ADVERTISEMENT

SHSU Game Moved to Sunday Night 8/27 on ESPNU

Date change to accommodate ESPN :August 31---->August 27

Almost 2 weeks between SHSU and Colgate(Sept 9).

Our preseason practice schedule will get moved up for sure.

Last edited:
Date change to accommodate ESPN :August 31---->August 27

Almost 2 weeks between SHSU and Colgate(Sept 9).

Our preseason practice schedule will get moved up for sure.

Yes. Yes. Yes. All great news. Camp will probably open around the 25th of July.

Anybody looked at the flight situation down to Houston?

yep,it cost me $152 to change... thx AA airlines and travelocity

Should be a great game but I'd like to think we got em after seeing how they looked against jmu.

Colgate at Cal Poly was originally scheduled on 8/27, but it's been moved up one day to 8/26,also at 7:05 p.m. ET on ESPNU.

Both UR and Colgate meet in Hamilton,NY after each has a bye week immediately subsequent to these early games.

Should be a great game but I'd like to think we got em after seeing how they looked against jmu.

I think it would be foolish to use the transitive property in this case. How hurt was their QB in the JMU game? JMU was playing some incredible football at the end of last year.

also, seems to me that Russ's season ended down here with a 5 point loss. this is a very good team with a very good coach playing in summer texas conditions. usually do the non-stop united flights when i come back to richmond, two a day, me thinks. bush international is north of houston towards huntsville, hobby is south of the city so much further land travel, arrive at bush if possible. suggest renting a luxury bus and stop along the way including mississippi and la gulf coast for gambling and great food. would have to make it a week long deal but would be a blast.

jmu beat Sam Houston because they were the more physical team. They like to play that crazy air raid offense where they throw the ball 50 times a game. Their conference is not as good as the CAA and it doesn't prepare th well for when they meet teams like us and jmu. We will beat them because we are a more physical team.

also, seems to me that Russ's season ended down here with a 5 point loss. this is a very good team with a very good coach playing in summer texas conditions. usually do the non-stop united flights when i come back to richmond, two a day, me thinks. bush international is north of houston towards huntsville, hobby is south of the city so much further land travel, arrive at bush if possible. suggest renting a luxury bus and stop along the way including mississippi and la gulf coast for gambling and great food. would have to make it a week long deal but would be a blast.
That would be my plan. Hoping to see an Ole Miss game maybe on the way home.

there you go, visit the grove and and party like you are 20. the best looking cheerleaders in the country, including usc and ucla

This is clearly a situation where I'm okay with second place. However, unless you've been to the Grove for tailgating, you have no idea. Without doubt the largest collection of beautiful women anywhere.

This is clearly a situation where I'm okay with second place. However, unless you've been to the Grove for tailgating, you have no idea. Without doubt the largest collection of beautiful women anywhere.
Been there, whampas. You got it right!

Ok getting back to original point. This game is a great test of the eye. Not on the sideline but in the middle. Would love to see ole coaching rivals meet up.

32, those are the club team rebel girls, come on man. the grove is most definitely a place to go before you check out

You're referring to the male cheerleaders,I suppose.Nice.Sweet tea in Jackson for many weeks during my M&A days but honestly guys I'll stick with familiar territory including the USC ladies and that atmosphere.Make sure you check it out before you all check out.Ask Aaron Corp.Am sure he was distracted plenty.

Back to original topic - glad to see from RTD article that admin has supported Russ on the time change and given him the resources to bring the guys back early. Right messaging to hopefully start to mitigate the dumpster fire set this spring.

How Sam Houston State Fans Should Feel Entering the 2017 Season
One of the best offensive teams in the country has had ugly playoff exits the last three seasons. Is this experienced Bearkat team a national power, or just a conference power?

• SHSU ATHLETICSThe Sam Houston State offense returns its top playmakers at quarterback, running back and wide receiver. But is it enough for a run at a national championship?

Sam Herder
    @TheHerd215
    clock.jpg
    Jun 15, 2017 06:55

sam-houston-state-logo-e1476364147219.png
    Ah, Sam Houston State. The Bearkats are just a weird team to gauge. Are they great? Are they good? Are they average?

Outside of North Dakota State, no FCS team has had more postseason success since 2011. SHSU made the title game in the 2011 and 2012 seasons. 2014 and 2015 saw semifinal appearances and last season the Bearkats were in the quarterfinals.

But how the Bearkats exited the playoffs the last three years has left FCS fans skeptical. And for SHSU fans, they should feel cautiously optimistic for 2017.

And here’s why:

SHSU ended its last three seasons with these losses: 35-3 to NDSU, 62-10 to Jacksonville State and 65-7 to James Madison last year. The team simply got bullied and pushed around in its playoff exits.

During these regular seasons, though, SHSU owned one of the most dynamic offenses in the FCS. Last year, the Bearkats were first in the subdivision with 547.3 yards per game and 49.5 points per game.

Sure, you put them in the Missouri Valley Football Conference or the Colonial Athletic Association and those numbers go down. The Southland Conference isn't known for its defenses. But there's no denying the Bearkats have had some of the best offensive weapons in the country.

2017 will be no different.

Returning is the Walter Payton Award winner Jeremiah Briscoe at quarterback. Around him is an arsenal of weapons unmatched in the FCS. Remus Bulmer (901 yards) and Corey Avery (755 yards) return at running back. Yedidiah Louis (1,152 yards), Nathan Stewart (1,004 yards) and Davion Davis (960 yards) are back at wide receiver.

The question for the 2017 Bearkats won't be if they can score enough points. It's can their defense improve and their offensive and defensive lines get more physical for a long playoff push.

A problem for SHSU in the past has been its weak schedule. An 11-0 regular season record in 2016 only rewarded them a No. 5 seed in the playoffs because its strength of schedule was so poor. The Bearkats can't help how tough their conference is and did their duty last year by whooping everyone.

To start this season, SHSU already has a tougher schedule with a season-opening game against Richmond, who should be a Top 10 team.

That will be a huge game for the Bearkats to show what kind of team they are. Because, realistically, they'll probably win the rest of their games against inferior opponents.

They'll probably have one of the best records in the FCS at the end of the regular season. They'll probably break records offensively. That much should give SHSU fans a lot of reasons to be excited.

But as shown in the past, that won't prove how the team stacks up with the top dogs in the FCS. Even if the Bearkats have a close game or defeat Richmond and then roll through the conference schedule, what seed would they deserve?

They looked unstoppable last season until an embarrassing performance at JMU on national television. One bad playoff exit is one thing. Three in a row is something else.

Is this the year that changes? Along with defensive menace P.J. Hall back, their roster on paper says the Bearkats will be a better football team in 2017. Actually, this very well could be the best SHSU team since the 2011-2012 squads with the likes of Timothy Flanders, Brian Bell and the Taylor brothers.

Is it a team good enough to win a national championship, though? That's what SHSU fans should be wondering all season, even if their team is putting up 50-60 points every week against conference opponents.
KEYS:

Returning is the Walter Payton Award winner Jeremiah Briscoe at quarterback. Around him is an arsenal of weapons unmatched in the FCS. Remus Bulmer (901 yards) and Corey Avery (755 yards) return at running back. Yedidiah Louis (1,152 yards), Nathan Stewart (1,004 yards) and Davion Davis (960 yards) are back at wide receiver.

Last edited:
This will be an interesting matchup. I counted nine 300-lb. offensive linemen; but there isn't a ton of experience. They gave up only 1.31 sacks per game; but their conference, as stated in another post above, doesn't seem to be that good. I want to see what our 4-2-5 defense does to their passing attack, and if our defensive lineman can out-quick their fat boys. I'll have the pork ribs and all the fixin's ready to watch this one.

http://www.gobearkats.com/SportSelect.dbml?SPID=11345&SPSID=92958

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT