ADVERTISEMENT

Robbie Beran - 2019 Offer

As a JRT grad I'm not sure if I should wish Robbie the best in his new opportunity or excoriate him for quitting on his Tigers teammates. Joining the Spiders would do a lot to solve my dilemma however.

I did not see any video highlights on this recruit, so hopefully someone can post a link or two. From what I just read, he sounds like he would definitely be a strong student and leader (given the other teams he is being recruited by and the fact that he was student body President 2-3 hears at Tucker). That is always a good start. If he can play some strong hoops too, I hope we show him some love.

I watched him play several times last season. He's long with a very good feel for the game. He can handle the ball and has a terrific looking jumper. Del Harris, Collegiate's coach, used to be on the Richmond staff and has had several other stints in the college ranks. He is a very good coach and I think has a philosophy that will mesh nicely with CM. Robbie can score in bunches and can play well above the rim. My only negative is that for a kid who passed the eyeball test so easily he didn't always dominate. Granted two of the games were against a loaded Trinity team but I would have liked to see him be more consistent. I like this kid a lot though and I had hoped we were interested in him.

I really like what I have seen in the videos and I love that he has offers from some strong academic schools, suggesting that he will be a strong student as well as a potential leader on the court.

UR's connections to the Collegiate coaching staff could also be a positive. I hope he visits frequently and that he likes the players on the team and that he commits early. He is the kind of versatile player that Richmond loves, and his shooting stroke is a thing of beauty. If anybody has is junior year stats, including 3-point shooting % and FT shooting percentages, that would also be good information to look at....

Wow I'm getting old, I can tell because thru these old eyes the college basketball recruits look like they are 14. Mr. Beran looks like he could be a great addition.

Going after these kids way too late. Gotta build relationships early. Would be a perfect fit. After his Boston College ACC offer I'd say he's heading another direction. Same thing gonna happen with that 6'11 Smith kid from Trinity that's a 2020 playing on Beran's 2019 AAU Squad.

Going after these kids way too late. Gotta build relationships early. Would be a perfect fit. After his Boston College ACC offer I'd say he's heading another direction. Same thing gonna happen with that 6'11 Smith kid from Trinity that's a 2020 playing on Beran's 2019 AAU Squad.
couldn't offer earlier. he wasn't an A10 level kid until recently. we were his best offer when we offered.

ok, but he's going to find the best fit for himself. it's not going to matter that Mt St Mary's was talking to him earlier. he knows Richmond. we should be an exciting offer to him. he'll give us a long look.

It's not the offer. It's the contact with kid, parents, coach. Use the live periods to build relationships. Don't wait and start a relationship when it's offer time. Also got to pay attention to where these kids are physically and where they can get to with college-level training. Yeah he may not have an A-10 body now, but neither did Frank Kaminsky or Gordon Hayward back then. Any kid in our backyard that remotely has any D1 potential should be getting a lot of contact early. When it comes time to offer or not, if you are going to offer you already have a strong relationship.

The other thing is where are the unofficial visits at? All these other schools are bringing these kids all over the place. Go to Twitter and put in unofficial visits 2019 Richmond. You won't see any activity outside of the fact that Beran just went to William and Mary this week. They're not scared off by Boston College because they know the kid as smart as $&==% and actually may value education.

I don't know when we first contacted Beran. but his better offers all came recently.

not sure your point on Burke Smith. the 1st day of contact for 2020's was 6/15 of this year. here's who he heard from on 6/15:

Jack Herron‏@jwherron10
[URL='https://twitter.com/jwherron10/status/1007749270001389573']Jun 15
[/URL]
2020 Burke Smith of Trinity Episcopal/TRGR 17 Elite. Heard from these schools today: Brown Columbia (offer) Davidson George Mason George Washington Lafayette Liberty Richmond St. Joseph’s UNC Charlotte William & Mary Yale Per @delharrisbball #VaHoops

Yes these schools called that kid, but you can do unofficial visits well before that. That kid has already been on unofficial visits to Pitt and Wake Forest last year. I know for a fact he went to George Washington before June 15 because a friend of mine knows the dad but nobody tweeted it out.

Yes these schools called that kid, but you can do unofficial visits well before that. That kid has already been on unofficial visits to Pitt and Wake Forest last year. I know for a fact he went to George Washington before June 15 because a friend of mine knows the dad but nobody tweeted it out.
Burke was at UR two days ago.

Reactions: plydogg
there must be certain times when you can do unofficials. I tried to take my son to W&M this spring while at an AAU tournament in Hampton. AAU coach called an assistant there who said he'd love to show us around but they can't because we were in a quiet period (or dead period, I can't remember).
of course ... now it's after 6/15 and they still haven't reached out, but that's a separate problem I think!

Can't argue his list. Certainly way better
couldn't offer earlier. he wasn't an A10 level kid until recently. we were his best offer when we offered.
None of our 2018 recruits except Sol we're A-10 kids either. That didn't stop us from not only offering them but signing them as well. We can put a fork in this kid, he has ACC offers and seems to be blowing up. That is a death blow for Mooney.

Agreed. A kid as smart as Beran probably will be looking at the whole experience, I would think a Richmond education and being able to play and probably start for 4 years straight would be very attractive while also staying local.

1) Gilyard - Jr
2) Francis - Jr
3) Sherod - Sr
4) Koureissi - So
5) Golden - Jr

with Cayo, Verbinskis, Wojcik, Yates, Schneider, Gustavson and Grace

I'm with you and I get your point, but I'm not handing him a starting job freshman year! Ease him in a let him compete for Sherod's job as a sophomore.

ACC offer ... singular unless I missed one.
like Nick and De'Monte, you always have a shot if a local kid wants to play in front of family.
Really like the upside to Beran. Agree about a local, that is the ONLY chance that Mooney has to sign this guy. In any other case 97 is 100% correct.

The pitch Mooney should be giving to this guy is that big men play a big role on our offense. Look at TJ and Grant. They play a huge role in passing the ball, stretching the perimeter, etc. We play competitive league in the A10, will have one of the best facilities in the conference, and it’s close to home. He would be a great get for our program. Hope the coaching staff can get it done

Reactions: LongTimeSpiderFan
The fact KState offered often signifies the recruit has academic issues; 94.9% acceptance rate.
I don't care if a school has a 100% acceptance rate as that has absolutely no direct bearing on the academics of ANY student!
Ulla, was your comment somehow tongue in cheek, or did you just not think that through or are you going on ignore?

I don't care if a school has a 100% acceptance rate as that has absolutely no direct bearing on the academics of ANY student!
Ulla, was your comment somehow tongue in cheek, or did you just not think that through or are you going on ignore?
LT and 23, my comment was in fact tongue in cheek. I have heard that Robbie is a very good student; cannot imagine he considers K-State.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT