ADVERTISEMENT

Scheduling ideas

VCU opens with Iowa State in their MTE...#25 last year NET and #47 preseason Torvik. Q1 by both measures.

Then they get either #53/#75 Virginia Tech, which would be a Q2, or #34/#65 Boise State, which would be a Q1 under NET or Q2 under Torvik.

And then of course one more game.

I thought Iowa St had multiple A10 transfers last season, but their roster only lists one.

They had Holmes, Ossunniyi, and Ward last year. Only Ward has eligibility left for this year.

They had Holmes, Ossunniyi, and Ward last year. Only Ward has eligibility left for this year.
I thought so, but after a quick look on their site, it seemed like they took our idea and removed the other two from the 2022-2023 roster since they had no eligibility remaining. ;)

Apparently just a weird scrolling glitch...

Don't think this was known yet, but the BC game is on 11/15.

Here's what I've got for our dates. W&M should be the only unknown date now unless I missed it somewhere.

11/8 VMI
11/11 Siena (Sunshine Slam campus game)
11/15 at Boston College
11/20 vs. Colorado (Sunshine Slam first round)
11/21 vs. UNLV or Florida St. (Sunshine Slam second round)
11/25 Queens
11/29 at Wichita State
12/6 at Northern Iowa
12/9 vs. Florida (Sunrise)
12/16 Charlotte
12/21 Buffalo

TBD W&M
TBD Lafayette

Looks like three gaps in December where the W&M and Lafayette games might be...early December between our trips west, early in week of 12/10 (but that's exam week so probably unlikely), or after Christmas before A-10 play starts. Last year's W&M game was December 3.

Last edited:
Don't think this was known yet, but the BC game is on 11/15.

Here's what I've got for our dates. W&M should be the only unknown date now unless I missed it somewhere.

11/8 VMI
11/11 Siena (Sunshine Slam campus game)
11/15 at Boston College
11/20 vs. Colorado (Sunshine Slam first round)
11/21 vs. UNLV or Florida St. (Sunshine Slam second round)
11/25 Queens
11/29 at Wichita State
12/6 at Northern Iowa
12/9 vs. Florida (Sunrise)
12/16 Charlotte
12/21 Buffalo

TBD W&M

Looks like three gaps in December where that W&M game might be...early December between our trips west, early in week of 12/10 (but that's exam week so probably unlikely), or after Christmas before A-10 play starts. Last year's game was December 3.
A lot of the names on this schedule have been good in recent history. This would be a killer schedule for the 15/16 season.

• Haha
Reactions: gospidersgo
Last year, we played games on Dec. 10th, 13th, and 17th, so that week seems fine. Our 1st IC game was Dec. 31 last year, so, if not around Dec. 12/13, I would guess Lafayette would fall in after the Buffalo game, maybe Wednesday Dec. 27, if our 1st IC game is Saturday, Dec. 30th. W&M looks like it has Saturday, Dec. 2 written all over it, unless maybe they already have a game that day. Then, we could switch those 2 if that would work and play Lafayette Dec. 2 and W&M late December.

I agree with the 3 gaps, and would assume we are looking at Dec 2, Dec 12th or 13th, and Dec. 27th. The 26th is too close to Christmas and the 28th might be too close to our IC opener, if it is on the 30th.

Vt - the a10 schedule starts later this year in early Jan, maybe the 3rd. Probably how the calendar falls. All of the a10 teams non conf schedules that have been released like vcu Dayton GW uri st joes etc. play an ooc game on Dec 29 or 30. We’ll be the same.

my guess is we’ll play Lafayette 1 of those same days our last ooc game and W&M will be one of the earlier Dec dates referenced likely the Dec 2.

Reactions: VT4700
Vt - the a10 schedule starts later this year in early Jan, maybe the 3rd. Probably how the calendar falls. All of the a10 teams non conf schedules that have been released like vcu Dayton GW uri st joes etc. play an ooc game on Dec 29 or 30. We’ll be the same.

my guess is we’ll play Lafayette 1 of those same days our last ooc game and W&M will be one of the earlier Dec dates referenced likely the Dec 2.
Thanks, didn't realize that.

Also, the academic calendar jumped 6 days this year to "reset" things. Exams were December 5–13 last year, so we had one game during on the 10th and one game on the last day when pretty much everyone was already done.

This year, exams are December 11–19 and we've already got the Charlotte game on the 16th in the middle of that. Don't see us scheduling a game right at the beginning of exams on the 12th or 13th, and then probably not enough space to squeeze one in between Charlotte and Buffalo.

So yeah, I agree probably one in the early window (my guess is also W&M like last year) and then one (Lafayette by process of "elimination") around the 28th–30th. Coppin State was 12/28 last year even with our first A-10 game being 12/31.

Are we really playing a D2 school in the middle of our OOC schedule? Queens College?
Queens University is entering their second transition year in D-I. Their #202 NET last season was better than about half the other teams on this year's OOC schedule for us. They'd be second behind Charlotte among our home games.

The best part about that whole schedule post on the Richmond Athletics site was our red uniform! Love the shorts. Maybe we're finally settling in to Adidas and we can get rid of those hoop "u" designs on the shorts.

The best part about that whole schedule post on the Richmond Athletics site was our red uniform! Love the shorts. Maybe we're finally settling in to Adidas and we can get rid of those hoop "u" designs on the shorts.
100% !
is that Tanner?

100% !
is that Tanner?

Yes. definitely a new design on the shorts away from the U design (last 2 years?) as Fan mentioned. I like that change too. Tho never been big fan of the red unis especially bc those always had the Spider logo on front of jersey only. Love the Spider logo but I do think we should spell out Richmond or Spiders on chest. Whites or Blues please.

If we have any at-large hopes (do we? probably not, but let's pretend), we need at least 9 and probably 10 or 11 wins out of this. I know that won't happen, but there's really no reason it shouldn't. Win all the home games and 2-3 others.

A win means absolutely nothing A loss is devastating. Why do we schedule this way?
This is not a good schedule, but considering expectations are low for this team - it might be just the right schedule for this team.

We have 3 good games with 2 in Daytona Beach and 1 vs. Florida. Wichita State, Northern Iowa, and BC are our hopeful games as these teams were .500 teams last year, but hopefully they improve this year and help us out, especially if we win 1 of these games. The rest are really not so good - but games we should expect to win most of them. Charlotte had a good record last year, but thats about it.

Best case scenario - we win 1 of the 3 good games (Florida or 2 games in Daytona Beach). We win 1 from the Wichita State, Northern Iowa, or BC games. And then win 6 of the remaining 7 games. That would put us at 8-5 entering A10 play - which I think given this roster and unknowns - might be a good place to begin A10 play.

We are not scheduling for an at-large, we are scheduling for wins. Makes perfect sense in that regard.

Schedule to aim for 9+ wins OOC with a few challenge games...harder when we're good, weaker when we're bad. Hopefully it pans out most years, but not always.

Reactions: urfan1
We are not scheduling for an at-large, we are scheduling for wins. Makes perfect sense in that regard.

Schedule to aim for 9+ wins OOC with a few challenge games...harder when we're good, weaker when we're bad. Hopefully it pans out most years, but not always.
Agree - this is likely scheduling to the team we have and scheduling wins. BUT - with that comes a risk. Because we looks at this schedule and I think majority would agree - this is a weak schedule. SO then you better win these weak games, or else you have no excuse. Whereas if you schedule difficult - you will lose more, but you have more of an explanation for the losses. Pros and cons each way. But I agree SF - I think we are looking at this schedule and the aim is 8-9+ wins, if not - we are in big trouble and that 2nd to last place predicted A10 finish might not be far off.

I don't think we are "scheduling for wins" at all here. If so, why play 3 and possibly 4 power teams? Why play quality mid majors? Why play games away from home against BC, Florida, Wichita, and No. Iowa in addition to the tourney we are in? This schedule seems very similar to most of our OOC schedules.....a mixture of some easy ones (who everyone plays), some toss ups, and some quality games against some high majors and mid majors. This is a very good schedule, and one of the better OOC schedules in the A-10.

And, doing well enough in OOC will no question put us in position for an at large going into conference play. How can you say we are not scheduling for an at large? If we go 10-3 or better with this schedule (even the 9+ you mentioned if we get the right wins), we would be in great shape going into conference play.

Last edited:
Agree - this is likely scheduling to the team we have and scheduling wins. BUT - with that comes a risk. Because we looks at this schedule and I think majority would agree - this is a weak schedule. SO then you better win these weak games, or else you have no excuse. Whereas if you schedule difficult - you will lose more, but you have more of an explanation for the losses. Pros and cons each way. But I agree SF - I think we are looking at this schedule and the aim is 8-9+ wins, if not - we are in big trouble and that 2nd to last place predicted A10 finish might not be far off.
Damn if you do or damn if you don’t! I really hope we have good fortunes, I will always look at the glass half full! 🕷️🕷️🕷️

I don't think we are "scheduling for wins" at all here. If so, why play 3 and possibly 4 power teams? Why play quality mid majors? This schedule seems very similar to most of our OOC schedules.....a mixture of real easy ones (who everyone plays), some toss ups, and some quality games against some high majors and mid majors. This is a very good schedule, and one of the better OOC schedules in the A-10.

And, doing well enough in OOC will no question put us in position for an at large going into conference play. How can you say we are not scheduling for an at large? If we go 10-3 or better with this schedule, we would be in great shape going into conference play.

sunshine, unicorns, and rainbows

As always we won't know what are good games and what aren't until January. Dayton would have been a great offseason OOC game before last season, top 25 preseason, until they tanked their OOC and beating them became not so impressive. Same for Richmond, coming off an NCAA team, with a good transfer class coming in and a projected 1st team all-A10 and NBA prospect on the wing. Things change.

Reactions: urmite
I don’t really understand the comments on weak schedule & scheduling for wins. Look I’m an advocate for scheduling a hard OOC, & wish it were stronger. I want U of R to schedule for at large possibility every season. Cuz u never know. but I don’t see it falling in the weak category either. Above average to average is my guess if u go purely by ooc sos. Tho 1 reason I like scheduling harder is the deterioration of the A10. Agree that it’s similar to our other ooc schedules. Also less than half r “cupcake” games. Think we have 1 too many of those but every year you’ll have at least 4-5 minimum. U schedule expected wins every year. Expect we’ll be a dog in every road & neutral game. I agree the home schedule is not very fun as a fan. Charlotte is solid that’s it. We need to work to get 1 marquee ooc game at home every year imo. We need to look at 2 for 1s. I believe BC was that. we r finishing up series up there that was delayed. they r not coming back to RC next year. We need to work on that & the MTE tourneys where we take on a bad game (this year Siena) consistently. Get in the 3 good game MTEs & u get more flexibility.

Of course it could end up worse or better. Like Brownstone said we won’t know for certain until well into season so u can only go by history & projections.

The schedule isn't bad. It's good enough that if we win 10 or 11 and then have a top-3 Atlantic 10 finish, we could be in the at-large mix. Most years, that would be the case too. The problem usually is that instead of going 11-2, we go 8-5.

Reactions: urfan1 and VT4700
The schedule isn't bad. It's good enough that if we win 10 or 11 and then have a top-3 Atlantic 10 finish, we could be in the at-large mix. Most years, that would be the case too. The problem usually is that instead of going 11-2, we go 8-5.
Agree 100%. I don't think our OOC schedule has ever cost us an at large. We went 12- 6 and 13-5 IC in 2015 and 2017, but struggled with 7-6 and 6-6 OOC records those years. The schedule is always at large worthy. We just need to win.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT