ADVERTISEMENT

St. Louis in game

ok lets look at the results? you're ok with the way it ended up? The effort was poor, anything a coach can do to change that should be considered, you think a coach never got a technical foul to fire up his team.

Of course the results SUCKED and I'm still on board even if Mooney gets to March Madness for him to be fired. Just that Philly's specific post didn't add up. The Mooney dislike probably was the cause.

That was as bad of a second half as we’ve played in a long time. SLU pushes us around and we didn’t respond. Back to playing delicately. 2 point performance from JG ain’t going to cut it against a decent team.

Bad Francis showed up in the second half and really hurt us. I guess that’s bound to happen sometimes, but it’s particularly damaging when he’s taken a lot of shots and perhaps caused Jacob to be cold from under-use, as seemed to be the case tonight. Better win Tuesday night and get back on track.

Reactions: spider23
And of course I see a sprinkling of some what was GG's problem tonight. Other than shooting 2-8 in the 1st half, he had 5 rebounds, 2 assists and 1 steal in 12 minutes. Thought he could have seen the ball more in the 2nd half but didn't happen.

The fall guy nod goes to JG tonight. And honestly I don't want to get on him cause once again 18 + 20 = 38 minutes. Too much for someone you had 2 points, 0 assist and 2 TO's in the 1st 18. Got worse in the 2nd 20 but it's only one game and I'll take JG over Fattless Russell every day of the week.

Gilyard 39 minutes, 2 points, 1 assist, 1 rebound, 4 fouls, 5 turnovers. Spent half the game complaining to the refs. What the heck has happened to him recently? Basking in the glory of his record? I would rather win games...

Reactions: coach fezz
Gilyard 39 minutes, 2 points, 1 assist, 1 rebound, 4 fouls, 5 turnovers. Spent half the game complaining to the refs. What the heck has happened to him recently? Basking in the glory of his record? I would rather win games...
Jacob didn’t assert himself on O and had a forgettable game. There were points where Blake could have involved JG but chose not to. I’d be very curious to hear the lockerroom conversations on nights like this.

There's plenty of blame to go around, but 2 things stood out to me as the keys tonight:

1. St Louis is one of the worst free throw shooting teams in the country. I blame Mooney for not instructing the guys to put their bigs on the line from the start. French and Bell should have been put on the line every time they got a post touch all night. Even with the crazy fouling the last 3 minutes Grant, Grace, Sal and Cayo combined to have only 5 fouls. Really not sure how this was not a bigger part of the game plan.

2. Collins for St Louis played Gilyard tough, got in his head and threw him off his game. Jacob spent way too much time arguing with the refs, looking for fouls. Also several times I noticed him gamble for steals and instead of hustling back into the play he just laid back and watched the rest of the play happen. For us to be good he has to be our floor general and he was not tonight.

Overall very disappointing result after a promising first 25 minutes.

Reactions: nathanw19
UR 43-37 @ 14:55 to down 43-45 @ 11:47 with MEDIA timeout. Quickly goes to UR down 54-45 @ 9:54. Mooney calls HIS timeout. Philly, true it was a 17-2 run but your post didn't paint the entire picture.

Better to say 8-0 run then TO followed 9-2 run with Mooney TO fine. The Mooney timeout issue you're stating I haven't seen this year like it all too frequently occurred over the years. That's a narrative that sure didn't exist tonight unless you wanted a 3rd TO mixed in there.

I want the damn coach to sense what’s going on much earlier is what I want. Maybe he should taken a TO before the media one.. And when they force him to take a TO for TV, I want him to coach his team up so they don’t follow an 8-0 run with a 9-2 one. This was a patented Mooney run. His teams do this year in and year out. You haven’t seen it this year as much somehow makes it ok? Take a look at the schedule and you will see why. The narrative Tonight is we gave up a 17-2 run to blow a winnable game (yet again) and the coach did nothing to prevent that. Call more timeouts, do something positive with the Media TO, I don’t care, but he was in charge while the game went to hell. And it’s an attribute on a Mooney team that this happens

Reactions: SpiderK and Hanca
Okay so next time post coach the team up more and not the lame narrative Mooney doesn't call enough TOs. Philly, that's the old repetitive issue with Mooney that I haven't seen this season and NO DOUBT didn't see it tonight.

Reactions: VT4700
I want the damn coach to sense what’s going on much earlier is what I want. Maybe he should taken a TO before the media one.. And when they force him to take a TO for TV, I want him to coach his team up so they don’t follow an 8-0 run with a 9-2 one. This was a patented Mooney run. His teams do this year in and year out. You haven’t seen it this year as much somehow makes it ok? Take a look at the schedule and you will see why. The narrative Tonight is we gave up a 17-2 run to blow a winnable game (yet again) and the coach did nothing to prevent that. Call more timeouts, do something positive with the Media TO, I don’t care, but he was in charge while the game went to hell. And it’s an attribute on a Mooney team that this happens

So it was 43-37 @ 14:55 and 43-45 at 11:47. So maybe @ 14:00, or maybe @ 13:10 or maybe at 12:20 take that TO? Maybe is the key word for me. So you're not even positive Mooney should have taken that TO before the media one? And also when it's a TV TO, I guess coaches do no coaching during that time. If that's the case, that I agree Mooney should have called another TO.:rolleyes:

And I don't think it's alright from the 1st day Mooney took over as coach. All I stated was you bringing up the fact Mooney had 17-2 run take place before he could talk to his players was inaccurate. And please, stop with the CNN spinning you're attempting. :)

Okay so next time post coach the team up more and not the lame narrative Mooney doesn't call enough TOs. Philly, that's the old repetitive issue with Mooney that I haven't seen this season and NO DOUBT didn't see it tonight.
I think you get 5 timeouts and I believe CM only used 2 tonight. Make what you will of that. I think we lost tonight for performance based reasons but if the team is off you might use all tools at your disposal to get them on track.

I think you get 5 timeouts and I believe CM only used 2 tonight. Make what you will of that. I think we lost tonight for performance based reasons but if the team is off you might use all tools at your disposal to get them on track.

What anybody with any common sense would make of it, would be NOTHING. The issue was 17-2 run occurred before Mooney first had a chance to coach up the team, which of course we all know was incorrect. Make what you will of that.

You get four, and have to take one in the first half.

What anybody with any common sense would make of it, would be NOTHING. The issue was 17-2 run occurred before Mooney first had a chance to coach up the team, which of course we all know was incorrect. Make what you will of that.
I guess I have no common sense. I wasn’t commenting on TO usage during that span. There were 40 minutes to use them and we weren’t lighting it up for much of that time.

Reactions: nathanw19
So it was 43-37 @ 14:55 and 43-45 at 11:47. So maybe @ 14:00, or maybe @ 13:10 or maybe at 12:20 take that TO? Maybe is the key word for me. So you're not even positive Mooney should have taken that TO before the media one? And also when it's a TV TO, I guess coaches do no coaching during that time. If that's the case, that I agree Mooney should have called another TO.:rolleyes:

And I don't think it's alright from the 1st day Mooney took over as coach. All I stated was you bringing up the fact Mooney had 17-2 run take place before he could talk to his players was inaccurate. And please, stop with the CNN spinning you're attempting. :)

I didn’t say there was a 17-2 run before Mooney got a chance to talk to his team. I said it took a 17-2 run before HE took a timeout.

But the point is so much broader and this is what frustrates me sometimes about our fan base. Defending him because there was a TV timeout in there. Let me be clear what I was complaining about. We gave up a 17-2 run to lose a very winnable game. At home. Again. Whether the last time was last week, last month or last year and whether there was TV timeout in the middle of it or not. We do it a lot. Good teams don’t. Does it matter he got to use a TV TO?
He did such good coaching during the TV timeout that his team came out and let the run continue. I an upset he couldn’t stop a game wrecking run. Again. Is it better that he got a TO in the middle of the run and it helped not at all? Not to me. It’s still a game losing 17-2 run. Again. And it’s past the point of being defensible.
There are reasons these runs happen to us. Well Beyond his TO usage and abilities during TO’s. How about the fact that we are in the very bottom of the NCAA at offensive rebounding and at getting to the FT line. Both effects of being soft. So when the other team ups the intensity, we can’t stem the tide of no buckets with a few easy put backs or by getting to the line. Those two facts are who we are and have been. But they make us far more prone to giving up runs. And me far more prone to think this coach isn’t the best answer. He simply is what he is. A competent coach with many flaws who probably needs a change in scenery as much as I feel like we need a change in coach.

We all know Mooney likes to save his timeouts for when we are up 10 and we just made a basket with 3 minutes left in the game.

Reactions: ur2K
At one point during their run, we had 5 possessions in a row that went 2 TOs and 3 consecutive missed threes by Francis. It was a bad display of coaching and player execution from such an experienced group of players and coaches

At one point during their run, we had 5 possessions in a row that went 2 TOs and 3 consecutive missed threes by Francis. It was a bad display of coaching and player execution from such an experienced group of players and coaches
I think we were all spoiled by watching Dick Tarrant handle these situations. Calling timeouts and pulling out of control players from the game.

CM and every team he has put on the floor since the 2011 NCAA team have been softer than a baby's a$$.

One of the truisms of sports is the idea that teams are an extension of the personality of their coach(es). A loss like this one is squarely on CM and his staff.

I do take some comfort in the fact that CM would kick Ford's a$$ in the Coach's Cookoff.

#NoMoreMooneyTruthing

I didn’t say there was a 17-2 run before Mooney got a chance to talk to his team. I said it took a 17-2 run before HE took a timeout.

But the point is so much broader and this is what frustrates me sometimes about our fan base. Defending him because there was a TV timeout in there. Let me be clear what I was complaining about. We gave up a 17-2 run to lose a very winnable game. At home. Again. Whether the last time was last week, last month or last year and whether there was TV timeout in the middle of it or not. We do it a lot. Good teams don’t. Does it matter he got to use a TV TO?
He did such good coaching during the TV timeout that his team came out and let the run continue. I an upset he couldn’t stop a game wrecking run. Again. Is it better that he got a TO in the middle of the run and it helped not at all? Not to me. It’s still a game losing 17-2 run. Again. And it’s past the point of being defensible.
There are reasons these runs happen to us. Well Beyond his TO usage and abilities during TO’s. How about the fact that we are in the very bottom of the NCAA at offensive rebounding and at getting to the FT line. Both effects of being soft. So when the other team ups the intensity, we can’t stem the tide of no buckets with a few easy put backs or by getting to the line. Those two facts are who we are and have been. But they make us far more prone to giving up runs. And me far more prone to think this coach isn’t the best answer. He simply is what he is. A competent coach with many flaws who probably needs a change in scenery as much as I feel like we need a change in coach.

Runs happen in college basketball all the time. Pretty much every game has them. Virginia was up on both BC and Syracuse before giving up runs that cost them those games. Does that mean Bennett sucks? We just went on a 28-10 run to end the half against Rhode Island. Let me guess. That was 100% because of the players and had nothing to do with coaching, right? But, when a run happens against us, it's all because of coaching? Come on. Give it a rest.

Reactions: Gallipoli
OK, late in the second half...the team has gone completely flat...embarrassingly flat... so call every time out you've got if you have to.... the team playing poorly, flat, soft, quitting, whatever, ..... do what you have to....even a technical..... to try and light a fire under them.

So, intentionally get a tech down about 10 with 4 minutes left? Yikes! No coach out there would do that.

We all know Mooney likes to save his timeouts for when we are up 10 and we just made a basket with 3 minutes left in the game.

Except for the fact he called one with just under 10 minutes left and another with just under 7 minutes left. But, keep having your fun with your inaccurate statements. We all know that will continue to happen.

SLU is not a good basketball team. URI is not a good basketball team. VCU is not a good basketball team. We are not a good basketball team. The A10 is a one bid league. We will be lucky to make the NIT. Chris Mooney should be fired.

All the teams you mentioned are top 50 or top 70 teams. With 350 teams out there, there must be an awful lot of not good basketball teams out there for this to be accurate. No way is the A-10 a one bid conference this year. Time will tell with your other comments.

Last edited:
Our NET dropped, but Rhode Island is a quad 1 win right now, and SLU is one of 4 A-10 teams in the top 50. That loss yesterday does not ruin anything if we still get to 13 IC wins and beat a few more top teams.

CM and every team he has put on the floor since the 2011 NCAA team have been softer than a baby's a$$.

One of the truisms of sports is the idea that teams are an extension of the personality of their coach(es). A loss like this one is squarely on CM and his staff.

I do take some comfort in the fact that CM would kick Ford's a$$ in the Coach's Cookoff.

#NoMoreMooneyTruthing

We might seem soft at times against a team like St. Louis, but what about our wins over teams like Wisky and Rhode Island? Should we just change our whole recruiting style just to hang inside with St. Louis? I like our roster a lot, and if we run into SLU again, we could beat them with this roster. The negatives always come out after a loss, but man, if our guys were what some of you expect them to be every game, they would be playing for national titles at power schools. Why is the criticism so high after losses, and the praise so little after wins?

Why is the criticism so high after losses, and the praise so little after wins?
In one word, Mooney. Fans who have a realistic view of the program don't trust him. His mediocre record through the years is a better forecast of what's to come than your continued "yes, but" commentary. There's a good chance we will be closer to 9 and 9 than your 13 and 5. Mooney's record says so.

Last edited:
We might seem soft at times against a team like St. Louis, but what about our wins over teams like Wisky and Rhode Island? Should we just change our whole recruiting style just to hang inside with St. Louis? I like our roster a lot, and if we run into SLU again, we could beat them with this roster. The negatives always come out after a loss, but man, if our guys were what some of you expect them to be every game, they would be playing for national titles at power schools. Why is the criticism so high after losses, and the praise so little after wins?
I think the criticism is high mostly due to an imbalance of losses to wins the past few years. I think that’s just math, more losses will generate a higher ratio of complaints.

There has been praise after the wins this year, but CM has an uphill battle to win folks back. I wouldn’t blame the fans for that.

I think the criticism is high mostly due to an imbalance of losses to wins the past few years. I think that’s just math, more losses will generate a higher ratio of complaints.

There has been praise after the wins this year, but CM has an uphill battle to win folks back. I wouldn’t blame the fans for that.

Fair point. Just seems so quick to go back into attack mode and player criticism only one game after such a good win at Rhode Island. And, we just lost to a 14-3 team, not a 3-14 team. But, I do hear what you are saying.

A lot of basketball left. Let's get this next one and get rolling again.

The eye test says this game was about our interior defense.
But I wonder if it was really our offense that floundered?
Hopefully we don’t have many games with 6 assists, 15 turnovers, and 19% from three...

Reactions: VT4700
It's inexplicable why we weren't fouling them early and often given their horrible record from the line. Put that on poor game planning by the coaches, not the players.

We weren't even aggressively fouling when they were filleting inside during the second half run. Baffling. Potential opportunity not exploited. SOS

ok lets look at the results? you're ok with the way it ended up? The effort was poor, anything a coach can do to change that should be considered, you think a coach never got a technical foul to fire up his team.
I've heard the "coach got a technical foul to fire up his team" comment for about 55-years now. I don't see the logic.

Can you explain it to me?

Reactions: urfan1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT