ADVERTISEMENT

Robbie Beran - 2019 Offer

Whatever the case, Robbie is now picking up major college offers. Mooney opportunity to land him has passed. We can talk more about him on here for casual interest but let us not delude ourselves into thinking he is coming here, so long as Mooney is our coach.

The fact KState offered often signifies the recruit has academic issues; 94.9% acceptance rate.
I know a 2020 PG who just got offered by Kennesaw State.
No disrespect to Kennesaw State, but the kid has multiple Ivy offers already.

Whatever the case, Robbie is now picking up major college offers. Mooney opportunity to land him has passed. We can talk more about him on here for casual interest but let us not delude ourselves into thinking he is coming here, so long as Mooney is our coach.
If Beran actually makes the dreadful decision to trek out to KSU, that would put us back in the hunt 97. Actually going there is a reason to give a kid pause about whether he wants to spend 4 years in Manhattan KS. It's just in the middle of nowhere.

Tbone, that is beside the point - he has ACC offers now - bye bye. I know a guy that played linebacker at K-State and all his kids are going there. They love it - but possibly that could be an affect of dad taking too many shots to the head :) :). Anyway, this is the pattern - once a kid starts getting ACC offers he is gone. Buck was the exception - though I know he was being listed as offers from Michigan and UVA at one point, though not sure if those were confirmed.

we're not beating ACC offers ... unless there's a special situation.
like a local kid.

Tbone, that is beside the point - he has ACC offers now - bye bye. I know a guy that played linebacker at K-State and all his kids are going there. They love it - but possibly that could be an affect of dad taking too many shots to the head :) :). Anyway, this is the pattern - once a kid starts getting ACC offers he is gone. Buck was the exception - though I know he was being listed as offers from Michigan and UVA at one point, though not sure if those were confirmed.

Sal had offers from Seton Hall and Minnesota.

Reactions: plydogg and urfan1

just want to check w/ you, since we made our offer, according to verbal commits, it was safe to say that we were best offer he had at time. By your theory of recruiting, that was a bad recruit for us, no?

Shockingly, someone worked hard and improved, hence better offers.

I am not delusional about whether he will come here or not. He may want to get away from Richmond for college for all I know.

Remind me again, how many recruits did Dick or John B out recruit the ACC for? I can think off a half dozen that Dick lost to the P5, including Steve Smith who went to Michigan State.

I know that everything in your mind you have to assign blame for everything, but if you were 18 and in these kids shoes, who would you pick?

Reactions: plydogg
one more comment on recruiting...if i had a child who was a A10 prospect/borderline P5, I would advise him to wait until the very last minute to commit. The game is changing so fast, the transfer market so crazy that there is no reason to commit so early.

I understand the sentiment. I’m just saying that anyone who makes the actual trek to (m)anhattan will understand it’s a fairly desolate locale and not necessarily worth whatever prestige there is in being at a mid tier P5 program. I expect he’ll get other offers though which I think is your point.

one more comment on recruiting...if i had a child who was a A10 prospect/borderline P5, I would advise him to wait until the very last minute to commit. The game is changing so fast, the transfer market so crazy that there is no reason to commit so early.
there's always a reason to commit early. there are multiple offers out for your kid's spot. if he waits, his spot can get taken.
you want to make the decision, not have it made for you.

there's always a reason to commit early. there are multiple offers out for your kid's spot. if he waits, his spot can get taken.
you want to make the decision, not have it made for you.

old school thinking. between coaching changes, Grad transfers, etc, there are plenty of spots available in the spring. Look at Bryce Golden, had 6 offers he didn't have before he committed to Pitt.

Talking basketball here. Curtis Blair picked us over Wake. Jarod Stevenson picked us over NC State. It does happen, but not now with our lack of recent success. Give us a dynamic coach and NCAA appearance and I will be back on board with our chances vs ACC for an occasional win.

Sal picked us over Minnesota and Seton Hall.

Reactions: urfan1
old school thinking. between coaching changes, Grad transfers, etc, there are plenty of spots available in the spring. Look at Bryce Golden, had 6 offers he didn't have before he committed to Pitt.
it's risky. if you have the offer you want, take it. for as many guys that get more offers late, there are just as many that have less. yes, if you're a stud you'll always have options. depends on your level.

Reactions: gospidersgo
just want to check w/ you, since we made our offer, according to verbal commits, it was safe to say that we were best offer he had at time. By your theory of recruiting, that was a bad recruit for us, no?

Shockingly, someone worked hard and improved, hence better offers.

I am not delusional about whether he will come here or not. He may want to get away from Richmond for college for all I know.

Remind me again, how many recruits did Dick or John B out recruit the ACC for? I can think off a half dozen that Dick lost to the P5, including Steve Smith who went to Michigan State.

I know that everything in your mind you have to assign blame for everything, but if you were 18 and in these kids shoes, who would you pick?

I assign blame for our continued failed recruiting on Chris Mooney and his staff. Plenty of A-10 coaches are getting kids to commit who have had multiple BCS offers. Yes, we got 1 recruit this year who had BCS offers. Problem is we brought in 3 others who had a combined 2 total offers between them. This is Mooney's problem, he lands 1 good player per class but largely whiffs on the other ones. Ergo, we often have a strong 3-4 players but no bench.

As for Tarrant and Beilein, Tarrant was here when we were a CAA school and most of Beilein tenure we were also a CAA school. Whole different ballgame recruiting for an A-10 school.

Finely, as for Robbie Berren, obviously a good recruit. We were on him early when he was not highly recruited, but Mooney does this every year, he identifies good talent, but can't close the deal on that talent and then we are left with our 3rd, 4th, or 5th tier options.

It is fascinating to me, in that we have a lot of offers out to players but only one player has routine updates on his non-UR recruiting.
05, am following our other guys and will update when there is news.

0% chance of getting this kid. Started too late, should have had a relationship that's been building over the last couple years offer or no offer. Going to continue to lose Richmond area kids if we don't pick up the pace quicker. Bet you Richmond won't be the first A10 offer that the Burke Smith kid gets you watch. There's also a class of 2021 big at Steward name Efton Reid who I assume has good academics and they should be talking to that kid now even if it's just sending letters.

Unfortunately, even with local kids we are going to be unlikely to land kids with P5 prospects so long as we fail to make the tournament. It’s an unfortunate catch-22.

Unfortunately, even with local kids we are going to be unlikely to land kids with P5 prospects so long as we fail to make the tournament. It’s an unfortunate catch-22.
Tournament makes no difference here. It’s the difference in being in the A10 vs a P6 conference. Unless there are academic deficiencies which in that case we are not in play.

Tournament makes no difference here. It’s the difference in being in the A10 vs a P6 conference. Unless there are academic deficiencies which in that case we are not in play.
Are you saying that being in the tournament isn’t relevant to these kids or that it isn’t relevant in berans case? My comment is generalized, so you should take it in that context, but I think we are going to have a difficult time landing guys with P5 offers regularly without a recent history of post season appearances.

0% chance of getting this kid. Started too late, should have had a relationship that's been building over the last couple years offer or no offer. Going to continue to lose Richmond area kids if we don't pick up the pace quicker. Bet you Richmond won't be the first A10 offer that the Burke Smith kid gets you watch. There's also a class of 2021 big at Steward name Efton Reid who I assume has good academics and they should be talking to that kid now even if it's just sending letters.
you know there's rule's, right? can't even send letters these days to a 2021.

Reactions: plydogg
Don't kid yourself, NCAA tournament appearances are extremely high on the list of every big time college basketball recruit. It doesn't take a genius to understand that consistent NCAA success correlates with a high quality program, i.e good coaching, favorable moments, exposure, and future opportunities.

Gonzaga is exhibit # 1 when it comes to proving that a school doesn't have to be in P6 conference to compete for high level recruits. There are many others. If the Spiders were playing in the tournament and competing at the highest levels year after year you would find a large percentage of the top quality recruits staying home.

Keep it civil guys. Will vouch for 23, 97 and Ulla. I've had the good fortune of meeting two of them.

The city has been putting out some serious talent over the last decade or so and we need to do everything we can to identify these guys as early as possible. Sherod's continued success will help prove us to be a viable destination for the RVA guys.

Beran to UR would be HUGE, literally a game changer - but it is not going to happen. Wisconsin looks like a perfect match for him.

I’ve always believed 97 and 23 are vcu trolls. All negative all the time! Don’t doubt me.
Had you been around these boards and our programs for more than a hot minute, you would realize that inaccuracy of your post. I'm an alum, have been a season ticket holder for more than 15 years, attended nearly every home game and numerous away games for nearly 25 years now.

There is not much a bigger Spider fan than I. Which is why it pains me to see our program in the state that it is now. The ONLY solution to getting our program back where I think it should be and can be is new leadership. The gradual but consistent slide of our program over the past 7 years, I think has allowed some Spider fans to just accept this is the normal normal with the reduced expectations for our program that go along with it.

Other fans like myself have had enough and are going to say the Emperor has no clothes as many times as it needs to be said until change ultimately occurs.

If that makes me negative in your eyes, that is OK, I can accept that. I continue to look forward to the time when we employ a head coach who makes us all proud to be Spider fans and unites our fan base around championship contending winning basketball. Until then though, the Emperor has no clothes.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT