ADVERTISEMENT

The good old days are long gone-Furniture delivery inquiry hit Barty Smith draft day 50 years ago

In today's world he never would have played in one of those meaningless all-star games and might have been healthy for his career.

Not everything was better in the good old days.

In today's world he never would have played in one of those meaningless all-star games and might have been healthy for his career.

Not everything was better in the good old days.
I agree in retrospect that All Star game was a crazy risk from the players and team's perspective, but as a fan I remember being in front of my black and white TV set every August to see if the College All Stars could knock off the NFL Champs.

I believe it was always played at Soldier Field in Chicago?

Go Spiders!

I agree in retrospect that All Star game was a crazy risk from the players and team's perspective, but as a fan I remember being in front of my black and white TV set every August to see if the College All Stars could knock off the NFL Champs.

I believe it was always played at Soldier Field in Chicago?

Go Spiders!
I remember being excited to see Larry Zunich sp? play in the game. He was the Richmond star running back in 1966.

I remember being excited to see Larry Zunich sp? play in the game. He was the Richmond star running back in 1966.
I remember Zunich. Think he was named Sports Illustrated college Player of the Week when he rushed for around 200 yards in a Spiders win that ended the nation’s longest college losing streak sometime in the mid 60’s. Those final year’s of Coach Merrick’s tenure were tough ones before Frank Jones was hired and took the program to heights few thought were possible.

Go Spiders!

I remember Zunich. Think he was named Sports Illustrated college Player of the Week when he rushed for around 200 yards in a Spiders win that ended the nation’s longest college losing streak sometime in the mid 60’s. Those final year’s of Coach Merrick’s tenure were tough ones before Frank Jones was hired and took the program to heights few thought were possible.

Go Spiders!
Yes, you’re right. The change when Frank Jones got here was remarkable too. We went from expecting to lose to expecting to win in just a couple of years.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT