ADVERTISEMENT

The Official Spider World Cup Thread

Flucospider

Star
Gold Member
Dec 15, 2008
Fluvanna
I figure making it the official thread will generate at least some interest. Watching Croatia and Brazil in the opening match. Does Croatia pay UR royalties since they use the Richmond logo on their jerseys?
laugh.r191677.gif
Pulling for them, not only because they wear our jerseys, but want to start with a big upset.

Soccer isn't going to be able the stop the flopping if referees are going to encourage flopping.

US of course, and the Three Lions

Cheering for us and for England. Big fan of the English since Michael Owen's unbelievable goal against Argentina as an 18-year-old in 1998. (Becks with the setup on the goal). MO is my favorite all-time player.

Owen for England

Re: US of course, and the Three Lions

might watch some of the usa matches but any world event which features jen as an opener is really reaching. know there are a ton of people around the world excited, many right here in houston with their jerseys worn yesterday, but am watching the us open from pinehurst.

will report that the games are at least bearable this time around unlike four years ago in south africa where they handed out those obnoxious horns to all fans and they blew them the entire game, made it completely unwatchable and put one in a hurl mode.

Reported on GMA this morning they have banned the "official noise makers" those rattles because fans were throwing them on the fields. I guess the fans will have to make noise the old fashioned way --- yell, whistle, stomp, clap, etc

Can someone explain to me why the basic rules of grammar change for World Cup games, as in: "Brazil have scored!!" Bizarre.

Eight, never, ever, attempt to get or understand world futbol, all your hair will fall out.....

Very few better players in big games than Frank Lampard, yet he sits all 90+. I know he's old but he is clutch.

Watching the World Cup and enjoying it. I will take Ronaldo over Messi. I cannot believe we have no Men's Soccer team.

Reading the Washington Post today, the All Crew teams were listed. We are very close to the James River and should have just added Crew with Lacrosse.

Dropping soccer, along with track, is the most boneheaded decision ever made and it is all I think about as President Ayers enters his last year.

We've had club crew for as long as I remember, so it's not like we have completely ignored it.

Exciting 2-1 win. Looking forward to the next game/match.

This post was edited on 6/17 6:50 AM by spiderdukes

Watching soccer is about as exciting as watching paint dry and watching grass grow. I tried watching the world cup. Within ten minutes I was snoring! Actually crickets chirping is the extent of my and most Americans level of interest in that boring sport!

agree that it can be less than exciting but do enjoy the skill level and the atmosphere surrounding the world cup. if american football continues on its current path, no hitting low, no hitting high, no hitting the qb, etc., etc., it will be boring in a few years as well.

Guys that find the sport boring seem to find a lot of interest posting on this thread!

I'm thrilled we won last night but was disappointed that we allowed Ghana to dictate so much of the game. Michael Bradley is going to have to play much, much better if we are going to have a chance against Portgual.

I agree, Bradley was sleep walking. I like his comments after the match. "we can and must play better" Love the win but need to step it up to get out of group and advance in the knockout. USA!

I agree with you. Mexico is looking very, very feisty. They seem to have some great fan support too. It's not entirely surprising to see loads of Mexicans in a foreign country.

Goalie for Mexico was unreal. Hopefully Altadores injury isn't too bad, going to be hard to win without him but thrilled with the W.

England, so disappointing! Would like to pull for Costa Rica tomorrow, but that will definitely knock England out, so c'mon Italy!

I love the Brits but they are hopeless. Costa Rica is a cool upset story. Id be happy to see them upset Italy.

Also disappointed that Japan couldn't solve the Greeks down a man.

England and sports are a bad pairing. For a country that lives and dies with soccer, they sure aren't very good at. CONCAFF teams are performing quite well this year.

Brutal. Seemed like Bradley was careless again at the very end. We lost our chance. I think Ghana beats Portugal easily and we lose to Germany. Hope I am wrong. And I think the matches are exciting.

Bradley was extremely careless. He made a terrible lackadazical turnover a few minutes prior and really all he needed to was control the ball on the last position and we run out the clock. Don't know if he was tired or what, but looked like just a really bad effort from him. Very disappointing.

will not pretend to be any kind of expert on soccer/world futbol strategy but did we not just witness the good old american football prevent defense or basketball take the air out of the ball, try to win the game strategy?

Check out the anti- US football cartoon image on today's Google (7-1-14) website. I cannot stand soccer!
This post was edited on 7/1 4:39 PM by FrontRoyalSpider

you seem to hate a lot of things and people. we played well and proud of the guys. will say, know that soccer is its own culture but cannot believe that nike, who has oregon in 50 different wild unis, allowed their logo to be put on the worst uni i have ever seen at a world class level, should be ashamed.

I had rather watch the pine trees grow on Rt. 5 in Charles City County.

It may have been national pride, but I enjoyed the matches that I saw. In full disclosure I did not get to see more than 30 minutes of any single match.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT