ADVERTISEMENT

Early Signing,Wednesday,December 18

32counter

Spider's Club
Apr 8, 2008
Siesta Key,FL
Mike London, W&M cast recruiting nets west, while UR stays focused on regional prospects
  • By JOHN O’CONNOR Richmond Times-Dispatch
  • 5 hrs ago

William & Mary coach Mike London (left) is looking beyond the state and region for recruits, while Richmond coach Russ Huesman says the Spiders will continue to take a regional approach.

• ALEXA WELCH EDLUND/TIMES-DISPATCH THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Richmond coach Russ Huesman

• DANIEL LIN/DAILY NEWS-RECORD

William & Mary, founded in 1693, has considered itself a national school for generations. The Tribe football program may grow closer to that description Wednesday, which opens the early signing period for high school prospects.

In Mike London’s first full recruiting cycle as W&M coach, the Tribe have several scholarship offers in California and Texas. Others were distributed in Arizona, Oregon, Iowa, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky and Ohio. This is a departure from the way W&M went about its recruiting business when the coach was Jimmye Laycock from 1980 to 2018, and prior to his tenure.

“With coach London there now, they’ve made an effort to really expand their recruiting areas. So they’re going after a lot of people in a lot of different areas,” said Russ Huesman, Richmond’s coach. “Nothing wrong with that. … We’re going to stay regional. We think there are enough players regionally that we can get to know and have a good feel for.”

Huesman was a W&M assistant during 1984-97, and a UR assistant during 2004-08. He became the Spiders’ head coach prior to the 2017 season. Huesman noted that W&M and UR recruiters over the years typically recruit “the same type of kids,” but because of the Tribe’s geographically diversified search, “maybe this year, we won’t cross paths as much.”

William & Mary will open next season in California, with a Sept. 5 game at Stanford. That will be the Tribe’s first game on the West Coast in program history. The W&M men’s basketball team lost 81-50 at Stanford on Nov. 21.

London, well-known for his recruiting touch at several schools at which he previously worked, suggested he has no intention of allowing the Tribe’s recruiting presence in Virginia to erode. Speaking of the state area codes W&M will continue to target, London said his staff is committed to, “not only down here in the 757, but also in the 804 area, 703, 540, all those other areas.”

When it comes to James Madison, Virginia’s third member of CAA Football, the Dukes tend to recruit at a higher level than UR and W&M. According to Huesman, Spiders assistants are more likely to see Ivy League recruiters during their stops than JMU representatives.

Starting in 2017, a December signing period was available for prospects who had already determined which schools they wanted to attend. The traditional signing period, which begins on the first Wednesday in February, remains in effect.

Division I programs typically sign most of their recruits in December, though there usually have been a handful of additions at each program in February. And in recent years, an increasing number of transfers moved from the FBS to the FCS as the year progressed.

“In an ideal world, I want to build this program on high school kids, develop them, redshirt them, keep them here their fifth year and be very limited in the number of transfers you take,” Huesman said. “Every year, there could be a [transfer] need, but I don’t want to take five or six transfers every year.”

He seems to have opened up Tennessee, but I don't believe we are even getting the numbers out of NC and GA we used to. FL and TX should be heavy grounds for us, along with PA. I don't see much benefit from recruiting California and similar states at this time. The few recruits we get would cost us a fortune to get and the time would keep us from mining our stronger recruiting areas.

I was referring more to shunning transfers for high school kids.
I think "keeping them here their fifth year" is going to get harder and harder in today's NCAA. Even happy players will take their grad year elsewhere.
Granted, there aren't a lot of Tristan Wheelers out there (who won't be here 5 years, barring medical redshirt). You're going to have to redshirt most freshmen. But assuming a vast majority of those redshirts will "payoff" in year 5 seems naive.

Will be interesting how today plays out. With teams like JMU distracted by winning hopefully we can make up some ground. Need the speed.

Yeah, that's what I did. :rolleyes:

The message is no different if he says "my" or "an."

If we want to compete with JMU, we have to embrace transfers to some extent, even if not to that extreme.
I also believe we shouldn't redshirt a freshman who can beat out an older player on the depth chart. I'm not saying that is happening, although Russ's comments make me think if it's a close call, he's going to err on the side of redshirting. I don't think we can expect as many players to stick around for their fifth year. The trend is against it.

As you said yourself on another thread, the players have the power now.
Khwan took Mooney by surprise. I don't know if Brissett was a surprise, but he would have been WR1 here, left, and caught two passes all season.

The gap seems to be widening. I hope I'm wrong. I'm still on the bus.

Looks like we have signed everyone listed on the Commits Thread plus Devin McCray out of Goochland for a total of 15 freshmen recruits.
Does anyone know if we are likely to sign any other freshman recruits and when are we likely to announce transfers, if any?

Mr. 32Counter, thanks for all of your hard work in keeping us advised. I sincerely appreciate all that you do in this regard for both football and lacrosse.

Looks like we have signed everyone listed on the Commits Thread plus Devin McCray out of Goochland for a total of 15 freshmen recruits.
Does anyone know if we are likely to sign any other freshman recruits and when are we likely to announce transfers, if any?

Mr. 32Counter, thanks for all of your hard work in keeping us advised. I sincerely appreciate all that you do in this regard for both football and lacrosse.

There is an intention to sign additional incoming frosh ( 2DBs) on the February 6th signing date.With regard to transfers ( 2 likely),don’t foresee
any signings until beginning in May which means none will be at UR for Spring ball.The transfer portal will certainly grow between now and then.Our recruiting of this most recent graduate transfer class was pretty good with big time contributions from Northwestern,Duke,Illinois transfers.

Looks like an intended total signing class of 19.

Last edited:
Reactions: urfan1
There is an intention to sign additional incoming frosh ( 2DBs) on the February 6th signing date.With regard to transfers ( 2 likely),don’t foresee
any signings until beginning in May which means none will be at UR for Spring ball.The transfer portal will certainly grow between now and then.Our recruiting of this most recent graduate transfer class was pretty good with big time contributions from Northwestern,Duke,Illinois transfers.

Looks like an intended total signing class of 19.
Just saw Benedictine product, current Duke WR is in the transfer portal---immediate availability.

any rumors what they might target in the transfer market? wr and rb would be nice, but easier said than done i know

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT