ADVERTISEMENT

Spiders rank 1st in NCAA for lowest turnovers

Extremely low turnover rates are the most consistant aspect of Mooney's teams, along with low offensive rebounding rates. Wouldn't be surprised if over the past 15 years Mooney's teams have the best overall turnover rate in the country.

Mooney's teams have been in the top 100 in turnover rate every year for the past 16 years, top 50 in 13 of 16, and top 10 in 5 of 16. Pretty crazy how consistently low the turnovers are for his teams.

That which is valued is rewarded.

Fail to box out. Keep playing.
Allow a dribble drive. Keep playing.
Miss a switch assignment. Keep playing.

Turn over the ball. To bench and toward the student manager end, possibly for duration of game..

Only 6 turnovers tonight. Of course, the Shockers only had 6 as well and we got outplayed in most other facets of the game.

L.

Reactions: spider23
Only 6 turnovers tonight. Of course, the Shockers only had 6 as well and we got outplayed in most other facets of the game.

L.
We are missing our starting point guard, but Tyne seems to be getting better every game. He had a couple nice 3s and no turnovers.

The ball handling by our guards has been outstanding!

Richmond leads all of Division I in fewest turnovers per game this year, with 8.0. UR is also 11th in D-I with a 1.81 assist-to-turnover ratio.
Lowest "turnover rate" in the Country and strong "assist to turnover ratio" are very nice stats and something to take pride in. However, purist basketball fans would have to ask "how does a team that handles the ball that well go 4-3 against mediocre competition?" I'd like to hear an explanation.

Last night we still got lazy with some passes that cost us at key times. Waltz over Harris head
as an example when we had closed the gap. I think our low TO rate is due to the fact we stay on the
perimeter a lot in our offense. We are more effective attacking the lane more frequently but with
that approach our TO rate goes up, but so should our scoring.

Reactions: urfan1
Lowest "turnover rate" in the Country and strong "assist to turnover ratio" are very nice stats and something to take pride in. However, purist basketball fans would have to ask "how does a team that handles the ball that well go 4-3 against mediocre competition?" I'd like to hear an explanation.
OK, I'll bite. Colorado and Wichita are not mediocre, they're good. And they are better than we are.

OK, I'll bite. Colorado and Wichita are not mediocre, they're good. And they are better than we are.
Agreed. Both Colorado and Wichita are good teams. We are mediocre and our record proves that. We've basically lost to good teams, gone .500 against teams in our weight class and 3-0 against the cupcakes where we can just roll out superior talent.

So, looking at our next 6 games are

W&M (Bad) W
Northern Iowa (mediocre) could be a W or L
Florida (Good) L
Charlotte (mediocre) could be a W or L
Buffalo (Bad, really bad) W
Lafeyette (Bad, really bad) W

So, I think we split the two equal opponents to us and go 4-2 over the next 6. Ending the OOC at 8-5. Zero good wins, Zero bad losses.

Reactions: gospidersgo
Trying to figure out your cutoff between "Bad" and "Bad, really bad." Must be around 320 KenPom, but W&M is rapidly heading toward that considering last night's debacle against Norfolk St. But I guess they can't drop much further between now and Saturday.

Trying to figure out your cutoff between "Bad" and "Bad, really bad." Must be around 320 KenPom, but W&M is rapidly heading toward that considering last night's debacle against Norfolk St. But I guess they can't drop much further between now and Saturday.
Yeah, W&M might be that discussion of really bad. They at least have a few D-1 wins (2 to be exact). Buffalo and Lafayette both have not won a D-1 game yet, so that gets the really bad designation in my book.

Yep, this is what has me demoralized. We can't seem to step up and turn it up when we play a bigger more athletic team. JB could scheme and do enough to always have a chance in those games. Tarrant was very good and instilled a Marine tough mentality through practice. With Mooney, not sure what the culture is other than fluidity. Now, to have a positive outlook, we need to beat both Florida and Northern Iowa to get us back on track. We will games this year because teams like Loyola, LaSalle, GW, URI, Fordham are all in conference, but based on how we looked against the bad teams - I was hoping we could carry over vs the good and athletic teams.

Reactions: 8legs1dream
William & Mary dressed 7 scholarship players last game.

What's our shooting % to turnover ratio? I don't give a damn about turnover ratio, the only stat that matters is number of points we score vs number of points they score.

Seriously, other than the A10 tourney/Iowa game in '21, I can't remember the last time a Richmond team won as an underdog on the road.

Reactions: 8legs1dream
Really? How many scholarships are available on a roster?

They DRESSED 7...
Sans all the comic relief, the point was that they were missing a number of scholarship players not available to play because of injury. Not sure of their attire or how many non-scholarship players were available dressed or not.

Sans all the comic relief, the point was that they were missing a number of scholarship players not available to play because of injury. Not sure of their attire or how many non-scholarship players were available dressed or not.
In all seriousness, It appears they only played 7 scholarship players the game before as well. One with no stats in 11 minutes.

Last edited:
Reactions: whampas
T
And our campus is 100 more leafy than Wichita, I bet.
That's for damn sure. Unimpressive campus and state for that matter. They've had recent success, but I wasn't overly impressed by their crowd support or arena. Nice. But our crowd and arena is nicer. No reason we can't be what they are - a regular NCAA participant, along with more consistent runs to the Sweet 16 and even a run to the Final 4.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT