ADVERTISEMENT

Richmond Defeats VMI 42-10

mojo-spider

Team Manager
Gold Member
Dec 31, 2010
at 2-1 Spiders are right where most of us thought they would be going into CAA play in two weeks...satisfied and encouraged by what I've seen so far...

glad we got a pretty comfortable win over the Keydets tonight...and hope we didn't suffer any further serious injuries...

the team took another step in its development tonight, defeating convincingly a team it should defeat convincingly

think the team still has to get better to compete with the best in CAA, we now have two weeks to rest a little, heal some injuries and get better for the Black Bears who will be the best FCS team we have faced this year...

A few good plays and some recap for those who weren't there and didn't see the broadcast...

Go Spiders!

Solid effort by the Spiders yesterday. We are a work in progress but have some exciting players to watch grow as the season moves on. Lots of talent on this roster and staff is trying to build some depth playing younger guys early in year.

We are playing a lot of young guys. I agree that the future of Spider football is bright. I continue to be impressed with Lauletta. He moved well in the pocket yesterday and made several accurate throws on the run. I wouldnt call him fast, but is able to extend plays and will run if he has the opportunity. He is not turning the ball over either. It was great to be back at RS yesterday afternoon.

We looked pretty good. Admittedly I was worried about the game (VMI had given Ball State a scare) It was good to see Fisher running like his old self, the defense stuffed the run, the four man pass rush was better but we still needed to blitz. Containing a running QB needs some work as well. 4 picks certainly helped. For a walk on, ex lacrosse player Mr. Day had a great game.
Why was Diggs around the training table for most of the first half?

A week off should give us some time to work on a few things and get healthy before conference play begins.

looked like he got a shoulder stinger that got worked out

Maine also has a supposed off week before we play them.Black Bears host URI next weekend after 2 consecutive FBS games-Boston College and Tulane.Should be a cakewalk for Maine now at 0-2.

Green Wave won 38-7 in NOLA yesterday.Cosgrove et al picked up a check for $325,000 as an attendance prize.

https://bangordailynews.com/2015/09...maine-football-battles-tulane-in-new-orleans/

One key concern for UMaine was a fourth-quarter injury to starting quarterback Dan Collins (11-for-25, 131 yards passing, 2 interceptions). The junior was seen with a large wrap on his throwing (right) hand and did not return to action.

Last edited:
Two complaints I have about the offense-
Horrible clock management at the last minutes of the first half- didn't seem to know what to do.

Secondly, let's put Broadus in on this play- only the entire stadium and VMI defense knew he was
going to run. What the heck was that all about?

Reactions: SpiderK
Annap, I would assume the Broadus continually running play will eventually set up a pass. No need to have him throw against VMI, but if we get in a good one with Maine, I think that is when they would have him throw.

agree that we are setting pass up with DB running every time he touches the ball. can't set it up if you let him throw it, has to be saved for the right time and in a 42-10 game, not really the time or place.

On another note have to give major props to Peter Yoder. All of his kickoffs except one went well into the end zone with no run back. Don't remember when we have had a kicker kick consistently so deep on kickoffs before. Maybe Brendon Toiben?

It has been a pleasure to watch Peter develop into an All-Conference and All-American athlete. He has clearly worked hard to add mass, bulk, and strength to boom those kickoffs into the end zone. Keep it up, Peter.

Reactions: spidermex
Big thumbs up to the O-line,outstanding pass protection, great job picking up the VMI schemes and blitzs ! Run blocking unreal,I quit counting in the first half the number of pancakes O-line had,more important they seem to improve as a unit each week !

I did not get to watch the game. I see that Brian Brown did not catch a pass. Did he play and is he ok?

Sorry...I just saw the Brian Brown post. Hopefully, the extra week will help him get healthy. He's a very good player.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT