ADVERTISEMENT

Ryan Odom new VCU coach

I'm so tired of reading from our own fans how much you respect everything about VCU.

I get it. they've won more than we have. but can you all stop kissing their ass every freaking day? if I want a VCU lovefest I'll go to their board.

"oh, they lost their coach and their whole team is in the portal but they'll still beat us 3 times every year because they care and they state their goals".
waaaaaaa. our fan base has gotten pathetic. VCU fans read this crap. have some pride.

This is the desired effect. Unfortunately, I fear sman is not the desired target of this effect. The desired targets are on facebook in their own little pity party group. We are just trying to bubble it up the ladder.

Love the success of the VCU program, wish it would motivate our's more. #RVA

I'm so tired of reading from our own fans how much you respect everything about VCU.

I get it. they've won more than we have. but can you all stop kissing their ass every freaking day? if I want a VCU lovefest I'll go to their board.

"oh, they lost their coach and their whole team is in the portal but they'll still beat us 3 times every year because they care and they state their goals".
waaaaaaa. our fan base has gotten pathetic. VCU fans read this crap. have some pride.
Our fan base is following the lead of our athletic department and school administrators.

With all due respect, we should have gotten Odom 4 years ago, after his team defeated UVA. IIRC, his Utah State team handily defeated our team.
Guess we should have gone for San Fran's coach, Ohio's, Navy's, JMU's, and Furman's. They have all beaten UVA the past 3 years. Funny they didn't land any job they wanted after that, but wow, if VCU gets Odom.......LOL.

Perhaps Rhoades will come here if he gets canned from Penn State.

After all, when he was hired at VCU, he said it was 'his dream job and he was glad to be back home.'

But only after Mooney moves on the bigger, greener pastures.

Reactions: WestEndEd

Our program is a joke by choice. Comments like lowering expectations and transition years don't exist in programs serious about winning. Neither does a coach who hasn't won a league championship entering his 19th season. It's totally ridiculous! I'm glad something actually pisses you off sman. But it shouldn't be at the fans that want better for the program. It should be directed squarely at the leadership of the school and program that allow UR to operate like it does.

With all due respect, we should have gotten Odom 4 years ago, after his team defeated UVA. IIRC, his Utah State team handily defeated our team.
We should have gotten Odom instead of Mooney originally. We are a much bigger program than Wake Forest or South Carolina...

I agree with you Sman. As much as the criticism of our coach, AD and Administration is warranted, I don't understand the fawning over VCU. As much as it kills me losing to them on a regular basis, I'd rather go winless against them than trade my UR diploma for a VCU one. With the admiration shown by some, it seems like some of the posters on here wish they had gone to VCU.

Perhaps Rhoades will come here if he gets canned from Penn State.

After all, when he was hired at VCU, he said it was 'his dream job and he was glad to be back home.'

But only after Mooney moves on the bigger, greener pastures.
has the Sweet 16 Princeton coach Henderson received any P6 interest? Are there any attractive P6 openings left for him?

Coach Mooney could slide right into that Princeton job and complete his Princeton legacy!

Go Spiders!

Hard to be prideful when you are 8-24.

Reactions: 8legs1dream
has the Sweet 16 Princeton coach Henderson received any P6 interest? Are there any attractive P6 openings left for him?

Coach Mooney could slide right into that Princeton job and complete his Princeton legacy!

Go Spiders!
I like your thinking here MOJO. Alas, I don't think Princeton can match the 1.3 mil + Mooney gets here. And Mooney would lose the academics excuse because it's all difficult in the Ivy. Heck, I thought Brian Dutcher made less than Mooney and just read the article that he makes 1.2 million. I remember when he was hired, I thought these coach in waiting rarely work out. Missed NCAA'S but grew on me right away when he spoke how it was not acceptable and he was going to get them back. And he did and more. That is what is so frustrating with the current regime, seems to be lack of goals and inability to figure out how to adapt and excel

Our program is a joke by choice. Comments like lowering expectations and transition years don't exist in programs serious about winning. Neither does a coach who hasn't won a league championship entering his 19th season. It's totally ridiculous! I'm glad something actually pisses you off sman. But it shouldn't be at the fans that want better for the program. It should be directed squarely at the leadership of the school and program that allow UR to operate like it does.

exactly, they lose the coach and the entire team and they are right back at it 3 days later with the same goals of winning. Would never fly here, we would milk those excuses for years and years.

Reactions: WestEndEd
I agree with you Sman. As much as the criticism of our coach, AD and Administration is warranted, I don't understand the fawning over VCU. As much as it kills me losing to them on a regular basis, I'd rather go winless against them than trade my UR diploma for a VCU one. With the admiration shown by some, it seems like some of the posters on here wish they had gone to VCU.
VCU is our clear rival who also plays in Richmond. It is natural to compare our basketball program to theirs. Unfortunately, there hasn’t been much comparison over the past 15 years. There’s no reason why we shouldn’t want our program to be better and to have the success against them that they have had against us. Your “well why don’t you marry them” argument makes no sense. Nobody is saying we wish we stayed in their dorms, took their classes, or had their campus. Forgetting everything else, wouldn’t you trade our record the past 15 years for theirs?

It was very telling that the vcu president spoke directly about how winning matters and is important. I have never heard anyone from our school say that in those terms. We only talk about competing.
I happened to catch Odom’s introductory press conference while driving on Friday. Lots of synergy between the school President, AD, and the basketball program. Their AD literally said “We are going to win a national championship here at VCU, I truly believe that”. Maybe our fans laugh at that statement but they have already made a Final Four as a program and in the current landscape of college basketball (transfers making teams “old” immediately) all you have to do is consistently get into the tournament and you’ve got a chance. VCU does that. We, on the other hand, consistently double down on a coach who has never finished higher than 3rd in the A-10 over an 18 year sample size. I don’t know how you can’t respect what they are doing and be pretty disheartened about our lack of ambition and dare I say vision. Doesn’t mean we don’t have a wonderful school, beautiful campus, great students, etc but our actions (or inactiions) clearly show that we aren’t trying to win big.

To keep it in perspective one year before we hosted VCU at the Robins Center some enterprising Spider fan hung a roll of toilet paper in the Ambulatory and a sign that said :"VCU diploma, take one." Being tired of getting our comeuppance on the basketball court against them doesn't mean we have failed to keep our UR education in perspective!

I couldn't give two craps who the VCU coach is. They're still VDU to me and always will be. And to all of you "I can't wait to get our asses kicked again" posters - sheesh, stop the defeatist crap. And I know, most of you just want CM fired (I wouldn't mind a new coach myself) but I think we've learned that your keyboard-warrioring hasn't done crap to make that happen.

EDIT - apparently "crap" is my favorite word today. Happy Monday!

Reactions: BillyWayne
I couldn't give two craps who the VCU coach is. They're still VDU to me and always will be. And to all of you "I can't wait to get our asses kicked again" posters - sheesh, stop the defeatist crap. And I know, most of you just want CM fired (I wouldn't mind a new coach myself) but I think we've learned that your keyboard-warrioring hasn't done crap to make that happen.

EDIT - apparently "crap" is my favorite word today. Happy Monday!
This took a crap ton of work.

Serious question guys: Don't you have a few hedge fund guys in your alumni base? Couldn't they just buy a few good players via NIL and put you guys right on top of the a10? Why do you think this hasn't happened yet?

Reactions: Spiders4ever
Serious question guys: Don't you have a few hedge fund guys in your alumni base? Couldn't they just buy a few good players via NIL and put you guys right on top of the a10? Why do you think this hasn't happened yet?

Well it’s not supposed to work that way. & there r hedge fund guys everywhere.

Reactions: SpiderDogg
We already have a successful hedge-fund guy who gives a lot of money to the program but he's unpopular on this board.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT