ADVERTISEMENT

Rhode Island

My only concern was giving up a 17 point lead. Still was able to pull out a win. I am not completely sold yet. If we somehow beat St.Louis I might buy in a bit more.
You won’t win many games against decent teams by 17. I know we are accustomed to late game swoons but whenever Rhody pushed us our guys managed to pushback. That’s a notable change from the last many years.

Good game by the boys. 2-0 IC with a good road win is great for confidence building.

Nice win! As much as I don't think Mooney is the future of UR basketball, impressed with him having Blake (better man up defender than Jacob) guarding Fattsless. Also 45-34 Mooney timeout and gets easy set-up play Cayo dunk.

Coaching better IMO this season but can he be trusted beyond this group of talented players? Gets a bid, get a 5 year extension and than Bad Mooney again. Like I posted previously, might be as good as it gets.. Accept it :rolleyes:
Seriously?

Growing old is tough, but the alternative isn’t much good either.

So what do you disagree with?
This part specifically - "Gets a bid, get a 5 year extension and than Bad Mooney again. Like I posted previously, might be as good as it gets.. Accept it."

The "and than Bad Mooney again" is IMO negative and short sighted. This team will be better next year, and we'll be able to build off of this year with stronger recruiting. We'll also be able to leverage the new practice facility for recruiting purposes as well.

Also, as you also pointed out, Mooney is doing a better job this year. He's switched to primarily a zone D, and has showed more flexibility in his coaching than he has in the past. It seems like he's not trying to fit his players into his predetermined style, and is adapting to the talent that he has. Yes, likely an over due adjustment, though it's actually happening now.

Yeah, we didn't give up a17-point lead because we were always leading. A lead like that on the road especially is great because it gives you room to have 3 or 4 bad possessions consecutively and still be winning by a decent margin.

This part specifically - "Gets a bid, get a 5 year extension and than Bad Mooney again. Like I posted previously, might be as good as it gets.. Accept it."

The "and than Bad Mooney again" is IMO negative and short sighted. This team will be better next year, and we'll be able to build off of this year with stronger recruiting.

Mooney gets an NCAA bid it's like card blanche for him. After too many years of sub-par Mooney how I can trust better Mooney will continue once the BEST class ever group exits. Right now I see Gust, Burton, Woj, Sal, Connor, Grace, and Wilson in tow. And the good recruiting to follow I'll wait and see first.

Mooney gets an NCAA bid it's like card blanche for him. After too many years of sub-par Mooney how I can trust better Mooney will continue once the BEST class ever group exits. Right now I see Gust, Burton, Woj, Sal, Connor, Grace, and Wilson in tow. And the good recruiting to follow I'll wait and see first.

I would like to reply, but apparently I make things worse when I do. So, I guess we should only hear negative talk on here, and not reply to it or counter it.

I would like to reply, but apparently I make things worse when I do.

Even though with your honeymoon posting here you maybe could be classified as the biggest Mooney shill here, of late I have been predominately in agreement with your statements. That said, your above post could be the most truthful one yet.

Fair points. However, several things have changed in the last few years that I believe are significant factors.

1 - New AD - JH is going to fight to get the Malcom Bernards in UR. The good kids who may be points off on GPA or test scores. So, CM will not be as hampered as he has in the past with borderline recruits. I know this as a fact.

2. Change in Coaching - Coach Lewis was a great guy, though Coach Jenkins is a better recruiter and he's taken on a bigger role in that area. Gilyard said he was a major factor for him coming to UR and the same with Sal.

3. New Practice/Athletic Facility - This facility is going to be pretty incredible. This will be a great recruiting tool.

Landing Wilson was pretty significant, and I also think we'll continue to do better with graduate transfers. Each one has been better than the last, which wasn't too big a feat considering the first few. Blake though has been better than I anticipated. Hopefully, this trend will continue with Crabtree and future transfers.

Fair points. However, several things have changed in the last few years that I believe are significant factors.

1 - New AD - JH is going to fight to get the Malcom Bernards in UR. The good kids who may be points off on GPA or test scores. So, CM will not be as hampered as he has in the past with borderline recruits. I know this as a fact.

2. Change in Coaching - Coach Lewis was a great guy, though Coach Jenkins is a better recruiter and he's taken on a bigger role in that area. Gilyard said he was a major factor for him coming to UR and the same with Sal.

3. New Practice/Athletic Facility - This facility is going to be pretty incredible. This will be a great recruiting tool.

Landing Wilson was pretty significant, and I also think we'll continue to do better with graduate transfers. Each one has been better than the last, which wasn't too big a feat considering the first few. Blake though has been better than I anticipated. Hopefully, this trend will continue with Crabtree and future transfers.
If CM manages the team to the NCAA, which is still a big if, then he’s likely earning an extension. I doubt he’ll get five years, I think he’ll get additional 2(?) to keep him at four overall, enough to not be at whatever recruiting deficit that seems to be (btw he’s recruited several better than normal guys without the long term guarantee, so go figure).

I’m not sure you can call Jenkins for Lewis a coaching swap, Jenkins was already here. If you’re arguing that Lewis for Thomas was an upgrade I think it’d be hard to defend that at this early juncture. But recruiting has improved, although it seems to have picked up when brunt left, not when Lewis left.

practice facility will be an advantage to any coach here, that one’s a wash.

Glad to hear the bit on Hardt going to bat, that was not Keith’s modus operandi.

Reactions: gospidersgo
Excellent 35 minutes today. First 5 minutes were ugly and we gave up about 18.5 offensive rebounds in that time, but played great rest of the game.
I am going to concede to sman that Cayo is better than all our near missed the last 3 years. Super job all around by Nathan, save for inability to make a 10 to 15 foot jump shot. If he can add that he will be a complete player. Francis was as advertised and was big time making plays. Big game for Sherod. Nice win all around. Poor adjustments by Cox.

Dint know the stats but Gilyard out played Fatts. Defense overall was very good. Not sure why we were so bad for a 2 to 3 year period, but solid tonight.

I think this was a big win for a number of reasons.

1. We were coming off two back to back road losses, another road L might become contagious.
2. We knocked off an A-10 contender. This could be a Quad 1 or 2 win for us at the end of the year, depending upon what Rhody does.
3. Rhody has got some real talent. Fatts, Dowtin, and Langevine are 3 of the top players in the league. We won going away.

Many of our players have lost a lot that past 2 years and wins like today, I think are so good for our mental state of the team, believing that they can be something special. I know many fans need a bit more convincing.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT