ADVERTISEMENT

Secret Scrimmage

8 assists! Solid! And a very key position is PG and I love, love, love that Nelson scored 14.
We had a good day..Jaynel was solid and our rebounding was decent. Zay is going to be a great addition. Not in the article but Dji 6pts 5 ast and 8 rebounds and a couple of charges. He did say charges this year they can be called as techs with no warning this season and both teams collected a few. JMU wasn't that good but tried to be physical. Also Dji and Jaynel played together again and Dji was PG when Jaynel was out.

Speaking of charges, are you saying they are emphasizing flopping again, i.e. if they determine a flop they will call it a T?

Interesting, but one thing over the years I have noticed is that the refs tend to focus on the point of emphasis at the beginning of the season, and then revert back to their normal patterns.

Speaking of charges, are you saying they are emphasizing flopping again, i.e. if they determine a flop they will call it a T?

Interesting, but one thing over the years I have noticed is that the refs tend to focus on the point of emphasis at the beginning of the season, and then revert back to their normal patterns.
Yea thats the way Dji explained it. If they determine its a flop then it is a tech with no warning...I'm on the fence with this. I would hate to see this determine a close game and punish the defense. I mean if it blatant I get it but this call is already the hardest to call in the game imo.

I agree, SDad. Instead of a tech, maybe just do one FT and the ball. The difference is if 2 techs get a guy thrown out, that would be pretty bad if a guy ended up getting tossed on a judgement flopping call. I don't know why they need to worry about flops anyway. The ref should call the block/charge as he or she sees it whether a guy flops or not.

I agree, SDad. Instead of a tech, maybe just do one FT and the ball. The difference is if 2 techs get a guy thrown out, that would be pretty bad if a guy ended up getting tossed on a judgement flopping call. I don't know why they need to worry about flops anyway. The ref should call the block/charge as he or she sees it whether a guy flops or not.
Interesting point...I'm uncertain as how this plays out in the reg season. It would def suck for a kid to be ejected for say 2 flops. Let's hope there is some discretion with this.

Yea thats the way Dji explained it. If they determine its a flop then it is a tech with no warning...I'm on the fence with this. I would hate to see this determine a close game and punish the defense. I mean if it blatant I get it but this call is already the hardest to call in the game imo.
Agreed about being on the fence about it.
I hate flopping and think it needs to be officiated out of the game.

Love, love, love that Quinn had 8 assists. Key position for us, and looks like he may slide right in.
Agree completely. Of course it's just a scrimmage but that assist number is a great sign that Quinn is ready to step into Grant's role without a precipitous dropoff.

Time will tell, but this roster feels so much stronger and more stable than I could've imagined it would be knowing we were losing the group of super seniors.

Reactions: SpiderDad75
Agreed about being on the fence about it.
I hate flopping and think it needs to be officiated out of the game.
a flop should either be a non-call if it doesn't affect the offensive player or a defensive foul if it does.
there's no reason for it to be a technical foul. it's so subjective. taking a charge is a great defensive play. if a player exaggerates it, I won't give him the call. but a tech is too punitive.

a flop should either be a non-call if it doesn't affect the offensive player or a defensive foul if it does.
there's no reason for it to be a technical foul. it's so subjective. taking a charge is a great defensive play. if a player exaggerates it, I won't give him the call. but a tech is too punitive.
This is a stone cold lock, we will lose a game this year on a technical caused by a flop, most likely at home.

Reactions: plydogg
For some reason, I thought the flop change was on the offensive player ...

To be clear, I wasn’t trying to imply I think he doesn’t have the it factor. I just don’t know as I’ve only seen a few highlight reels. Hard to make a judgment for me at this point. Suspect that’s true for most, including Spider23.

Reactions: Section9.RowD
Feeling pretty good about the PG position based on feedback from first two scrimmages. Yep, I am not ready to crown him yet, but basically when I watched his highlights, he gave me the Kevin Anderson vibes in the way he played and sees the game. Can't wait for the VMI game.
I really think we are good at PG with both guys...control the game, don't turn it over is the biggie and knock down open shots and take advantage of mismatches(with Dji being bigger).

Feeling pretty good about the PG position based on feedback from first two scrimmages. Yep, I am not ready to crown him yet, but basically when I watched his highlights, he gave me the Kevin Anderson vibes in the way he played and sees the game. Can't wait for the VMI game.
If he’s 70% the player KA was then we will be just fine.

If Bigelow is dropping 19 a game, he probably isn't coming off the bench all season. Still think our most natural starting line up is Nelson, Goose, Tyler, Bigelow, and Quinn. Grace can get his minutes backing up both. This allows everyone to play their natural position.

Feel that Mooney might be doing one of his I'm gonna try to pound this square peg into round hole routines to start the season, aka, like starting Nick Sherod last year as our starting 2 guard on a team that was begging for a high quality defensive player in the starting line up. Starting Quinn and Grace together is beginning to have those same vibes.

Reactions: LongTimeSpiderFan
If Bigelow is dropping 19 a game, he probably isn't coming off the bench all season. Still think our most natural starting line up is Nelson, Goose, Tyler, Bigelow, and Quinn. Grace can get his minutes backing up both. This allows everyone to play their natural position.
I think it'll be like it was with Grant ... sub Quinn out at 16:00. Grace slides over to the 5 and Bigelow comes in at the 4.
then at 12:00 Grace is ready for a break when Quinn comes back in.

Reactions: Long Island Spiders

Feel that Mooney might be doing one of his I'm gonna try to pound this square peg into round hole routines to start the season, aka, like starting Nick Sherod last year as our starting 2 guard on a team that was begging for a high quality defensive player in the starting line up. Starting Quinn and Grace together is beginning to have those same vibes.
I think that could be the starting lineup eventually. But Matt grace has earned the opportunity to start the season as a starter at the four. Let’s see what happens after a few weeks.

I think that could be the starting lineup eventually. But Matt grace has earned the opportunity to start the season as a starter at the four. Let’s see what happens after a few weeks.
It will be interesting the first 3 games, then the next 4.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT