ADVERTISEMENT

Secret Scrimmage

I’m sure

which coach did u talk to & I’ll tell u if he lied 🤥
I'm sure as well
internet seriously GIF

Last edited:
I’m glad to hear about Dji getting some real playing time.
Won’t be able to take it again this year if Mooney has another “Wilson” repeat. Most frustrating thing as a fan when you know coach not playing the right people.

Reactions: SpiderDad75
I’m glad to hear about Dji getting some real playing time.
Won’t be able to take it again this year if Mooney has another “Wilson” repeat. Most frustrating thing as a fan when you know coach not playing the right people.
🙏 appreciate that! We are grateful for the opportunity and I've always believed that all he needs is the opportunity. I think this is his year and he has worked extremely hard this offseason.

JOC with the scrimmage report...

Nelson, Goose, Burton, Grace, Quinn as starters. Burton led the way of course, but Nelson shot pretty well in 27 minutes though that assist to turnover ratio isn't great. Sounds like Bigelow and Bailey shaping up for prominent roles off the bench.

@spiderman please note that Grace is starting at the 4

If he did that, he’d be on the NBA fast track.
Or our team is not that great at shooting. He could shoot 35% and lead us in shooting as well from 3.

I like Grace and Quinn together at times, but will need to see how this works in A10 play where generally speaking, I think we have trouble on the defensive end guarding more athletic teams. But if the switch everything zone-man defense is back in effect and the new guys have picked it up quicker than anyone before in Mooney's tenure - this could work very well.

Or our team is not that great at shooting. He could shoot 35% and lead us in shooting as well from 3.

I like Grace and Quinn together at times, but will need to see how this works in A10 play where generally speaking, I think we have trouble on the defensive end guarding more athletic teams. But if the switch everything zone-man defense is back in effect and the new guys have picked it up quicker than anyone before in Mooney's tenure - this could work very well.
I thought Grace was pretty good defensively when paired with Grant last year. I like him better defending a forward than a center. I'd love top see Walz earn the backup 5 time.

Dogg's prediction wouldn't shock me either. I think Roche should be the best. I hope Burton lights it up for his pro prospects. but we've always heard Grace is a great shooter, and he's always had confidence in taking that shot. definitely gets clean looks at his height.

I thought Grace was pretty good defensively when paired with Grant last year. I like him better defending a forward than a center.
Agreed. Grace gets backed down by bigger centers too easily. The question I have with him defending a forward is will he have the foot speed to keep in front of quicker players. I don't know.

Agreed. Grace gets backed down by bigger centers too easily. The question I have with him defending a forward is will he have the foot speed to keep in front of quicker players. I don't know.
he might get beat on the perimeter some but at least Neal's behind him.
not Matt's fault inside. he's just a little light at the 5 against the bigger guys. but I'm sure he'll play there some and do fine.

I think that is the problem with both Grace and Quinn playing a lot of minutes together. In today's game, at VT notes, not a lot of traditional bigs out there - lot of perimeter oriented lineups. That seems like it could be an issue on D at some point. I guess the flip side is that we can take advantage of those lineups in the post. In the covid year, we seemed to be most effective going to Cayo and Golden low early and getting buckets inside, opening things up for our shooters.

Reactions: 8legs1dream
I thought Grace was pretty good defensively when paired with Grant last year. I like him better defending a forward than a center. I'd love top see Walz earn the backup 5 time.
I think would be very good for future years if Walz can get some meaningful minutes this season. Will be interesting with Reed coming in, b/c Reed certainly seems like a stretch 4 type, but also looks like a classic TJ/Golden type in the high post, scoring, passing, making decsions - moreso than Walz.

The footspeed of Grace is my concern on the perimeter guarding more athletic forwards. Remember last year - Cayo was our 4. Do you think if Grace had to defend Cayo on the perimeter he could stay with him? Probably not.

BUT - that is in a strict man-to-man set defense. Maybe with Quinn and Grace - we go back to the "amoeba" like defense and switch everything and have certain stay principles. This confused teams early on in Mooney's tenure, but then I think they caught on a bit and I also think our lack of experienced players playing together hurt communication - which is highly needed in that defensive scheme. But in that scheme - you could survive with Grace and Quinn, but have to be smart about it. And the ultimate fear with that defense is communication and familiarity - which I don't think we have with so many new players.

Cayo is not the kind of player that would concern me if Grace was covering him on the perimeter. that's actually the perfect matchup.
Right. Grace could play off of him because he has zero outside shot. Grace will struggle more with athletic forwards who can shoot. He will have to play them tight but runs the risk of being beat off the dribble, when he does. Definite concerns on the defensive end in certain situations with these two on the court at the same time. There will be times though when it certainly plays in our favor as well.

Mooney has to recognize those times quickly and make sure we have the right match-ups on the court.

Reactions: SpiderGuy
I think this is a whole lot of worrying about nothing. How many teams will have 2 stud athletic forward types out there? Very very few. This isn't the NBA where you need to worry about 5 solid scoring options out there. Playing against 3 guards? No worries, Grace and Quinn take the bigs. 4 guards? No worries, Grace can take the least active or worst 3 point shooter out there. Grace did fine defensively last year, and will do fine this year.

Last edited:
I think this is a whole lot of worrying about nothing. How many teams will have 2 stud athletic forward types out there? Very very few. This isn't the NBA where you need to worry about 5 solid scoring options out there. Playing against 3 guards? No worries, Grace and Quinn take the bigs? 4 guards? No worries, Grace can take the least active or worst 3 point shooter out there. Grace did fine defensively last year, and will do fine this year.
Grace did fine at times in certain match-ups in a reduced minutes center roll last year. Much different playing starter minutes at the forward this year, where he will be matched up against typically quicker and more athletic players.

Grace did fine at times in certain match-ups in a reduced minutes center roll last year. Much different playing starter minutes at the forward this year, where he will be matched up against typically quicker and more athletic players.
But, who though? It's not like we will be playing teams that have 2 Tyler Burtons out there.

But, who though? It's not like we will be playing teams that have 2 Tyler Burtons out there.
athletic forwards who can shoot from outside could be problems.
Camara from Dayton
Gaines at GMU
Lindo at GW
Drame at Fordham
Perkins or whoever Matt covers on SLU
possibly Johns from VCU

athletic forwards who can shoot from outside could be problems.
Camara from Dayton
Gaines at GMU
Lindo at GW
Drame at Fordham
Perkins or whoever Matt covers on SLU
possibly Johns from VCU
Why would Grace be guarding them?

I would say Matt will prob not be there the whole time...Zay will be there too and we know that he is much more athletic. Matt could then slide to the 5 to give Neal a break. We will see that some I"m pretty sure.

I would say Matt will prob not be there the whole time...Zay will be there too and we know that he is much more athletic. Matt could then slide to the 5 to give Neal a break. We will see that some I"m pretty sure.
agreed. there's 10-15 minutes at the 5 when Quinn is out which goes to Matt unless Walz earns some of it.

?
because Quinn has the 5 so Matt's covering the bigger forward. I don't think we want him covering the smaller forward.
As usual, you are assuming every team will have a PG, SG, SF, PF, and C. How many "bigger forwards" would we really have to worry about here? This PF position you talk about so often is just not that common anymore. And most big guys who are super athletic are in the power conferences anyway. With Goose and Tyler out there, we should be in good shape guarding opponents' athleticism.

As usual, you are assuming every team will have a PG, SG, SF, PF, and C. How many "bigger forwards" would we really have to worry about here? This PF position you talk about so often is just not that common anymore. And most big guys who are super athletic are in the power conferences anyway. With Goose and Tyler out there, we should be in good shape guarding opponents' athleticism.
you just asked who he'd have trouble guarding! you asked "But, who though?" I didn't realize that was rhetorical. I went to A10 teams' projected starting lineups. these are some guys who Matt might have some trouble defending. they're the bigger forwards starting on their teams. he has to cover someone and he's starting next to Quinn. who do you propose he cover on these teams?

this reminds me of when I said we always recruit to have 3 guys on the roster who can play the 5, and 3 that can play the 1. you argued some nonsense about nobody having numbered positions. just take the best guy.
then what a surprise ... we add Smith and Reed in this class so we have 3 guys who can play the 5 and 3 who can play the 1 again.

Dayton rolls out Holmes and Camara as their bigs against Quinn and Grace. We can adjust and move Tyler up to cover Camara, but those two Flyers are going to be on the court a lot together, so that largely reduces Grace to a Quinn backup there unless we think he's quick enough to cover Camara.

Dayton won't be the only team that can roll out an athletic big (call him a 4 or not if you like) alongside another big (athletic or traditional, call him a 5 or not).

Last edited:
he might get beat on the perimeter some but at least Neal's behind him.
not Matt's fault inside. he's just a little light at the 5 against the bigger guys. but I'm sure he'll play there some and do fine.
6’11” 250 is a little light?

I define positions 1 through 5 by size not by skills or what they are asked to do.

Therefore, if both us and our opponents have 5 players on the court and no players on the same team are the same size, I still believe there will be a second biggest player...

Unless Mathmatics has changed. or is it Physics?

Dayton rolls out Holmes and Camara as their bigs against Quinn and Grace. We can adjust and move Tyler up to cover Camara, but those two Flyers are going to be on the court a lot together, so that largely reduces Grace to a Quinn backup there unless we think he's quick enough to cover Camara.

Dayton won't be the only team that can roll out an athletic big (call him a 4 or not if you like) alongside another big (athletic or traditional, call him a 5 or not).
That’s fair

you just asked who he'd have trouble guarding! you asked "But, who though?" I didn't realize that was rhetorical. I went to A10 teams' projected starting lineups. these are some guys who Matt might have some trouble defending. they're the bigger forwards starting on their teams. he has to cover someone and he's starting next to Quinn. who do you propose he cover on these teams?

this reminds me of when I said we always recruit to have 3 guys on the roster who can play the 5, and 3 that can play the 1. you argued some nonsense about nobody having numbered positions. just take the best guy.
then what a surprise ... we add Smith and Reed in this class so we have 3 guys who can play the 5 and 3 who can play the 1 again.
OMG. Are you really going there after YOU were the one who was wrong in that debate? That is unreal. My, goodness I cannot believe what I just read.

Okay. This is crazy, so I have to respond. I never said anything about 3 guys playing the 1, and you didn't either. I never said any "nonsense" about no one having numbered positions during that debate. Never! What you said was we always will have 3 guys playing the 5, so we have to offer a big after we offered Smith. I said, no we don't. That was the debate. We did not debate how many 1s we should have and we did not debate numbered positions. I said 2 bigs is plenty and we should get the best guy here, not focus only on a big. I mentioned we have done fine with 2 bigs for a few years now. You said we wouldn't even offer a top 150 guyin Bizjack because after Smith, we had to have a big. That is when I was thinking you were way out there with this. You mentioned that we always have 3 and recuit for 3. I said, what? Get any 3rd big who might not even play instead of Bizjack? You said yes. You then said some nonsense about how Sal was our 3rd guy to guard a big. ??? Yes, all 180 pounds of him? If Mooney recruited to always have 3 guys guard a big like you say, I seriously doubt he would have been factoring in Sal for that spot.

So, YOU were talking about recuiting only bigs after we landed Smith. YOU said we would not offer Bizjack or anyone else. Then, we stayed after Bizjack, added Tanner and you said, okay, now we will definitely be only recruiting bigs now. Yet, I did not get on you for being wrong. And, after all this, we were still after Ball and Durkin. Yet, I still didn't jump all over you for being wrong. You, know, I kept it classy, unlike this lie filled post of yours. I didn't want to play the I told you so game, but others on here pointed out you were wrong. I think you were the only one on here who felt if we lose a wing and a big, we have to 100% no questions asked, add a wing and a big. As if anyone has ever recruited position for position exactly 100% that way. And, then you get on here and post this crap? That is just wrong, man.

Last edited:
I define positions 1 through 5 by size not by skills or what they are asked to do.

Therefore, if both us and our opponents have 5 players on the court and no players on the same team are the same size, I still believe there will be a second biggest player...

Unless Mathmatics has changed. or is it Physics?
Sure, there will be a 2nd biggest player, but what rule says Grace automatically has to guard him? I thought we could find our best match ups and guard accordingly.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT