ADVERTISEMENT

Robins Center Attendance Watch

MolivaManiac

Spider's Club
Feb 8, 2004
Last season, we average 6492 attendees over 15 home games.

So far this season, we are averaging 5764. That includes our largest attendance of 6851 for the STFU-BKN schoolchildren game at 11am on a Tuesday.

Will be interesting to track along with any noticeable changes since last season. Largest difference to date is we sold out (7201) the Delaware opener last year and had 6717 for the Longwood opener this year.

Being down 33 to Delaware at home sucked the oxygen out of the season.

I opened this thread hoping that they were handing out watches at the Robins Center to boost attendance. Oh well.

Reactions: Spider93
Baby race, the mascot basketball game, and the trampoline guys are the highlights of the year for me.

BTW, my heart goes out to the Anthem singer last night. Hope she made it to class today.

Reactions: Ram Bal and urfan1
That was really rough. I don’t recall anyone ever failing to make it through the anthem at a spiders game. Trouble with the lyrics, sure, but full bore China syndrome meltdown? That was a first for me.

Fortunately, the sun also rises.

That was really rough. I don’t recall anyone ever failing to make it through the anthem at a spiders game. Trouble with the lyrics, sure, but full bore China syndrome meltdown? That was a first for me.

Fortunately, the sun also rises.
Was thinking Mooney might step up and have his Mo Cheeks moment and save the day. Alas, he did what I expected him to do and stare at the poor girl blankly.

Reactions: Spider2020
VCU game will sell out. I will still burn my tickets before selling them to a VDU fan, but my seat maybe empty.
Why not sell the tickets and donate the money to a good cause (not UR basketball). There are lots of great charities in Richmond.

Was thinking Mooney might step up and have his Mo Cheeks moment and save the day. Alas, he did what I expected him to do and stare at the poor girl blankly.

Thing I noticed about Mooney is that he didn't even go and check on Nick when he was down on the court and hurt. He had the rest of the team halfway on the Court drawing up plays. That right there showed me he is out to save his own skin and not the well being of his own players.

Reactions: 97spiderfan
Why not sell the tickets and donate the money to a good cause (not UR basketball). There are lots of great charities in Richmond.
Rather burn them, than to have a wet sheep sit in my seat. I am looking after my fellow fans. Nothing worse than sitting next to a VDU fan in your own building.

Thing I noticed about Mooney is that he didn't even go and check on Nick when he was down on the court and hurt. He had the rest of the team halfway on the Court drawing up plays. That right there showed me he is out to save his own skin and not the well being of his own players.
Thst sux!

oh stop. there's plenty of ammunition if you hate Mooney. when a player goes down, the coach's job is to gather the players and plan. the trainer takes care of the injured player.

it's wrong and ridiculous to say Mooney doesn't care for his guys.

Reactions: Ulla1 and nathanw19
Well, he did race across the court last year to check on Buck last year when he went down during the VCU game.

Mooney is going to have a meltdown at some point this season. He has incredibly thin skin for a head coach. This is getting to him. Mark my words, it is going to happen.

Mooney is going to have a meltdown at some point this season. He has incredibly thin skin for a head coach. This is getting to him. Mark my words, it is going to happen.

At this point, I would not mind a double technical and ejection. The thin skin thing is very accurate, which is the real reason he would not respond to the message to fans question. He is pissed at the fans for criticizing him.

Reactions: Not-A-Homer
At this point, I would not mind a double technical and ejection. The thin skin thing is very accurate, which is the real reason he would not respond to the message to fans question. He is pissed at the fans for criticizing him.
To be fair, I don’t think there is a person, especially a professional coach, that enjoys being constantly criticized and told that they’re terrible and should be fired.

I think he should’ve answered the question, because it was a softball, but I would expect him not to be happy that he’s being constantly criticized. Everyone would be.

Reactions: plydogg and KWeaver
To be fair, I don’t think there is a person, especially a professional coach, that enjoys being constantly criticized and told that they’re terrible and should be fired.

I think he should’ve answered the question, because it was a softball, but I would expect him not to be happy that he’s being constantly criticized. Everyone would be.
Of course; however, he's a smart guy and should realize why he's being criticized. And that no one is calling him a horrible human being. He's being paid a ridiculous sum of money to not win basketball games. It's a public-spotlight position. He should have anticipated that if it went south, he would face this. And I'm not suggesting that you are taking up for him at all, just to be clear.

We listened to the Spider Sportsline on Monday night at the dinner table and my wife made the same comment that he sounds like someone that is about to 'snap'. She usually has a pretty good gauge on these things.

We listened to the Spider Sportsline on Monday night at the dinner table and my wife made the same comment that he sounds like someone that is about to 'snap'. She usually has a pretty good gauge on these things.

He may "spring a leak" - the water drinking has become even more compulsive during games and all that water has to go somewhere...............

Wow. That's pretty telling since no one challenges him at all on Sportsline.

I was gonna at first, but now that I think about it I don't think that I will Attends tonight.
Just sayin'.

He did go no jacket for a quarter season a few yrs ago -- his version of a "win one for the gipper" moment.

Then he did the Q&A at the end of the bball signing party last yr. He was acting like he was in the WH Briefing Room with Acosta.

I don't think he can handle the heat that's being thrown at him.

I'll set O/U for technicals this season at 5.

12-15 million in the bank makes some people a little arrogant.

The crowd was decent in person but didn't really get amped up except when the scoreboard told it to. Not much in the way of cheering when Mooney's record was announced afterwards. Polite applause, I would say.

Last edited:
Thanks - you could hear the PA announcement made on the TV broadcast, but NBCSW started in their music. Sounded like polite applause.

It was noticeably a smaller crowd than would be expected. Battle of losing programs that desperately need shake-ups.

I think this may have been asked and answered, but did they change the rule about having a seat if you're up in one of the terraces? Don't know how full they were. During the Hampton game only 1 was occupied during the game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT