ADVERTISEMENT

Stetson

What is the average total for both teams in all D1 games so far this season vs last season? I know this isn't right but it feels like it went from 120 to 160...

It will be interesting over the next month to see what the new normal is.

Shot clock: 35s -> 30s (~14% decrease)
Points per game: 135.8 -> 145.0 (~7% increase)
Possessions per game: 68.5 -> 72.1 (~5% increase)
Points per possession: .991 -> 1.006 (~2% increase)

The increase in scoring is due to an increase in possessions, and also an increase in efficiency. The 'rushed shot' theory that many used to argue against the faster shot clock has not come true, at least not in the first 200 games. I would say that in the first weekend the shorter shot clock seems to be largely successful. We will probably need a full season or two to tell for sure though.

The point you bring up is why looking at offensive and defensive efficiency is more important than looking at raw scoring numbers, but most of the posters on this board gloss over stats like that. The JMU game was also the worst defensive efficiency we have had in over two seasons. We actually had higher offensive efficiencies than we did against Stetson twice last year, against High Point and Davidson.

Last edited:
Offense definitely looked better, albeit against weak opponent. Helps when you make your shots. Also seemed like we we're much more aggressive on offense boards. D was better, especially in first half, but still needs to tighten up. Not as concerned with d in second half since think cm was really experimenting during first 12 minutes o second half with last 8 minutes essentially playground ball trying to get everyone a chance to score. Did notice cm yanked jp after he tried the long pass to pf that hit the rim. Jp looked at cm and knew he was coming out. Lesson learned.
Also believe scoring gonna be way up across the country with freedom of motion and 30 second clock. Same d performance this year as last probably means giving up 5-10 more points per game this year.

Marshall Wood is a player. He has a simple, quick, and almost effortless stroke. If his 3 point shot was the only thing Marshall brought to the table, he still would warrant consideration as a starter because at 6'9 that shot is almost indefensible.

But he also showed he can crash the offensive boards, take the ball to the hoop in transition, and can shoot free throws. Yes, his defense has not impressed yet, but really who has played good defense for us. And he did grab 5 defensive rebounds as well.

17-9 in just your second game of competitive hoops in 2 years is an impressive start. A couple more games like this and even Mooney will be forced to start him, as he should. He is an A-10 level starter.

Another fun fact, Wood played the most minutes of anyone on our team against Stetson. That probably speaks to Mooney's confidence in him.

Instead of starting, Khwan may be our 6th man, like Shawndre last year, and Kendall before that...

I think the reason for SDJ and K0 coming off the bench was defense. Fore is much taller than SDJ and K0, and he has averaged 5 rebounds (as well as 5.5 points, 3 assists and 1.5 steals) in 20 minutes per game in his first two games . If Mooney doesn't see him as a defensive liability he could start.

Wood had 17 points tonight, neither one of the 2 other players we ride here for being offensively challenged have scored that many points in a single game in 3+ years in a Spiders uniform

Good point. I feel like we need to get a hockey statistician on staff to give us the +/- for each of our players while they are on the court. (A few of us kept track of this occasionally last year as it applied specifically to TJ.) But at some point, if one guy can score 17 points in a game and another guy can only score 2 in the same number of minutes, the first guy has to be allowing a lot of baskets by himself to devalue himself enough that you would continue to play the other guy ahead of him.

What is the average total for both teams in all D1 games so far this season vs last season? I know this isn't right but it feels like it went from 120 to 160...

It will be interesting over the next month to see what the new normal is.

Nice to see some of the new kids playing hard and Fore hasn't learned we don't rebound yet so he got 8!!!!!! Mooney almost
pulled him from the game for rebounding. :)

I think the guard rotation could end up being a good one on offense and ball handling, but they need to get quicker and face up on defense. They are getting driven on and beat continuously. They will get better, of course the competition will too. Davis is the only consistently good defensive player we have. We are still getting beat by very slow white guys inside.

I also notice on Offense that Mooney has let the leash out a little on taking the early open shot. The 30 second clock may be a blessing for us, since the "the GlobeTrotter Basket weave" has been abandoned for the most part.

Bench Deion Taylor. He has gotten worse every year, but Mooney has some kind of bromance with him. Cline gets the hook if he even farts, yet Taylor continues to start regardless of how poorly he plays. I'm still in shock over consecutive air-ball free throws.
You should be, it was pathetic.

After 4 years of starting and lots of playing time to expect DT to all of a sudden become the player we thought he would be is foolish, at least giving MW more playing time their may be some substantial improvement, and we get another year. DT will always be a valuable player just not as a starter.
I do not disagree with your premise here, but there is a but, and the but is this:

Performance thus far shows that Wood is clearly a better shooter than either Davis or Taylor. Hands down, no question. The but is that he has not been very good on defense, he has not handled the ball (or passed) very well, and he has not been a rebounder.

It seems to me that Wood's play will be pretty much the polar opposite of Davis & Taylor. Again, I do not disagree with your point, but I think this is a clear case of being forced to pick your poison. The coaching staff must decide which strengths can help the team the most & which liabilities provide an unacceptable level of pain.

Marshall will be a very good defensive player and already is an outstanding rebounder. In fact, Terry and Marshall are the Spiders' most complete players. Jesse is right on their heels as far as being a complete player; he only needs a little time to develop. OSC

Despite the points in two games, there are some things that bothered me on offense. We tended to
hoist the three up way to early. Our ball movement in the half court was not real crisp and might be
why we took first open 3 we got. When running we looked strong cause we have some horses who can
get up the court, but that is dependent on steals and rebounding. WF is big and will go after us on boards
and I doubt we will get too many fast breaks. I feel our half court offense will have to be very sharp to have
a chance.

Last edited:
Despite the points in two games, there are some things that bothered me on offense. We tended to
hoist the three up way to early. Our ball movement in the half court was not real crisp and might be
why we took first open 3 we got. When running we looked strong cause we have some horses who can
get up the court, but that is dependent on steals and rebounding. WF is big and will go after us on boards
and I doubt we will get too many fast breaks. I feel our half court offense will half to be very sharp to have
a chance.

If you can hit the three it is the best shot in basketball. If you are open and can hit the three you better take it. We have a lot of players that can shoot from outside this year, we should be hoisting up a lot of threes when the opportunity presents itself.

Also, past Mooney teams actually got a lot of fast breaks, mostly because we actually get a lot of steals. We could easily get a lot of steals against Wake, they don't have great ball handling right now. We also have been one of the most efficient teams in the country on the fast break.

The but is that he has not been very good on defense, he has not handled the ball (or passed) very well, and he has not been a rebounder.

He had increased time in play last night and pulled down 9 rebounds which I will take every game. I agree he needs work on the defense side but to me he looked better than in the JMU game. Work in progress but I like the upside.

Stetson is awful. No player's performance is indicative of future play against a decent opponent. UR still let a miserable team score over 80. Spiders have major problems.

Reactions: Not-A-Homer
Hanca I sort of agree. Last few years we've had slow starts on offense with poor shooting but D kept us in games. Only two games in but opposite this year. To be a NCAA team we need both O and D to work well.

Stetson is awful. No player's performance is indicative of future play against a decent opponent. UR still let a miserable team score over 80. Spiders have major problems.

We were playing walk-ons for the last 6 minutes of the game and freshman/new players for much of the second half, so yes we gave up 85 points to Stetson, but that was not the our line-up that we are going to play with except against inferior teams. Plus, it was a street ball type of game, we were scoring so proficiently, we just wanted them to do something with the ball so we could get the ball back to score again.

Not to say our defense is not up to snuff yet, it needs significant work, but yesterday against Stetson, there were other factors that led to Stetson scoring so many points.

I will repeat - - - nothing in this game means anything. That includes both the good stuff and the bad stuff. None of it means anything. I am an MW supporter (if for no other reason than I know how limited DT is and at least have hope for MW), but don't let 9 rebounds or 17 points fool you. We dont know squat yet.

PS - - I will add this - - if it turns out MW is awful on D, I might still take him over DT and just try and outscore folks this year. Our best three players (TA, SDJ, TJ) are all better offensive players than defensive ones. Add MW and throw in JP or KF and lets run 'em off the floor by scoring 90 every night! It was Davidsons philosophy last year and it worked and I cant really stand another year of some old same old if the results are also same old same old! We'll be fun to watch!

Last edited:
Reactions: SpiderRick
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT