feel the top 4 are heavy favorites this week and won't change.
The Citadel playing a top 25 FBS won't change with a loss.

That leaves 3 spots and 5 teams
North Dakota with a bye, so a win keeps us ahead of them.
With a win at UNI, South Dakota ST likely passes UND, but could they pass us even if we win?

I am not as certain as some as to where Sam Houston would be ranked with a loss.
Above, below or amongst - UR, UND, SDSU - if none of those three lose?
That is why a Central Arkansas loss gives me a higher degree of comfort.

If UNI was better this year which would make a SDS victory more impressive, the above scenario would scare me. I think UNI will win that game anyway. Can't see North Dakota jumping us if we win. I can see UCA or SHSU falling out based on outcome of their game and North Dakota moving to #8 and UR to #7.
You never know what the committee will do. UNI is #10 in Massey & #3 in Sagarin (even at 5-5)...

I would hate to see...
7 SHSU (loss)
8 SDSU (win)
9 UR (win)
10 UND

So still rooting for UR, SHSU, UNI...

You never know what the committee will do. UNI is #10 in Massey & #3 in Sagarin (even at 5-5)...

I would hate to see...
7 SHSU (loss)
8 SDSU (win)
9 UR (win)
10 UND

So still rooting for UR, SHSU, UNI...

That just tells you that Massey and Sagarin, in a vacuum, are a joke.
MVFC has a much tougher SOS than the CAA. That's a fact. But you can only play the games on your schedule. Did our "weak" OOC games last year prevent us from beating an Illinois State team that Massey and Sagarin said should blow our doors off? Did it prevent Towson from making the title game 3 years ago? Sam Houston gets "demoted" the past few years for weak SOS and repeatedly bust everyone's bracket.

Let's take a breath. Since the playoffs expanded, the seeds have always gone to the 8 teams with the fewest losses (unless from a non-power conference). Last year we were the only 3-loss team to get a seed, and all of the 2-loss or fewer power teams got a seed. They just ran out at 7. Even the Big Sky runner up got a seed over the Big Sky champion - they were 9-2 while the champ was 8-3. The prior years follow the same pattern.
The scary thing this year is that there can be 7 1-loss teams, so we have to beat out the other 2-loss teams. Until now, we have been ahead of UND in every poll. I don't see how they leap-frog us on a bye.

Some rankings are farcical. Obviously, W-L records trumps all in some cases.

SHSU is 10-0, but has not yet played a Top FCS 25 team, did not play a FBS team, and has SOS of 78.

Spiders are 8-2, are 3-1 versus Top 25 FCS teams, 1-0 versus FBS teams, and has SOS of 42.

Can someone explain to me why they are ranked ahead of us and several other teams?

I think it's hard to project logic on a committee that has shown no logic to date.

SDSU is a 3.5 point dog at UNI. UNI is WAY higher than The Indians in the computers, whether the computers make sense or not.

I know these seeds supposedly have nothing to do with the bid, but I'd be worried about our exposure against these other schools in that regard too, given our athletic leadership.

I think it's hard to project logic on a committee that has shown no logic to date.

SDSU is a 3.5 point dog at UNI. UNI is WAY higher than The Indians in the computers, whether the computers make sense or not.

I know these seeds supposedly have nothing to do with the bid, but I'd be worried about our exposure against these other schools in that regard too, given our athletic leadership.
this is why winning Saturday is so important...at 9-2, 6-2 CAA it will be much more difficult for the Committee or the computers to screw us...

Coach Rocco seems to think we are comfortably in the Playoffs with eight wins...I'm not usually subject to paranoia, but 8-3, 5-3 CAA gives the Committee, computer, or whatever a chance to royally snub us...I never trust a Committee...doesn't this Committee have the New Hampshire AD as the CAA rep?...if we get into how many bids the CAA gets (3 or 4) we could get into a match with the Wildcats if they are 6-2 and we are 5-3...strange things could happen...

ironically when the Committee ignored us in 2012 our record was 8-3, 6-2 CAA...

just win Saturday!

Go Spiders!

this is why winning Saturday is so important...at 9-2, 6-2 CAA it will be much more difficult for the Committee or the computers to screw us...

Coach Rocco seems to think we are comfortably in the Playoffs with eight wins...I'm not usually subject to paranoia, but 8-3, 5-3 CAA gives the Committee, computer, or whatever a chance to royally snub us...I never trust a Committee...doesn't this Committee have the New Hampshire AD as the CAA rep?...if we get into how many bids the CAA gets (3 or 4) we could get into a match with the Wildcats if they are 6-2 and we are 5-3...strange things could happen...

ironically when the Committee ignored us in 2012 our record was 8-3, 6-2 CAA...

just win Saturday!

Go Spiders!

I understand your concern . Did we go 3-1 against FCS top 25 teams that year? I think we're in.

2012 was a weird year with four teams tied at 6-2 finishing behind an ineligible ODU team that handed out losses to everyone but Villanova. I think we were actually considered ahead of Villanova in the playoff pecking order, but they got the CAA autobid because they beat ODU and so we were left out.

Our resume was decent, with the only losses being to UVA, #4 ODU, and #12 UNH. We had a big win over #2 JMU and beat Villanova, which wasn't ranked at the time but later moved up. We also suffered from a weak schedule, having to play the bottom four CAA teams and bad Gardner-Webb and VMI teams in the OOC. Low expectations that year also hurt us, as we didn't even get into the polls until very late in the season. Think we were under-ranked by a few spots when it came time to make the playoff selections.

All that said, we're in no danger of being left out entirely this year obviously. Larger playoff field, top-10 ranking, FBS win. I hope we're in good shape for a seed provided we win this Saturday, but with the way these playoff rankings have jumped around, don't want to take anything for granted.

This committee over the years has proven itself largely incompetent, so nothing that happens will surprise me. I am not sure what to make of this public ranking this year – I hope it helps with accountability, but it wouldn't shock me if the final 8 looks a decent amount different than this week's 8, for reasons unknown.

Some rankings are farcical. Obviously, W-L records trumps all in some cases.

SHSU is 10-0, but has not yet played a Top FCS 25 team, did not play a FBS team, and has SOS of 78.

Spiders are 8-2, are 3-1 versus Top 25 FCS teams, 1-0 versus FBS teams, and has SOS of 42.

Can someone explain to me why they are ranked ahead of us and several other teams?

Because SOS shouldn't be given too much importance. You can only play the teams on your schedule, and shouldn't be punished if your opponents or conference have a down year.

I happen to think SHSU has been underrated over the years. SHSU has made it to the final four 3 out of the last 4 years, and has never been seeded! That tells me that once they have the opportunity to play top competition, they do just fine.

Because SOS shouldn't be given too much importance. You can only play the teams on your schedule, and shouldn't be punished if your opponents or conference have a down year.

I happen to think SHSU has been underrated over the years. SHSU has made it to the final four 3 out of the last 4 years, and has never been seeded! That tells me that once they have the opportunity to play top competition, they do just fine.

2011 to 2015 under the playoff section here.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_Houston_State_Bearkats_football

2011 & 2012 Loss to NDSU in Final
2013 loss by a point to SELA in 2nd round
2014 Loss to NDSU in Semi
2015 Loss to Jacksonville St in Semi

This is all true about Sam Houston State and their past performance. That said, the committee is supposed to look at the merits of the teams based on this year's performance. They have not played a team with a winning record this year!!

SHSU will not have this problem next year. :)

Re: This year; they can only play the teams on their schedule. An undefeated or 1-loss SHSU deserves a seed. They "performed" just fine. They're being punished for their conference. At some point you have to give a team the benefit of the doubt that they can hang with the big boys.

SHSU is not Hampton 2005.

Why doesn't SHSU have an FBS game this year...did somebody back out on them? Scheduling Oklahoma Panhandle State as half of the part of your schedule you can control ain't helping.

Yes, SHSU did have a FBS scheduled game canceled late (don't recall who) and subbed D II Panhandle State to open the season.

Yeah, found it. New Mexico pulled out on them four months before the game and they couldn't get an FBS replacement.

2012 was a weird year with four teams tied at 6-2 finishing behind an ineligible ODU team that handed out losses to everyone but Villanova. I think we were actually considered ahead of Villanova in the playoff pecking order, but they got the CAA autobid because they beat ODU and so we were left out.

Our resume was decent, with the only losses being to UVA, #4 ODU, and #12 UNH. We had a big win over #2 JMU and beat Villanova, which wasn't ranked at the time but later moved up. We also suffered from a weak schedule, having to play the bottom four CAA teams and bad Gardner-Webb and VMI teams in the OOC. Low expectations that year also hurt us, as we didn't even get into the polls until very late in the season. Think we were under-ranked by a few spots when it came time to make the playoff selections.

All that said, we're in no danger of being left out entirely this year obviously. Larger playoff field, top-10 ranking, FBS win. I hope we're in good shape for a seed provided we win this Saturday, but with the way these playoff rankings have jumped around, don't want to take anything for granted.

In 2012, we started slow, 4-3, and weren't ranked. We couldn't claw our way back up the ladder, and didn't get the 8th win until the last game of the season. The dynamics this year are completely different.

Aside from 2009 and 2016, when was the last time we had 8 wins prior to the last game of the season? Ever?

We did that in '98-'99, that year we entered the playoffs as the #3 seed and then lost to Lehigh at home in the first round. Ugh. Hated that game. Also did it two years later, the season when we lost at Montana in the playoffs.

PLayoff%20Info.jpg

Heading into the final regular season game vs. rival William & Mary on Saturday, November 19 at Noon, the Spiders are positioned well for their third consecutive NCAA FCS Playoffs appearance. The NCAA FCS selection show will air this Sunday, November 20th at 11 AM on ESPNU and we will find out where the Spiders will be placed in the playoff bracket. There are many playoff scenarios that are possible including a 1st round home playoff football game on November 26th, or a 1st round bye and hosting a 2nd round game at Robins Stadium on December 3rd. Game times will be determined at a later date.

Season Ticket Holder Information

Season ticket holders will have the opportunity to purchase the same seats they had during season. Tickets for all postseason games hosted by the Spiders are $30 for adults and $10 for youth ages 17 and under. Tickets will go on sale Monday, November 21st at 9 a.m., regardless of which date the Spiders will host a playoff game.

All season ticket holders will receive an email on Sunday, November 20th after the selection show with specific ticket and parking information. We are expecting a high volume of sales at the Robins Center Ticket Office, and phone lines will be busy. For the fastest service, please consider purchasing online. The email you receive on Sunday, November 20th will include your link to purchase online. Fans are also encouraged to select print-at-home or mobile delivery, rather than Will Call. Will Call lines will be busy on game day, so fans can save time by electing to print-at-home or receive tickets on your mobile device.

Parking Information

Season ticket holders who hold Spider Club parking permits should be receiving their “PS” parking pass soon. Your “PS” parking pass will be your game day parking permit for any and all playoff football games, and you will soon be receiving specific parking instructions related to your assigned lot.

Ticket Office Hours

Ticket office hours during the week of Thanksgiving will vary depending on which round the Spiders host a potential playoff football game. Official ticket office hours will be announced on Sunday, November 20th, and can be found in the email you will receive or on www.RichmondSpiders.com

Red Zone Hospitality

Both spaces in the Red Zone Hospitality Area are available for potential playoff games, and will include game tickets, access to catering and bar service, TVs, and field-level viewing. Pricing to reserve these spaces is based on your group size plus catering/bar costs. Groups interested in reserving the Red Zone Hospitality Area for playoff games should contact Jennifer Phillips at 804.287.6314

NCAA FCS Playoff Away Games

Tickets will also be available for all potential away games in any round of the playoffs. Away game tickets will be for sale through the Robins Center Ticket Office, and seat locations will be assigned based on Spider Club priority.

We look forward to seeing you back in Robins Stadium as the Spiders make another postseason run! We Are One Richmond, United In Red!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT