ADVERTISEMENT

Richmond Basketball Introduces Scholarship Freshmen

Those were great little videos of our new freshman goal. One of Julius's goals for the year is to win A-10 freshman of the year. I like that attitude.

Reactions: gcarter52
I was very impressed with the interviews of our three freshmen as well. Each of them are showing signs of something special on the horizon for the Spiders this upcoming season. Maybe it is me, but I sense that the Spider staff feel the same way too.I can't wait for the season to start lol.

All three freshmen were impressive. How our coaches find such fine young men who happen to be really good players is amazing. Cannot wait for the season to start.

I was very impressed with the interviews of our three freshmen as well. Each of them are showing signs of something special on the horizon for the Spiders this upcoming season. Maybe it is me, but I sense that the Spider staff feel the same way too.I can't wait for the season to start lol.

Agreed. We appear to have gotten 3 very motivated/hungry players.

I like the energy coming off all 3 of these kids.

Agree, also like that they aren't the string beans that have come in the last few years and transferred out. While that has no bearing on whether they will be good or not, they at least appear to be a bit more physically "college-ready" than recent classes.

Agree, also like that they aren't the string beans that have come in the last few years and transferred out. While that has no bearing on whether they will be good or not, they at least appear to be a bit more physically "college-ready" than recent classes.

Let the games begin!!! Got that right!!

Dominaus is probably the thinist player I've seen in awhile but he's got one big desire and I'll bet he's gonna play tuff. I don't see him backing down to any challenge. Really like him. It's hard to pick a favorite between our three freshmen.

Dominaus is probably the thinist player I've seen in awhile but he's got one big desire and I'll bet he's gonna play tuff. I don't see him backing down to any challenge. Really like him. It's hard to pick a favorite between our three freshmen.
That's good to hear for sure!!

Maybe since the "lean stringbean scoring machine" made people forget about the "round mound of rebound" in 1984?

I really like the fact that all 3 of these guys can shoot.

Dominaus said that his strength was shooting the 3, which matches what his highlight video showed.
Johnson is a scorer (much like Kevin Anderson) who said he models his game after Stephen Curry. Pistokache also said he modeled his game after Curry, and he was stroking them from about 5-ft beyond the top of the key.

I think that there is good reason to be optimistic. These recruits match the type of system that Mooney says he likes to run, which has not really been the case with many of the players in the last few years.

Reactions: 64Spider
I really like the fact that all 3 of these guys can shoot.

Dominaus said that his strength was shooting the 3, which matches what his highlight video showed.
Johnson is a scorer (much like Kevin Anderson) who said he models his game after Stephen Curry. Pistokache also said he modeled his game after Curry, and he was stroking them from about 5-ft beyond the top of the key.

I think that there is good reason to be optimistic. These recruits match the type of system that Mooney says he likes to run, which has not really been the case with many of the players in the last few years.
Homer, agree 100%. In addition, Marshall Wood was known for his three point shooting in high school, and both Paul Friendshuh and Khwan Fore were good shooters. If Coach can figure out how to meld this talent, I'm feeling really good about this season.

again, the proof comes in college games not from practice or high school videos. want all these guys' games to translate to the A-10 but as we all know, have seen, does not always happen. will wait to see that happen and then join all you guys with the gushing compliments, outlook.

Happy 4th to my Spider Brethren!! I totally understand your skepticism as we move towards a new season. Yes sir, the proof does come in the games we play but let's not forget that how we play is determined to a much larger extent on how we practice. Games are still won in practice. The atmosphere among our incoming freshmen has a different feel than in the recent past. My hope reins supreme!!!

Reactions: 64Spider and Ulla1
Happy and safe 4th to all. I have reason to feel optimistic for the upcoming season, but will wait to see how the talents translate and meld into a unit. But in the meantime I will enjoy the ride.

Who will see the floor first out of our three true freshmen?

Jesse likes the style of our play.. I think this tells to me everything
Fezz, I agree that it is nice that Jesse likes the way we play. Even better, Julius' high school coach used Chris Mooney's system. Looks like maybe we figured something out with these recruits. DukeDenver told me that Jesse and Julius look like 4-star players; have to agree based on their size and skill set.

I'm going to assume KoVien has the toughest road to playing time, but may the best man play. it'll be interesting to see who emerges first. love to see Jesse's range and high release, but Julius' shot looks so smooth and effortless. both look strong and fit ... ready to go. maybe they'll come in together at the 12 minute mark of the 1st game.

My guess is Julius sees the court first. He was our number one target. Hopefully our first few games will be easy enough that the freshmen will see a good amount of minutes.

The really telling moment will be if we start a freshman at the two, or if they come on as subs.

Still expecting that we see Trey at the SG spot until there's some confidence that a better lineup exists.

I do think that our best lineup has him (or another) at the 3, with one of these guys at our 2 guard spot, all of which is based on pure speculation that there's a true shooting guard in this mix. Total guesswork obviously.

I know this is the freshman thread but looking at the entire roster does show a bit of symmetry.
(3) Terry, TJ, & Shawndre - on offense
(2) Trey & Deion - on defense
(2) Josh & Marshall - with 2 years court experience
(2) Khwan & Paul - with a year of system experience
(3) Julius, Jesse & Kovien - true freshmen

My guess is Julius sees the court first. He was our number one target. Hopefully our first few games will be easy enough that the freshmen will see a good amount of minutes.

It looks like Jesse and Julius are very similar players. Both strong, well developed 6'2 guards. Jesse might have a bit more flexibility in being able to play as a PG, but would think he would be behind SDJ and Khwan at that position. This is going to be an interesting battle to see who earns the most time. Both look quite capable.

My guess is that no frosh will start at any point this season UNLESS an injury occurs.

We already know ShawnDre, Cline, and Allen and Davis are LOCKS to start next season. Depending on where you think Davis will play - the 2 or 3, may determine who gets the 5th spot. But either way - I think Mooney goes with an upperclassmen. It could be Wood, and we go a little bigger and pick up some shooting as he seemed to be an average shooter at Va Tech. This would give us 3 guys at 6-8 in the starting line up, but probably the only struggle on defense would be Cline. Or I think Mooney goes with Josh Jones. He started to see some good minutes the tail end of the season, and seems to be a pretty good shooter. I don't see him playing 30+ minutes a game, but I could see him starting and playing about 22-25 minutes a night.

Would agree Trap, except that if Trey starts at SF, then we are likely going to see a "frosh" start. I don't think CM sees Josh as a starter in spite of the uptick in his play at the end of this past year.

So that would leave 3 guys to fill the 2G or PG spot (if SDJ has to move to 2G). All three of those guys are freshmen (Julius/Jesse, and Khwan by virtue of the redshirt).

I don't typically anoint the newcomers as our saviors and starters from day one as many are apt to do, but I do think that there's a decent chance that this might be the exception year where that occurs.

Josh and Trey both play the same position in my book, which is that of 3, who plays the 2 right now for us because we lack a true 2 guard.

97, you are on my line of thinking. The only true 2G's that we have are freshmen.

Hence my argument that I think one of them will get significant playing time.

Of course, none of that holds any water if we continue to play either Trey or SDJ out of their natural spot, which has been an approach for quite some time now.

This is hopefully why the coaches went out and recruited to college ready 2 guards. I think Trey is probably going to start at 2 guard for us and Deion at the 3. My hope is that by the time conference play starts, if not earlier, one of our freshman is starting at the 2, Trey is the starting 3, and Deion is getting his minutes as defensive enforcer at the 4 and 5, spelling TA and TJ.

I think Coach will play the best 8 or 9. if the freshmen want their chance they better get the defense we run. if they're going to help right away, they can't miss rotations. I've said it before ... our defense is different but it isn't rocket science.

this freshman class (including the redshirt freshmen) should be very strong. better be, since there's no class in front of them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT