2. High Point (1) - 39
3. Air Force - 37
4. Jacksonville (1) - 36
5. Furman - 24
6. Bellarmine - 17
7. Mercer - 16
8. VMI - 7

Reactions: Ulla1
I don’t know as much about the sport as you do but there are two positions on that first team that can really make a difference: FO and GK.

Possession is so important and a great FO man can really dominate. Hopefully we have someone who can hold there own. I have seen a few games where the FO man has kept the ball in his offense’s hands for almost an entire quarter. That can really turn a game.

I know that was an area we struggled with last season. I know the kid from Jacksonville graduated, which is good. He absolutely killed us on face offs in both games last year. It was the main reason they beat HP in OT in the semi’s and the reason our game in the SoCon finals went into OT.

Having a great GK is a pretty obvious advantage. We benefited from a great one for several years. I know our starter is back but his save % was middle of the league (in league play) last season. Hopefully both GK and FO improve this season.

Having Benny Pugh as an assistant coach is a big plus after his 4 years of playing with Chemotti.His guidance with a first year GK starter last season was crucial.Dont forget we had graduated an All American GK in Pugh and an All American Defender-Brendan Hynes-going into last season.Hynes was an enforcer.Blake Goodman will likely be #1 GK.

Believe that Nick D’Amaro will be the lead FO but not sure.Hopefully,a ton of leg lifts and wrist weights in the offseason.

Last edited:
Nick D’Amaro - a transfer in his senior year - will be our starting FO. He held his own to start (before getting outmatches) by TD Ierlan when we played Albany in ncaa tournament. TD Ierlan is best FO in country.

I would say FO is the most important position in all of lacrosse. Can change the whole dynamic of the game. We have Mick Burden coming in next year. Has a 82 rating on Inside Lacrosse as FO guy. I’m sure Chemotti places extra importance in that position.

Given the changes in personnel from 2017 to 2018,we went from 12-4 to 11-5,overall.We should see an improvement in both categories(Goals Against Per Game and Face Off Win %) although the schedule has gotten progressively tougher.

2017 2018

GA PG. 6.25 10.25

FO% won. 58.9 42.1

Last edited:
Spiders lacrosse, SoCon preseason favorite for first time, opens at No. 3 Maryland Saturday
5c5c21836115c.image.jpg

UR lacrosse coach Dan Chemotti: “We’ve got some pieces that we think have a lot of potential."

ALEXA WELCH EDLUND/TIMES-DISPATCH

In its first five years of existence, University of Richmond men’s lacrosse advanced to league title games every May, and won a pair of conference championships that secured two trips to the NCAA tournament.

In the Spiders’ sixth year, they encounter a first. Never before has UR been tabbed as preseason favorite in its league. Richmond is picked to win the Southern Conference, according to league coaches, who voted.

“I don’t think it will change anything at all,” senior attack Teddy Hatfield said. “Getting that recognition is nice, but at the end of the day, it doesn’t really mean much.”

UR opens at No. 3 Maryland (1-0) Saturday. The Spiders won the SoCon’s regular-season and tournament championships last year before falling 18-9 at Albany in the NCAA tournament. Richmond also advanced to the NCAA tournament in 2014, when it won the Atlantic Sun championship in UR’s first season as a Division I program.

The top four scorers return from a team that went 11-6 (6-1 SoCon).

“We’ve got some pieces that we think have a lot of potential,” said Dan Chemotti, UR’s coach since the program’s launch. “We think we really have the potential to take a step forward in a variety of positions from a year ago. The main thing we’re in need of right now is just more game experience at some of those positions.

“We like the pieces. They’re just not as seasoned as some of the guys a season ago.”

Richmond’s schedule includes a pair of 2018 Final Four teams, Maryland and No. 2 Duke. The Spiders also face No. 10 Notre Dame and No. 6 Virginia in non-conference competition.

“We want to give our guys the chance to play the best teams in the country out of conference. I think that’s an important part of our recipe here,” said Chemotti. “We never wanted to shy away from anybody.”

Hatfield was joined on the preseason all-conference team by sophomore midfield Mitch Savoca, sophomore defense Jason Reynolds, and junior Tate Gallagher, a short-stick midfield.

The SoCon tournament was held at Robins Stadium each of the last four years. It shifts to High Point this season.

There was no admission for UR home games in past years. This season, Richmond is charging $10 ($5 for 12-and-under) for games against Notre Dame (Feb. 23) and Duke (March 1). There is no admission charge for other games at Robins Stadium.

Maryland 11 Bucknell 6 RECAP

http://umterps.com/news/2019/2/2/mens-lacrosse-3-terps-win-26th-straight-season-opener.aspx

Last edited:

Richmond senior Teddy Hatfield is seven goals away from the program's career-scoring record.

• SHELBY LUM/TIMES-DISPATCH

Teddy Hatfield

This has been going on for four lacrosse seasons, so it’s not as if University of Richmond opponents are unaware that Teddy Hatfield can score. Hatfield, from Summit, N.J., continues to stretch the net despite the defensive attention the senior attack attracts.

Hatfield, a starter since his freshman year, could become UR’s career-leading scorer this week. The Spiders (1-1), in their sixth season as a Division I program, open their home schedule Tuesday at 4 p.m. against UMBC (0-1), and then face No. 7 Notre Dame (1-0) Saturday at Robins Stadium at noon.

UMBC's visit begins a six-game Richmond homestand. Barring injury or some highly unusual development, Hatfield will sit atop the Spiders’ career scoring list by the time they hit the road again. He has 92 goals. The program record is held by Mitch Goldberg, now a Richmond assistant coach. He scored 99 career goals 2014-18 (redshirted one year because of knee injury).

“I’ve played with some tremendous teammates over the years, Mitch included,” said Hatfield, who scored four goals in UR’s 13-11 win Saturday at Bucknell. “Very few of my goals are just me kind of running through a defense. A lot of it has to do with the team defense, the goalies, and the [other] players on offense. I couldn’t have scored those goals without them.”

Hatfield, a 6-foot-1 180-pounder, already is the program's career leader in points (goals plus assists), and assists.

“Super-talented, super-skilled, and he works really well in this offense,” said Ryan Lee, a UR senior attack. “He’s always working off-ball to get himself open and to get everybody else open. Whenever I’m out there and I have the ball, I always know if I look up and see Teddy, he’s going to be open.”

Hatfield, an All-Southern Conference selection each of the last two years, has four assists, tied for the team lead, to go with his six goals this season. This knack for getting in scoring position and finishing, and finding other Spiders who do the same, is the result of Hatfield’s preparation and attention to detail, according to Richmond coach Dan Chemotti.

“We expect a lot out of him, and he’s a bit of a coach on the field. He helps get guys to the right spots,” said Chemotti, whose team opened with a 10-9 loss at No. 3 Maryland. “There are no days off for him. He shows up like it’s game day every single day.”

The Spiders were designated as the favorites in the Southern Conference preseason poll, and are the league's defending champions (regular season and tournament).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT