ADVERTISEMENT

Robbie Beran - 2019 Offer

not sure when you want us offering a kid like this, 05. nobody projected him to be an A10 level player before he had a big spring live period and we offered right then. when we offered we were arguably his best offer. I think our timing was fine. and I also assume we were in contact with him before offering, but who knows.

end of April to early May he started getting good offers including ours but he blew up in the summer live period and his offers hit a whole new level. that's unfortunate but not the first time.

still ... people overestimate how important it is to offer super early. kids fall in love with a better offer pretty quickly. if this kid wants to stay home, we're a really good option. but we're not the prettiest girl at the dance now. and that wouldn't change even if we offered him in middle school.
Well stated, spiderman.

Pitt could end up full of guys I wanted as Spiders.

Verbal Commits‏@VerbalCommits 1h1 hour ago
Verbal Commits Retweeted rob

2019 Collegiate (VA) F Robbie Beran has received an offer from Pittsburgh. http://verbalcommits.com/players/robbie-beran…

Verbal Commits added,

Dj8JyG7W0AYdVGj.jpg

rob @REB_0031
Very honored and humbled to receive an offer from Pittsburgh of the ACC!
0 replies1 retweet2 likes

not sure when you want us offering a kid like this, 05. nobody projected him to be an A10 level player before he had a big spring live period and we offered right then. when we offered we were arguably his best offer. I think our timing was fine. and I also assume we were in contact with him before offering, but who knows.

end of April to early May he started getting good offers including ours but he blew up in the summer live period and his offers hit a whole new level. that's unfortunate but not the first time.

still ... people overestimate how important it is to offer super early. kids fall in love with a better offer pretty quickly. if this kid wants to stay home, we're a really good option. but we're not the prettiest girl at the dance now. and that wouldn't change even if we offered him in middle school.
FYI, I think you’re misunderstanding 05’s point. He was reacting to Ullas comment that we were on Beran early and now the big schools are taking notice. We were not terribly early to the party is all.

Reactions: Spiders05
FYI, I think you’re misunderstanding 05’s point. He was reacting to Ullas comment that we were on Beran early and now the big schools are taking notice. We were not terribly early to the party is all.
T, wrong . UR was the first of the Power 10 or 9 or 8 (Ha! i.e. the powerful A10) to offer.

As my grandfather was fond of saying, there’s no arguing with crazy.

One could argue that UR is a major contributor to the elite status to which you refer!
9, my reference was to former CAA members George Mason and vcu of the CAA joining the conference along with the exodus of long time A10 members Xavier and Temple.

I agree that we weren't terribly early, and I don't want to be.
we offered at the right time. unfortunately he blew up after that.

I agree that we weren't terribly early, and I don't want to be.
we offered at the right time. unfortunately he blew up after that.
Agreed although the argument is valid that we may have wanted to be in earlier on a hometown kid. Probably wouldn’t make much of a difference at the end of the day though.

Whoa, 05! Just checked Verbal Commits. Robbie's best offer prior to UR was James Madison! I know you want to get rid of our coaching staff, but, hey, give credit where it is due.
I was on vacation but had to revisit this gem. First of all, 05 is the moderator, and while I would like him to be fully on board with canning Mooney and his underachieving staff, he has consistently played the role of moderating this board and as such has never taken a public stance on what to do with Mooney.

Secondly, now we are suppossed to praise our staff for just offering a kid. There are around 350 D-1 schools, every single coach at this schools can extend offers to whomever they like. Longwood could offer a guy who blows up, does the Longwood coach get accolades for simply offering that kid?

And then we find out that other A-10 schools have already offered Beran, but yet those schools aren't good enough. Except that, that other A-10 school is picked to be a Top 4 A-10 team, while we are picked to be a Bottom 4 A-10 team and oh yeah, that same A-10 school has also taken us to the woodshed consistently over the past couple of years.

I guess if your pro-Mooney, this is what you have to resort yourself to now.

Reactions: CarolinaSpider
I was on vacation but had to revisit this gem. First of all, 05 is the moderator, and while I would like him to be fully on board with canning Mooney and his underachieving staff, he has consistently played the role of moderating this board and as such has never taken a public stance on what to do with Mooney.

Secondly, now we are suppossed to praise our staff for just offering a kid. There are around 350 D-1 schools, every single coach at this schools can extend offers to whomever they like. Longwood could offer a guy who blows up, does the Longwood coach get accolades for simply offering that kid?

And then we find out that other A-10 schools have already offered Beran, but yet those schools aren't good enough. Except that, that other A-10 school is picked to be a Top 4 A-10 team, while we are picked to be a Bottom 4 A-10 team and oh yeah, that same A-10 school has also taken us to the woodshed consistently over the past couple of years.

97, see 05's comments on the premium board. Are you a member?

You can talk the talk, but can you walk the walk, Coach Mooney?

Ulla, you should be glad I'm not a member of the premium board. No, I've made a decision to not invest any more money than I have to in a program that I don't have a lot of faith in right now. If Hardt steps up and makes the neccesary call after this year, my investment both financial and otherwise in our MBB program will increase significantly.

97, see 05's comments on the premium board. Are you a member?

If this is the post you're referring to, then you're still really far off base.

My posts from 4/8.
"I don't think there's any way to put lipstick on the pig of Khwan's transfer. Good minutes, good performer, no problems, well-liked guy. Effectively the same team coming back next year. Still goes.
The last two years we got off to horrible starts. Next year, we had everyone coming back and could have likely skirted the problem. Now, we are likely going to have to integrate a new piece into the rotation, which can cause problems.

If I'm Hardt, I'm forcing a change. We've really sniffed the tourney just once in last 7. History of recruiting misses and now some defections will likely cause us to be shorthanded next year. I'm requiring a State of the Program meeting with analysis, starting from the top. Self-reflection is a powerful tool.

At the end of that meeting, I'm informing Mooney that he needs to shore up programatic weaknesses by finding help in the form of a new assistant coach. I will work to solve any other perceived weaknesses and keep those off coach's plate.

We decide on a standard to evaluate the program and if we don't meet that standard the following winter, we are looking to make a change at the top.

The operating model has been largely the same. Our staff doesn't know what it doesn't know. Some new, seasoned perspectives and best practices would be healthy. My company had been doing some things the same way for years because no one knew how to do things differently. We're getting some really good results from the new ideas that have been brought in from new hires.

I personally don't need the results of the self-reflection to be made public nor the specific standards (I think you need some room for subjectivity and publicizing standards makes that more difficult). I would like some public but that's more of a nice-to-have.

As you may know, I'm a huge ND football fan. Brian Kelly took over a somewhat broken program, built them into a National Championship contending team, only to REALLY struggle in '16. He completely overhauled the program after the season and was very successful last year. (Brian Kelly's path is similar to Mooney's) Here's a long SI article on Kelly's program overhaul (https://www.si.com/college-football/2017/03/08/brian-kelly-notre-dame-fighting-irish-changes). Cliffnotes: 17 new staff, held candid interviews with all players, adjusted attitudes, spent more time showing players he cared, and this statement:

“Why did we do this? Why did we go through all this? Why did we hire all these new coaches? We did it because there’s a tradition of excellence that I need to live up to. Period. I didn’t live up to it, and I’m going to make sure that never happens again.”

If this is the post you're referring to, then you're still really far off base.

My posts from 4/8.
"I don't think there's any way to put lipstick on the pig of Khwan's transfer. Good minutes, good performer, no problems, well-liked guy. Effectively the same team coming back next year. Still goes.
The last two years we got off to horrible starts. Next year, we had everyone coming back and could have likely skirted the problem. Now, we are likely going to have to integrate a new piece into the rotation, which can cause problems.

If I'm Hardt, I'm forcing a change. We've really sniffed the tourney just once in last 7. History of recruiting misses and now some defections will likely cause us to be shorthanded next year. I'm requiring a State of the Program meeting with analysis, starting from the top. Self-reflection is a powerful tool.

At the end of that meeting, I'm informing Mooney that he needs to shore up programatic weaknesses by finding help in the form of a new assistant coach. I will work to solve any other perceived weaknesses and keep those off coach's plate.

We decide on a standard to evaluate the program and if we don't meet that standard the following winter, we are looking to make a change at the top.

The operating model has been largely the same. Our staff doesn't know what it doesn't know. Some new, seasoned perspectives and best practices would be healthy. My company had been doing some things the same way for years because no one knew how to do things differently. We're getting some really good results from the new ideas that have been brought in from new hires.

I personally don't need the results of the self-reflection to be made public nor the specific standards (I think you need some room for subjectivity and publicizing standards makes that more difficult). I would like some public but that's more of a nice-to-have.

As you may know, I'm a huge ND football fan. Brian Kelly took over a somewhat broken program, built them into a National Championship contending team, only to REALLY struggle in '16. He completely overhauled the program after the season and was very successful last year. (Brian Kelly's path is similar to Mooney's) Here's a long SI article on Kelly's program overhaul (https://www.si.com/college-football/2017/03/08/brian-kelly-notre-dame-fighting-irish-changes). Cliffnotes: 17 new staff, held candid interviews with all players, adjusted attitudes, spent more time showing players he cared, and this statement:

05. Thanks for sharing those observations. I have been quite public for a number of years about the need to shake things up with our assistant coaches and of course that hasn't happened, except from when Brunt left for Miami, a few years back.

Your quote from Kelly is something I think many of us have been craving from Mooney for years. For him to just acknowledge that the program has not met expectations and that he needed to adjust things. Talk is cheap and actions speak louder than words, but we can't even get the cheap talk from Mooney.

All this is to say from me is I have lost complete faith in Mooney's leadership abilities. Good leaders can take the pulse of the program, organization, company, etc.. and when things are not firing on all cylinders, will first take accountability for that and secondly will institute changes to get things back on track. Mooney has done neither. That is simply bad leadership. A couple of his more candid moments this past year (his 26 second interview, refusing to answer what he might have done differently on the radio show in reference to our terrible start next year) further illustrated someone who is not even confident in his own leadership abilities).

I think this mindset was fostered by the Gill regime, who also had some leadership issues, and again from my perch, Hardt is bringing a different mindset back to UR and that is desperately needed. Fortunately, our football coach already has strong and confident leadership skills, our women's coach has seemingly responded by really going out and getting some strong recruits, whereas we see what is happening with the men's program.

Unless Mooney really pulls out an unexpected season this year, I think the die is cast on where this is headed.

05. Thanks for sharing those observations. I have been quite public for a number of years about the need to shake things up with our assistant coaches and of course that hasn't happened, except from when Brunt left for Miami, a few years back.

Your quote from Kelly is something I think many of us have been craving from Mooney for years. For him to just acknowledge that the program has not met expectations and that he needed to adjust things. Talk is cheap and actions speak louder than words, but we can't even get the cheap talk from Mooney.

All this is to say from me is I have lost complete faith in Mooney's leadership abilities. Good leaders can take the pulse of the program, organization, company, etc.. and when things are not firing on all cylinders, will first take accountability for that and secondly will institute changes to get things back on track. Mooney has done neither. That is simply bad leadership. A couple of his more candid moments this past year (his 26 second interview, refusing to answer what he might have done differently on the radio show in reference to our terrible start next year) further illustrated someone who is not even confident in his own leadership abilities).

I think this mindset was fostered by the Gill regime, who also had some leadership issues, and again from my perch, Hardt is bringing a different mindset back to UR and that is desperately needed. Fortunately, our football coach already has strong and confident leadership skills, our women's coach has seemingly responded by really going out and getting some strong recruits, whereas we see what is happening with the men's program.

Unless Mooney really pulls out an unexpected season this year, I think the die is cast on where this is headed.
97, don't have a heart attack, but I would agree with many of your observations. However, I will support our coaches. Having said that, I believe that we will be improved this year and advance in the NCAA tournament the following year. Let's see what happens.

Reactions: 97spiderfan
Any word on our involvement with him? Would be a fantastic pickup by the staff.
Believe Robbie is dazzled by the bright lights. He will definitely go to a team from a P6 conference. Just had an official visit to Virginia Tech.

Believe Robbie is dazzled by the bright lights. He will definitely go to a team from a P6 conference. Just had an official visit to Virginia Tech.

That's what I am suspecting, but I hope the staff keeps recruiting him hard. He has the opportunity to play under the bright lights here and we will have great resources and facilities that rival P6 schools. Seems like we can be the perfect fit for him. He comes from a smaller private academic school in Collegiate, Richmond is his hometown, and he is the type of big that Mooney loves implementing in his system. Seems like a great overall fit for our program. Not to mention he was recently named #100 on ESPN recruiting site: http://www.espn.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/235630/robbie-beran

That's what I am suspecting, but I hope the staff keeps recruiting him hard. He has the opportunity to play under the bright lights here and we will have great resources and facilities that rival P6 schools. Seems like we can be the perfect fit for him. He comes from a smaller private academic school in Collegiate, Richmond is his hometown, and he is the type of big that Mooney loves implementing in his system. Seems like a great overall fit for our program. Not to mention he was recently named #100 on ESPN recruiting site: http://www.espn.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/235630/robbie-beran
17, got a visitor coming soon who is also a good fit. Let’s see what happens.

I don’t think we have any shot at this kid unless he wants to stay home. Fortunately his official visit list doesn’t impact us, if he wants to visit he can jump on his Schwinn and pedal over to the RC.

I don’t think we have any shot at this kid unless he wants to stay home. Fortunately his official visit list doesn’t impact us, if he wants to visit he can jump on his Schwinn and pedal over to the RC.
Robbie has been training at the Weinstein Center and RC most of the summer.

Trainer picks gym so Weinstein gym means nothing. 0% chance with Beran. I assume he's being courteous to those UR alum that are Collegiate alum or staff by making it seem like UR still in the running.
I haven't seen any indication that we are still in the running. I hate so say it, but he would have to be crazy to commit here until we get a new coach - which doesn't seem like it will work with the timing.

Trainer picks gym so Weinstein gym means nothing. 0% chance with Beran. I assume he's being courteous to those UR alum that are Collegiate alum or staff by making it seem like UR still in the running.
Yes if you’ll check post 154 you’ll see I think we have no shot at this kid. I’d still rather him train at our gym than yours.

Reactions: gospidersgo
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT