ADVERTISEMENT

RICHMOND SPIDERS - ATLANTIC 10 REGULAR SEASON CHAMPIONS

What?
i‘m looking for the rocket scientist that hate our A.D. and want Mooney fired.
Where is Mr. Billboard ? The biggest know nothing on this site.

• Haha
Reactions: Gallipoli
What?
I mean at the time it was perfectly reasonable. Give mooney credit for turning it around some but at the end of the day only 3 ncaa tournaments in 19 years with as much as we’re paying him is not acceptable. We’re not paying him 2.6 million to be average.

I mean at the time it was perfectly reasonable. Give mooney credit for turning it around some but at the end of the day only 3 ncaa tournaments in 19 years with as much as we’re paying him is not acceptable. We’re not paying him 2.6 million to be average.
You can’t even give them credit now. You still have to find fault and belittle accomplishments.
It’s too bad that you can’t be happy without caveats holding you back from comfort of the success.

Reactions: gcarter52
429811935_10159987584358059_7121672947406603213_n.jpg

What?
I have to credit the administration for 1) sticking with Coach Mooney and 2) finally getting out of the way to let him do his job. They realized they were part of the problem.

Congratulations Spiders! I have been talking about team chemistry for years and this team has it. Following the year with the most transfer turnover, it is even more surprising that such strong chemistry was created. Such a contrast between last year’s “superstar” model to this year’s team effort. Everyone on this team knows their role and plays it well. “United we are stronger” seems to be an apt motto.

Hope the team keeps gritting it out and makes it to the tournament. Such a great group of young men to support. Go Spiders!

What?
We can talk about if 1 for 19 is acceptable another time. Can't you simply enjoy the A10 Championship for a day or two? Good grief.

Well done Spiders. Incredible year. And it's not done yet! Crush Mason and win the A10 Tournament!

Great job by the team, great job by the coaching staff, including Coach Mooney. Integrating these transfers to grab a conference title is really special. I have certainly been a Mooney detractor and I am still leery, but you can't deny he did an incredible job this year. Let's enjoy the title and hope the conference tourney provides an avenue to the tournament.

This season also shows potential transfers that they can come in to Richmond basketball and succeed and flourish as well. Big plus for future classes.

Doesn't he already have a lifetime contract?
haha, exactly my thought. So maybe we "grant" him a double life time. Too funny everyone gets triggered by a positive outcome.

I do agree this is his best coaching job to date, great job in the portal, team building, the entire season - just a little let down OOC (UNI, etc) but that comes with a long season. If we can get Mooney 2 out of 3 NCAA's I am willing to say 100% he is back!!

Let's finish the job!!

This season also shows potential transfers that they can come in to Richmond basketball and succeed and flourish as well. Big plus for future classes.
Agree completely here. As soon as we wrap up that bid, need Boyden and Gipe carving out a little time to come up with a plan to target and obtain the replacements in the portal. Should be able to really put some strong materials together to get an audience with top players for the couple open spots.

the day they all race to their keyboard snd start with "I'm one of his biggest detractors...." Next November or next week or whenever, they'll be back, with burn it down and blow it up

I've been as big a critic of Mooney as anyone, and IMO it was deserved criticism for failing to have us in this type of position -- with a legitimate chance to win the league, win the A-10 tourney and/or make the NCAAs -- at least every 2-3 years for about a decade. But in the past 5 years, we have been now in this position 3 times. That's about what I would expect for the money we have committed to the program and to him.

I don't know what has changed, and frankly I don't really care. He and the program are now doing the things that we all believed were possible and the things that should have been expected, and it feels great.

Let's finish the job!!

This. NCAA or bust. Great coaching job, great job players, great program accomplishment. and Mooney isn't going anywhere, he wasn't regardless. But we'd all trade reg season title for NCAA. The season does lose luster if we're not in NCAA. It sucks to be 15-2 and 1st and not be thinking about ncaa seeding but here we are.

Grant and Gabe and any player should mock the billboard. I believe the "lifetime contract" is probably more of a joke in response to billboard, a deserved joke. at same time, it's still weird to hear in any context even tho it has legs, all 8. Because if u asked anyone, even Mooney, at beginning of his tenure what would happen if u went potentially 3 for 19 NCAA and 9-25 vs. VCU, they would all say impossible nobody would last that long to do it at a school that supports mens ball and has the resources of Richmond. And yet reality is he might be looking at extension out to 2030. I dont care who disagrees I will never get that standard.

But we get NCAA then like spider23 I say Mooney's 100% back too!

Reactions: Eight Legger
the day they all race to their keyboard snd start with "I'm one of his biggest detractors...." Next November or next week or whenever, they'll be back, with burn it down and blow it up
Yes, not sure all the hurt from the mooney above all crowd. He has made millions, Ford at SLU millions, slick rick junior at New Mexico millions. If you are coaching high D1 for millions, it is part of the job. If you don't like it, go back to D3. Lots of GREAT coaches in D3, and guess what they are hoops purists, and they can live in this vacuum of hoops. Little to no worry about boosters, billboards, fans, twitter, NIL, etc. But also you are not on TV and getting national recognition. Same goes for NFL coaches, etc.

I don't know what has changed, and frankly I don't really care. He and the program are now doing the things that we all believed were possible and the things that should have been expected, and it feels great.
The administration changed. We actually got an AD who helped navigate the administration and admissions. Remember, Keith Gill wrecked our football program and our basketball program. Admissions would have never let Jordan King in.

Last edited:
Reactions: bullfrog91
Yes, not sure all the hurt from the mooney above all crowd. He has made millions, Ford at SLU millions, slick rick junior at New Mexico millions. If you are coaching high D1 for millions, it is part of the job. If you don't like it, go back to D3. Lots of GREAT coaches in D3, and guess what they are hoops purists, and they can live in this vacuum of hoops. Little to no worry about boosters, billboards, fans, twitter, NIL, etc. But also you are not on TV and getting national recognition. Same goes for NFL coaches, etc.
Just admit it. The future is bright. You will feel better.

Spoke to John Hardt after the game yesterday (very personable and approachable btw). Told him he needed to be careful with all of these championships he was setting a high bar for himself. He chuckled and said yes but it was fun And that is why he came here, he saw this potential. I agreed and said I felt we had alignment with administration and he seemed to agree. The future is bright.

Reactions: Spiders4ever
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT